Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 22:01

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default very low cholesterol result

I gave blood last week and got the cholesterol result today. They only do a total cholesterol, which was 113. I have been following the BFL diet and exercise program for 7 weeks now. The last time I had my cholesterol tested while following Schwarzbein it was 129. I think this is too low but I am confused as to what to do. I read that low cholesterol is linked to depression (which I have) and cancer (which I really don't want). I was joking with dh that I need to do the opposite of the usual advice to lower cholesterol, in which case I should:

1. eat unhealthy, high-fat foods
2. become more sedentary
3. take up smoking

But seriously, do I need to increase the saturated fats? Not sure what else to do... I have been very tired lately, don't know if that is related or if it's just due to dd waking up more at night.

Jen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 23:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

There is not a lot of information available on low cholesterol. I have heard that tribes in the Amazon jungle have levels in the low 100s and have no health problems from it.

I did find this link to a question on low cholesterol.
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0514.html
As long as the low level is natural (not forced low by drugs), I do not think there is any need to be concerned. I am curious as to what the individual components are with levels as low as you have.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 10:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Jen,

Dodger is right, it would be best to have a breakdown of the different types of cholesterol lipoproteins (HDL, LDL .. and triglycerides). As long as your HDL "good" cholesterol is over 40, I wouldn't worry too much .

FWIW, low cholesterol can be a sign of hyperthyroidism, so you might want to have that checked while you're at it.

Good luck

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 22:00

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

You look pretty young, so I wouldn't worry about it. I think most people your age would have levels around there. Mine was only 105 until I started menopause.

Like the other posters said, low cholesterol articles I've read...and I've read a bunch, since my cholesterol dropped to below 150 on meds and I developed depression....only site problems when the cholesterol is forced down by medications. Either the docs being too aggressive or patients (like me) who are unusually sensitive to the meds.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 02:56

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Thanks everyone for the replies! I guess I'll stop stressing about it for now, but I will see about doing further blood work next time I go to the dr. I did exercise before giving blood, and I read that that can affect the result.

Jen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/211/195.0 Male 73 inches
BF:32/15.26/10
Progress: 84%

when I was 18 I got tested and had a total of 108! I only weighted 168lbs. I remember my HDL was a little low 34 but I don't remember the other levels. I worked out all the time and ate extremely low fat and high carb but stayed under 2000 Calories a day. I was depressed and had crazy blood sugar levels that went sky high then way to low and had severe headaches. I don't know what it was exactly pre atkins but two weeks into the diet I had a total of 148 hdl still low 34 ldl 99 and tri 80. My glucose level was 101 and was on induction so must have been breaking down a lot of fat. I was smoking and had gained over 120lbs in a little over 5 years. I feal great now and eager to see results so I can better determine a link between low chol and depression, headaches, etc.