Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:16
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%
Default Pics taken of Atkins Feb 2003--does this man look obese to you?

http://business2.blogs.com/business2blog/#a0000885084

The linked photos were taken two months before his death, for a story in a business magazine.

Last edited by tholian8 : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 08:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Excellent find

Here a "permalink" when it scrolls off the blog page: http://business2.blogs.com/business...tkins_real.html

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:56
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Can't thank you enough for posting this....

I'm so upset about the way the battle goes on.

Alina
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

But how can you argue with NIH & the BMI?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 23:40
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLC
But how can you argue with NIH & the BMI?

Easily, when they're wrong!

Jude
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 13:16
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

He does not look obese to anybody and this could answer some of the mystries of the Atkins diet.

According to Dr Atkins book, a man who is 6 ft tall should weigh as follows:

Small frame: 148:158 Lbs
Medium frame:154:170 Lbs
Large frame: 164:184 Lbs.

If Dr. Atkins has gained 60 Lbs during his coma and he ended with 258 Lbs, then his weight before the accident was 198 Lbs. So, if we judge him by his weight, we find him overweight and if we judge him by his look or his measurments, we find him normal.

Atkins diet makes our bodies densier than average which is a great advantage. Also Atkins diet naturally tends to bring us to a weight which is above our goal weight then stops. Some of us force their bodies to lose more by reducing their calorie intake. Dr. Atkins, probably did not care about being slightly overweight.

I have started this diet about 10 months ago. I lost 24 Lbs very easily without counting calories in the first 4 months and lost nothing since then. Some people tell me that I look normal as is although I know I should lose more.

Now, what is this diet? Why does it make us lose so easily at the beginning and why does it stop after reaching a specific weight? What makes us weigh more and measure less? I have had many thoughts about that. Some are posted here:

Click here
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 21:48
Registered Member

Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I realize this is starting to get off-topic, but if we are to maintain an interest in legit, unbiased research we should probably stick with known research and say when we are speculating.

As far as reaching resistances at specific weights has to do with set points. Although excercise is known to have a significant effect on metabolic set points. Although there is not a lot known about mechanisms of the "set point theory".

One study in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise showed that after a group of obese people lost ~20% of their weight, their metabolic expenditure/calorie burning for walking went down about 30%. They had less work to do when they moved about due to the their weight loss. This could be another cause for the slowing effect.

As far as the Atkin's diet making you more dense. I don't know about that. Simply losing fat will make someone denser assuming their muscle weight stays the same. But is Atkin's any more significant than other weight loss plans?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 10:35

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLC
But is Atkin's any more significant than other weight loss plans?

My humble opinion is CERTAINLY. Forgive me if I've said this before, but I used to weigh around 150, worked out everyday, and ate low fat/high carb. I was a size 12.

Now I eat low carb, am active but not an exerciser, weigh around 150, and my size 10's are BAGGY.

Maybe I'm dense, but I think I'm dense.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
My humble opinion is CERTAINLY. Forgive me if I've said this before, but I used to weigh around 150, worked out everyday, and ate low fat/high carb. I was a size 12.

Now I eat low carb, am active but not an exerciser, weigh around 150, and my size 10's are BAGGY.

Few days ago, I was standing at the cashier of Safeway store, when a lady asked me how the lo-carb ice cream I was buying tastes. She said that she and her husband are also on Atkins diet. This surprised me because she looked very skinny. Her shoulder to shoulder measurment seemed to be not more than a foot! When I told her that she looks too skinny, she said she was overweight when she started. This reminded me with what I wrote here.

I think, the official "perfect weight" chart which is listed in many diet books including Atkins, is not exactly what we should use to know our right weight. Low carb dieting makes our bodies more dense so the chart needs to be adjusted alittle to fit the low carb lifestyle.

I believe the adjustment should be:

For men: Add 10-12 lbs to all numbers on the chart.
For ladies: Add 7-9 lbs to the numbers.

So, since Dr. Atkins' weight was 195 lbs, he was just at the upper limit of the acceptable weight range for a 6ft man.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:48
Registered Member

BF:

Here is a nice picture for Dr. Atkins:

#11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 211/189/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 43%

Samuel.......That's a great pic of Dr. Atkins! I can relate to your story. I lost 22 lbs in the first 21/2 months, and not one single pound since. I have been low carbing for almost 7 months now and am very discouraged. So much so that I have decided to go back to WW just to shake things up a bit. I have been doing everything right and even working out, but still not losing the low-carb way. My body does get acustomed to things rather quickly and I am thinking it just needs some shock therapy....so, it's back to WW I go. Good luck to you.
La Vonna
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVonna
Samuel.......That's a great pic of Dr. Atkins! I can relate to your story. I lost 22 lbs in the first 21/2 months, and not one single pound since. I have been low carbing for almost 7 months now and am very discouraged. So much so that I have decided to go back to WW just to shake things up a bit.
La Vonna

Thanks for your comment. I'm sure if you have followed the link supplied with my previous post, you know that I believe that "low calorie-high carb" dieting can make us gain weight on the long run. Here are the links again:

Click here
And here

However, I think if you diet any way until you reach the weight you want then immediately switch to the maintenance phase of Atkins low carb diet and stay on it for life you will be doing great.

Concerning myself, I eat alot at present time including foods that contain plenty of sugar alcohol. I think this is causing it. Sometime in the future, I'll try to get into induction again to lose more. I'm actually not too cocerned about it. My current size is between 32-34. Most department stores don't stock much of size 32 clothes and stock nothing under that size. So, being too skinny is not an advantage!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:52

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Maybe I'm dense, but I think I'm dense.

Good one!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:51
Registered Member

BF:

I agree with you. I am just frustrated a bit right now and want to get my body moving some of this fat. WW seems to be kicking it back into gear, for now. When I reach my goal, I believe low carb is the way to go. In fact, I believe that low carb is the way to go, period, but my body was not responding any longer. Who knows maybe after a couple of months on WW, I can switch back and I will lose again the low carb way.
La Vonna
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:55
Registered Member

BF:

BTW Samuel:
Thanks for the link to your previous post. That was very informative....I like the way you put it, very easy to understand.
Thanks again,
La Vonna