Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136.6/128.7/121.2 Female 163-164 cm
BF:unsure
Progress: 51%
Default Should I skip induction if I am exercising this much?

I'm half way through week 2 of induction and I've gotta say that my energy levels are no where near as high as they were before I started. I thought my energy spurt should have returned at this stage of induction?

I'm doing exercise daily, but I can't endure the same stamina as I had before I started induction.
I could easily do 45 mins cardio and weights at the gym daily before but now I am struggling to do 20 minutes cardio.

I've been thinking:

Is 20g carbs too little for me if I am wanting to keep exercising at the same intensity?

Or can anyone recommend any energy supplements to help?

I'm doing a 12 week body transformation challenge and I really want to keep up with the exercise but also cut the carbs to succeed in this challenge. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:48

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

With only 7 pounds to lose you certainly don't need induction.
By all means up them with healthy carbs like vegetables and berries, maybe some whole grains if you want.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
With only 7 pounds to lose you certainly don't need induction.
By all means up them with healthy carbs like vegetables and berries, maybe some whole grains if you want.

yes, definitely.

You aren't overweight and you are a heavy exerciser - you need to be eating more carbs than that. If I were in your position, I would start off with 40 and work my way up from there. Also you could probably benefit from higher sugar carbs (meaning, don't eat 10 cups of cucumbers lol).
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:08

mm whilst i am not overweight, the 7 pounds i want to lose needs to come off my lower body. I've got a ridiculous pear shape where by i am slim up top, yet have lots of fat down bottom. Thats why I thought induction may help with getting that fat shifted.

okies i will increase my vege allowance and include some berries.

A friend told me i should eat more carbs at night. this has always been a big no-no i thought. But because i do my gym in the morning, apparantly it's ok to eat my carbs at night because they will supply me with the energy i need in the morning.

Do you agree with this or should I just up my carbs to say 40g over the period of the day and see how i go...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 15:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You might check out Atkins for Life. He starts you out by cutting your daily carb intake to just 60g a day. There are also easy tables to see what to eat often, and in moderation.

Because you have so little to lose and you are at a healthy weight, it will take quite a while for the pounds to come off. Just have patience and keep working out

Part of it is also genetics. It could be a case where no matter how thin you get, you always carry the weight down below. Remember too that according to one post on here it can take up to 6 months after you reach goal for the fat to reposition itself. Until then you may have thin and fat areas. It could be a matter of just giving it time.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 18:10

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

.....go and add more carb...especially lots and lots of salads and yes...even 1/2 cup of pasta...or beans....Im a runner....and I can not go with almost few carb....doing that on my laziest days :-)...and before a race or a long run....Im eating carb very nicely, I may say so.......and..... Im still on my way down......Atkins ?....oh well........
you need to find your way here.... and what will feel good for you.......
.....can I have your numbers...? - (envy here).....:-)

Last edited by picaboo : Thu, Jan-22-04 at 18:12.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:56

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

You should spread your carbs through the day. I try to always have an apple or something sometime before I work out to up my carbs. I usually stay b/w 60-100 per day. I would rather have energy to workout hard than do super low carb and have no energy...I just couldn't push as hard on induction. I get the most results from good exercise! You might also check out the Body For Life forum on here...it may be similar to your 12 week transformation and help inspire you. Good luck!

--Cindy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 20:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

weightlift!! i didn't see your info so i don't know if you weightlift, and if you're doing bill phillips plan,as i am, i'm assuming you know to do squats, etc. etc., but just walking alone won't cut it...with so few pounds to lose, weightlift and if you're eating correctly and in about three to four weeks you'll have no worries about your body! good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 21:38

thanks everyone for your advice so far, it's helping me greatly.
I will check out the forums/programs you suggest.

flynnlee, yep i'm doing a variey of lower body weights at the gym 3-4 times a week. I guess I just have to be patient and ensure i keep at it and eat ok.

Cindy007 you are right though, i too would prefer my energy to work out so i will up those carbs.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 07:05

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I guess I would ask if you are taking supplements. For me at least, they make all the difference in my energy level.

Good luck!

L
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 08:37

whyspers, what supplements do you take?