Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 13:36

Plan: "modified" atkins
Stats: 287/206/170 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Help, please?

Has anyone heard of this site?

http://www.konjacfoods.com/food.htm

If so...have you tried any of these no carb noodles and pasta? Or, do you know of anyone who has? Some very interesting reading there, that is for sure. Look at this:

Konjac wet foods was made by nature soluble fiber - glucomannan and water, is very low carb and very low glycemic nature food, which contain about 96% water and 4% soluble fiber. Konjac wet foods can be made into many different styles and shapes such as noodles, all kinds pasta.

Konjac wet foods is traditional Japanese foods called shirataki noodles or konnyaku.
Konjac foods, translucent and gelatinous, have no discernable taste but absorb the dominant flavors of the soup or dish to which they're added. Konjac foods have no flavors but absorb any they're with, like tofu will blend wonderfully and absorb flavors. They're supposed to absorb tastes of sauces as well.

Konjac foods are white in color, almost transparent and gelatinous, and package with water filled plastic bags. They consist primarily of a glucomannan soluble fiber, and are very low glycemic, and therefore especially good for people with diabetes.

Water-soluble fiber appears to have a greater potential to reduce postprandial blood glucose, insulin, and serum lipid levels than insoluble fiber. Viscosity of the dietary fiber is important; the greater the viscosity, the greater the effect."

The konjac glucomanann is the most viscosity soluble fiber in the nature.

The konjac foods are made of glucomannan soluble fiber, purified water and calcium hydroxide.
You can also make the konjac foods by yourself.

Konjac foods very much like Chinese glass noodles (cellophane or bean thread noodles) in taste and texture but they have almost no calories. The konjac foods are bouncy, chewy and sort of see through white.

Konajc foods come in various shapes besides the noodle shape, like mini pearl pasta, flat pasta and tube pasta. Konjac foods packaging with water in plastic bag, the konjac foods can stay in room temperature about one year. After open the plastic bag, you need drain well the konjac foods before cooking.

Konjac foods can be stored in room temperature with the shelf life about one year.
DONOT freeze the konjac foods

Konjac foods is kinds of instant foods, you can toss it with sauce like vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, onion or garlic or any flavors your favored, then just eat it in cold. You can also boil or cook the konjac foods with other vegetable, meat or seafood, with any flavor you favored.

Cooking: dip in water or steam about 3-5 minutes and than cook in the way you like. You can add various vegetables and meat which ever you like, it can be fryed, baked,stewed, braised and also used as a cold dressing with a sauce.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Thanks lilgizmo for posting, well worth trying, I will into it and may be order some, i'll let you know.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 09:24

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have had those before. We have a Japanese mall in town where we get them from!

There are multiple threads about them if you go to the top between faq and logout button and use the search button in the middle.

here is one link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=140282
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:25

BF:

thanks for the info etoiles...did you like them?
Kelly
PS: on the site it says they have 0 calories, 0 ECC, 0 fat...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:41

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

YEah they were not too bad. I think next time though I would cook them longer in some boiling water, I don't think I cooked them long enough the first time.

It was definitely nice for a change of pace!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 15:37

BF:

great! I will give them a try...been thinking about asian food...this would fit the bill...and be very filling for 0 calories!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:15

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The wet noodles (Shirataki) are best. You can even fry them and they are awesome. We usually use them as spagetti or in stir-fry. The small rice-size noodles can be used in soups and such. I did not care for the BIG tube noodles, too chewy!
Best Wishes,
Sherry
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:36

BF:

Thanks bunches Sherry! Can't wait to try...uck...chewy macaroni...lol...
Kelly
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 12:46

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

I'm a little leary about food with zero calories. Even sauces, but ususally that means that they have so few calories they don't have to state them. But noodles are pretty substantial to not have any calories. But, upon reading the ingredients more closely, I suppose tht they are just water held together with undigestible fiber with no nutritional content.

Sorry to be a lttle paranoid/analytical about food. Comes with being a biologist I guess. I may try the noodles. But I wouldn't trust them for a year in liquid at room temp like they say. I really doubt that they process their food at the cleanliness level of a biolab. Which is what a year RT with no preservatives or irradiation post-packaging would require IMHO.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:00

BF:

Centikel - I agree! Mine went straight into the fridge. They say NOT to freeze them, or I would have.

They are quite unusual, but make food a bit more versitile!
Best Wishes,
Sherry
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:06
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

I agree the shirataki noodles are awsome. I wish they didnt tangle so much but they taste great. The also make a rice sized noddle? ill have to check that out too.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 08:14

BF:

I boil them and let them dry on a towel before I use them in a recipe, then kind of separate them with my fingers. If I am making soup, I cut them with scissors to make them less "clumpy". HTH
Best Wishes,
Sherry
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 13:23

BF:

I'm gonna order some Try a stir fry...they should be very filling since they are all fiber...
Kelly