Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 19:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Negative Health Effects of Food Additives in Low-Carb Diets

Press Release Source: Consumer Wellness Research Center

Negative Health Effects of Food Additives Multiplied in Low-Carb Diets, Says Consumer Wellness Research Center
Wednesday March 3, 11:01 am ET

TAICHUNG, Taiwan, March 3 /PRNewswire/ -- - A new ebook published by the Consumer Wellness Research Center reveals that people following low-carb diets are especially susceptible to the health damaging effects of certain food additives. The non-profit CWRC reveals the details in its book, "Low-Carb Diet Warning" which is offered free of charge to the public at www.ConsumerWellness.org .
ADVERTISEMENT

The book discusses how several food additives are especially worrisome to the health of low-carb dieters. First, the book takes a new look at sodium nitrite, an additive found in virtually all bacon, sausage and processed meat products. Sodium nitrite is well known to result in the formation of cancer- causing nitrosamines during digestion in the human body. These nitrosamines are highly carcinogenic and contribute to cancers of the colon, as well as brain tumors.

"Since many low-carb dieters rely heavily on bacon and other processed meats, they may be subjecting themselves to an unsafe level of exposure to sodium nitrite," says author and health researcher Mike Adams. "The USDA unsuccessfully tried to ban sodium nitrite in the 1970's, but folded under pressure from food manufacturers."

Another food additive, monosodium glutamate, is frequently added to canned soups, meat jerkies, salad dressings, frozen breaded fish and many other low- carb foods in order to enhance their otherwise bland taste. MSG consumption is strongly linked to migraine headaches and disorders of the hypothalamus gland which can disrupt normal endocrine system function. Low-Carb Diet Warning reveals how the health effects of MSG are known to be multiplied in the absence of dietary carbohydrates, making MSG especially worrisome for low- carb dieters.

The free book, Low-Carb Diet Warning, discusses many more food additives and their effects on low-carb diets. It names these additive ingredients "metabolic disruptors" for their disruptive effect on healthy human physiology. Each metabolic disruptor is discussed in detail, along with evidence and quotations from many of today's top doctors, researchers and authors.

The purpose of the book is to help consumers improve their health and avoid major diseases while following a low-carb diet. Author Mike Adams is, himself, a low-carb dieter, and offers his wisdom and experience on making the low-carb diet a healthy diet rather than one tainted with chemical additives and processed foods.

To view the free ebook, visit www.ConsumerWellness.org

Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040303/law052_1.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 19:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Why does everyone think low carbers are gobbling pounds and pounds of bacon?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 19:25

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Angry Give me a break!

Since when do we rely "heavily" on bacon and other processed meats? And when were canned soups and breaded fish considered low carb?

Personally, I only eat whole foods -- at least most of the time and certainly a lot more than I did when I ate high carb. I even make my own chorizo (Mexican sausage) and salad dressings (all nitrite and MSG free).

This smacks as just another anti-carb scare-monger.

Thanks for the post nobimbo. I needed something to get hot about.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 19:34

Plan: SBD
Stats: 200/191/180 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:watch it jiggle
Progress: 45%

This may sound nuts, but I hope the bacon and stuff loaded with nitrates gets bad press, I want those industries to change what they're doing. I pay like 4-5$ for nitrate free bacon and I think thats soooo wrong! I'm happy that low carb is the new craze only because it will mean more options for all of us. I hope there will be pressure on industries to clean up so much so, that either someone else comes on the scene with better products or these dirty scumbags clean up their sick processes.

Can you tell I have strong feelings about these things ;-)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 19:52

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I browsed their free book and on page 33 it says "When people turn to a low carbohydrate diet, they frequently rely on foods that are very low in a naturally occurring fiber—foods like meats, nuts, cow's milk and cheeses, all of which contain virtually no fiber whatsoever."

Every reference I check says that nuts are high in fiber. So I quit browsing as I lost all confidence in its validity.