Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 17:23

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default salad dressing

How bad is a higher quality prepared salad dressing (ie:Marie's) for the SP diet? I just don't seem to ever get the homemade stuff right.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 18:10
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cryer:

I opt for the HFS bought salad dressing. The main thing to look for is that it uses expeller/cold pressed oil (and of course no sugar). According to Dr. S., that's OK. I'm taking a wild stab, but I would guess that Marie's is not appropriate. The type of dressing you want (that doesn't use damaged fats) will mostly be sold in a HFS (or the organic section of your grocery store).

HTH,
Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:06

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Cryer,
I agree with Wanda, thee best dressings can be purchased at health food stores. I have discovered a brand called Annie's Naturals. SHe has a roasted red pepper vinaigrette that's really good. I also dilute rasberry vinaigerette with olive oil, it dilutes the small amount of sugar they put in it.
Maureen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 08:31
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Maureen:

I use her brand too. I've been eyeing that Roasted Red Pepper dressing, but I thought it had sugar in it for some reason. I'll have to check that one out. I LOVE roasted peppers. I've been using the Goddess dressing and I really like it too. It has tahini in it. I also like the Tuscany Italian. For people doing Candida diets, they have an Organic Green Garlic dressing that's vinegar-free.

I just checked out their site: http://www.anniesnaturals.com/Merch...es/products.htm. The RRP has honey in it, but it must be negligable b/c it's only 1 gram higher in carbs than the one I use. I'm going to try some since I can handle my natural sweetener now.

Did you know they sell some of their dressings in 1.5 oz packets? I haven't seen them, but that would be cool to keep handy in a purse. I might have to ask my HFS to look into it for me.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Oct-14-03 at 08:36.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 11:17
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Homemade is easy if you have a shaker with a lid and only make what you need fresh. My favorite is 3 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs lemon juice, pinch of sea salt, pinch of thyme and a pinch of terrigon. Good stuff!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 14:07

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have a great Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing clone recipe that I use daily, it's my favorite. I got it off the Internet. The big difference is that I don't add sugar. I posted the recipe in the Recipes forum a while back. It's a little bit of trouble to make, but well worth it when you grew up on that salad dressing and really liked it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%
Default Welcome beiner!

I also use salad dressing from the health food store, I always look to make sure it is from expeller pressed oil. I have made my own salad dressings with success too. I made my own mayonnaise and it was so incredibly creamy and delicious I decided to make a salad dressing out of it. My family loved it.

Piano