Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 18:06
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Question vacation and maintenance

so I am going on vacation in a few days and am starting to worry .. i want to stay as close to this woe as possible but I will be staying with my best friend and living off her generosity basicly for two weeks.. she is alot like i was.. meaning she eats alot of pasta dishes. I am pretty shy about digging around in other people's kitchens and feel like its rude to make my own supper if she cooks... anyone have any sugestions of what I could do?
of course maybe i'll convert her when she sees me
Another problem will be i have a dinner date with my aunt and another with my father.. I hate eating out its such a bother! lol

Crysania
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 19:18

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Crysania, I would suggest you go to the store the first day there and buy some groceries for your stay with your friend. You could then offer to make dinner a few times and make some great lc foods. I would also be honest about how important this is to you. Good luck, and have a great time!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 19:27

Plan: low fat,lowcarb..high pro
Stats: 302/175/155 Female 64 inches
BF:52/not good/22
Progress: 86%

My suggestion is you live a little...enjoy some pasta...your on vacation...I just recently came back from a vacation in italy and i ate and drank what ever i wanted...hey i gained five pounds back but i had the best time and after over a year with out pasta...i got my fill....its been three weeks since italy and those five pounds are gone....and yes i still want to lose another ten pounds so i am not at goal but I will say this.....I will never allow myself to be big again...so i knew when the vacation was over so was the eating and although i had a slight carb addiction to deal with that first week...my desire to remain a size eight was much stronger....so do what you think is necessary but dont get all worked up about it..hey its a vacation,,,enjoy yourself!

laurie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 21:13

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

hi,
i am on cad. 2 weeks ago i was on vacation. i had my fill. on cad i am allowed one carby meal per day within 60 minutes. I had one carby meal daily ( dessert every day). i gained no weight. i was always afraid of having whatever i wanted all the time eventhough it's once a day.normally i'd try to eat healthy carbs most days i did for 14days, ate anything i wanted(highcarb). IT WORKED!!!
I'D NOT advise you to eat what ever you want because you are on 'VACATION". I'D advise you to read cad, it'll help in situations where you want carbs or going out to eat. i lose inches while on vacation. considering what i ate every day that is amazing!!!weight loss is slow on cad, but no weight gain is also priceless.when you do have carbs, aim for once daily.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 04:28
Medival Princess

BF:

well going to the store is my first priority when i get there anyways I want to have some water that tastes ok lol the city water is nasty there will just have to grab a few low carb snack items and eat her cooking for the meals (i would not subject her to my awful cooking!! i can not even scramble an egg right lol)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 08:04
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

You don't have to cook to provide some good, lowcarb meals for your friends and as someone who lives in an area where I get a lot of house guests, I can tell you that most hosts appreciate being fed some of the time.

Almost every large grocery store sells a ready made rotisserie chicken. If you combine that with a salad (easiest way to go is pre-packed, pre-washed lettuce plus some cut up other vegetables or the supermarket salad bar), you have a good dinner. You can always throw a baking potato in the oven if your friend wants one or boil up some rice (hard to mess up). Another good lowcarb meal choice that doesn't require cooking is a chef's salad (you can get the meat and cheese from the supermarket deli counter and just hard boil some eggs or leave the eggs out). You don't have to be captive to your friend's cooking if you don't want to be.

I hate to contradict Laurie, who has been successful at low carbing beyond my wildest dreams, but I don't think that all of us can do what she does -- go totally off eating plan while on vacation and assume that we will be able to get right back on when we return and rapidly lose any weight we gained. I've seen too many people follow that strategy and fail at it -- posting months later that they are still eating lots of high carb foods because their vacation brought on lots of cravings. I sometimes loosen up my eating while I am on vacation -- for example, I may order eggplant parmesan in an Italian restaurant knowing it includes some bread crumbs and probably some sugar in the tomato sauce, but I won't order pasta. Similarly, while on vacation, I may eat some of the beans with my fajitas in a Mexican restaurant, but I won't eat the rice or totillas. I never go totally off plan. I really have no desire to go totally off plan -- I like this way of eating and I like the way it makes me feel. Eating too many carbs makes me feel awful and that is not the way I want to feel while I am on vacation. I guess everyone has to know themselves.

Last edited by liz175 : Sun, Oct-19-03 at 08:06.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 10:20

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Crysania,
If you are close enough to your friend to stay with her for 2 weeks on vacation, you must be close enough to explain your wol and eatting plan. When I visit friends and family, I explain the way I eat and tell them they don't have to change for me, but that I may not eat everything they do. I even take a giant cooler to my Mom's house to keep her from the game of you are so fat, eat this pie I made you - it's your favorite. I also treat any foods that aren't low carb as if I am alergic to them. If you had a friend that would have to be rushed to the hospital if they ate seafood, would you serve them seafood? No, and most people can understand that. Good luck and pack lots of LC bars & treats! Hope you have a wonderful vacation and maintain where you are.
Marie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 16:22
Medival Princess

BF:

it was funny I grabed a few low carb things and a small bag of both red and black M&M's (with sugar in them) the cashier was like.. there is somthing wrong with this lol
side note the M&M's are for a crafty project that I came up with (i didn't have time to do stained glass candy which is one thing i CAN make lol.. wonder if it can be made with splenda.. hmm better leave that recipe altering up to someone else) i found a glass jar and attached a ribbon and beads around the rim and am going to layer read and black M&M's in it since red and black was her weading colors i though that would be pretty cute
trying to get her to eat a salad is like trying to get well...hmm.. trying to get someone to eat peanuts if they are allergic to them I swear you'd think she was sure it'd kill her :P I can live off the stuff i was a rabbit in my previous life i think
So far she doesn't know about my weight loss.. I mentioned I was gonna try eating low carb, but have not told her anything since... should be intresting
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 19:34

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Have a great time!