Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 21:00
Splenda Flavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/247/190 Male 5' 11 1/2
BF:more than I need
Progress: 33%
Default Has anyone tried the Metabolife pills?

If I can remember right it was called STARCH FREE or something like that. The label stated that it was the perfect compliment for low carb diets and it would enable you to eat bread etc...etc without any worrys to your diet. It was like 29.99 for the pills as well

It just sounded to good to be true, and I'm actually not craving any breads or rice anyway so I didn't bite, that and it was so darn expensive
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 23:48

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I read a couple of days ago several people who said they didn't work for them, and a few who simply said they wouldn't waste the money.

Personally, I can't see much point in eating something just for the sake of eating it. Granted, I've generally been one of those live to eat people, but I'm trying to turn that around. Yes, I enjoy food, but I also am enjoying very much putting the good stuff into my body now, instead of the not good stuff. I would think there wouldn't be a whole lot of enjoyment out of taking a starch blocker then indulging on something like that just for the sake of indulging. Of course I could be all wet in the head, too!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 05:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%

Nooooooo! I used those "starch blockers" years ago and they were horrible. I had horrific gas and they did not work either. I have read other posts here that say they cause anal-leakage. Better to learn to eat the Atkins way for life than to try to sneak in the carbs and pay for it for the rest of the day. If you follow this plan the correct way, you can eat more food than on any other eating plan. Give it a really good try for one month and I bet you will love it. Make sure you buy and read the Doctor Atkins New Diet Revolution book - it is a bible for this way of life.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 05:32
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 162/150/140 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 55%

Metabolife and i used to be friends...and it was good...until my body got used to the dosage. if you ever take these, you have to up the dosage every once in a while to keep yourself from getting hungry etc. (i went from half a pill a day to 2 pills a day), and if you ever get off of them, well! Have fun with that! Because youll have ZERO energy. Its awful. Dont try them. Period.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 06:54

Stats: 184/184/129 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

AshGrrr,

I agree with you. I had never tried them myself, but I have heard horror stories from people who have.

I don't know that the carb-blockers are as addictive as the regular pills, but i would try anything made my Metabolife.

PHATBOY, Stick to the diet. If we rely on pills to help us loose weight we will never learn to eat the right way. It is a bout re-training ourselves, not about how much cheating we can get away with.

Good Luck to you,

Mary
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 06:55

Stats: 184/184/129 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Phatboy,
I forgot to mention, I am originally from beatiful, sunny, San Diego. I love the place!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 07:16
Splenda Flavored

Stats: 275/247/190 Male 5' 11 1/2
BF:more than I need
Progress: 33%

Thanks for the replys, and yea like I said I'm not even craving breads and cereals anymore. I was just wondering if anyone has tried them before and what the outcome was...as far as the leakage TMI TMI ewwwwwwww =)

Thanks again for the input

Maryp, whats funny is that my wife and I were talking about other places we would go to live in the US....we both came up with Florida. =)
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 07:36

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

A friend has recently tried "starch blockers" and found that they had no good effect on her weight because she gained a couple of pounds. Plus she developed huge carb cravings.

I have to agree about the Metabolife brand and trusting them. They were selling pills with ephedra in them until the government in several countries made that ingredient illegal. Too many cases of racing heart, heart attack and other problems. And all the while, Metabolife was claiming the pills were perfectly safe. So I look at any of their claims with more than a little suspicion. JMHO
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:04

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

If you are looking for energy, try the Atkins Accel..
see my thread about them.
I LOVE them.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:37
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Although some people swear by these, I would swear AT them... All I got for my money was bad gas and the feeling that it was okay to eat things I shouldn't because my "magic pill" would make it okay...probably one of the MANY reasons I was stalled so long...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:54

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

I used them when they had ephedra in them and lost 35 pounds from 200 to 165 relatively quickly but it was a "false" loss in my opinion because it only sped up my metabolism while I was taking them and I ate horribly. This time around I use only food an exercise and have lost at about the same rate. 30 pounds in 20 weeks. I think that it should be a no-no for anyone who wants to keep the weight off. I quit them and slowly put a pound a month back on for 3 years! Not good for the heart with the epehedra either! Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley1
I used them when they had ephedra in them and lost 35 pounds from 200 to 165 relatively quickly but it was a "false" loss in my opinion because it only sped up my metabolism while I was taking them and I ate horribly. This time around I use only food an exercise and have lost at about the same rate. 30 pounds in 20 weeks. I think that it should be a no-no for anyone who wants to keep the weight off. I quit them and slowly put a pound a month back on for 3 years! Not good for the heart with the epehedra either! Good luck!

These never had ephedra.. they're made by the same company, but aren't a "fat burner" they're supposed to diable the enzyme that breaks down starch... and from what I've read, they only DELAY the digestion, which may explain the gas!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:38

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

Potatofree - I misunderstood I did take the ephedra ones not the starch blockers...
Thanks for the clarification.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 10:07

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH!

Really.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 10:28
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

ok I tried carb blockers and didn't experience the gas but did have constipation for the first time since starting low carb. And athough I did not gain I also did not lose and I trialled 2 bottles worth and declare that for me they are a waste of money