Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 01:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%
Default Subway LC Wrap vs. Blimpie's BCC

Ok so today being the big day for Subway's new LC wrap, I decided to do my own taste test. So I ran out today and bought the new LC wrap at Subway for lunch and also stopped at Blimpie for a BCC sandwich for dinner.

Subway Turkey Bacon Melt:
The person taking my order seemed very excited about the new wraps. She had tried them herself and thought they were very good and that I would like them alot.

The person making the wrap did an excellent job. I had them make it exactly as "per spec" so as not to unduly influence the end result.

I was rather disappointed in that Subway did not offer any complimentary products to go with the wrap. No legal chips or drinks (except water). I do not drink any of the sodas if they have sugar/nutrasweet/caffeine so I left with just the wrap and nothing else.

The wrap was rather small but I did find it to be well made. The tortilla was large, a bit too large really for the ingredients. It was very similar to the larger LaTortilla wraps. The taste was very good. I found the bacon to be very fresh. Sometimes the bacon at these places tastes like it was made the day before. The turkey was nice and flavorful. The fillings were a bit sparse. They had a lot of tortilla to use and could have filled it quite a bit more IMO.

The cost was I believe $4.49 and in the end was well worth it.

Blimpie Buffalo Chicken (BCC Menu):
Ok this was no contest really. The Blimpie sandwich was much larger and VERY tasty. Blimpie offers complimentary products such as : Chips, Brownies, and Sobe Lean on fountain.

I also had the preparer prepare the food "per spec". Really I had no complaints with it as it was. Compared to a burger, it is smaller, but much larger than the Subway wraps. The chicken was moist, the sauce was tasty. I did not get the sandwich grilled since I was taking it to go. I would like to try it grilled next time as I think that would make the sandwich better yet.

The Verdict:
Sadly, at least in my area Blimpie stores are few and far between. Subway proudly proclaims they are more prolific now than McDonalds. So from a convenience point of view, Subway is the hands down winner. If you want something more than just a wrap to complete your meal then Blimpie's menu is much more accomodating. If taste is where it's at, then in my opinion, Blimpie is easily the victor.

Me, I intend to support both. But given a choice I will be going to Blimpie.

Fortunately, the real winner is all of us! We are getting more, better choices each and every day. We just have to make sure we weed out the hype (KFC's ridiculous campaign) and support those with real "meat" to their support of LC.

OG
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 11:20

Stats: 197/187/135 Female 5'4"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 16%

Oh, I wish the Blimpie's in my area had the LC menu!! I do agree, I wish Subway had "side" items to go with the wraps. I was very tempted by the Baked Lays (I LOVED these things before LCing, I think I was addicted to em) but had to pass. I would enjoy a brownie or cookie or SOMETHING to complete the meal. I like to have a very small something sweet with lunch and dinner so I don't have an all out sweet craving binge. I am a sweets person, through and through. I thought the wraps were very good, but there was too much tortilla. I used to order the turkey bacon sub and dump everything out of the bread and roll the veggies up in the meat. It is cheaper than the salad of the same thing. Why do those cost more than the subs? Sorry to ramble!
Leigh
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 15:47
Registered Member

Stats: 245/199/170 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 61%

Nice review.

Parochial question: where the frick is a Blimpie in Bellevue, Washington?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 17:44

The Blimpie in Bellevue is on NE 24th by Sears in the Overlake area.

There is a Bon Home Store in the same strip center and it is across the street from Office Depot and Tuesday Morning.

Assuming you are going north on 148th turn right onto NE24th. Go past the Sears and Arby's and take a left at the light at the bottom of the hill. Take a right into the strip mall and follow up and around to the right.

Good Luck!!

OG

edit: Technically this is Redmond (barely!)

Last edited by Operaghost : Wed, Dec-31-03 at 01:14.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 20:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%

for those of us who dont know, the blimpies bcc, is that in a low carb wrap? and the sides they offer that you mention, the chips and brownies,, are those low carb chips and brownies?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 20:58

BCC = Blimpie Carb Counter

Their menu include sandwiches, salads, LC chips and LC brownies. Plus Sobe Lean drinks which are sweetened with sucralose.

Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.blimpie.com

Here is a link directly to their BCC Menu:

http://www.blimpie.com/framesets/sfs_bcc_spotlight.htm

Check em out!!

OG

Last edited by Operaghost : Wed, Dec-31-03 at 01:12.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 22:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%

Does anyone know if they have rolled them out to NJ stores yet?