Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 12:52

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 296/293/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Angry Arent Big People Suppose To Lose Faster?!

I THOUGHT THAT THE MORE WEIGHT YOU HAD TO LOSE, THE QUICKER YOU
LOST IT! I HAVE ONLY LOST 6.5 LBS IN 3 WKS! I HAVE A TON TO LOSE.
(275.5 NOW) HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN IN MY SITUATION AND LOST LATER?
THIS IS KIND OF DISCOURAGING. EVEN GAINED 1.5 LBS ONE DAY IN WEEK 3

I NEED INSPIRATION PLEEAASE!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 12:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

aalley,
I started this WOE in March, and lost 5 pounds the first month and then wooshed 15 pounds off the second month. I have been averaging 5-10 pounds a month ever since. Just keep at it, I started at 357 pounds, and now am VERY close to be in the 2's for the first time in 5 years.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 13:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Patience, aalley!

Sounds to me like you're thinking of this as a diet, like the others you've probably tried in the past. It's not like that. Slow and steady is a really good thing. I think I lost only about 7 or 8 pounds when I started but it kept coming off gradually. Check my stats, you'll see it works.

Just think about how much more you would weigh now if you hadn't started LCing!

And we all have those fluctuations of gaining a little here and there. It's water retention from too much salt perhaps.

I know that numbers on a scale mean a lot to many people. But don't forget to consider also how you feel and if your clothes are more comfortable. The entire story is not always on the scale.

Good luck!

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 13:37

BF:

Thanks Guys You Have Made Me Feel Better.
And You're Right Rolfe I Am Really Trying To Make This A Wol!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 14:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 370/180/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 86%

what donald has said is soooo true,i have to tell myself all the time that this is my healthy lifestyle now,not another diet,i never want white in my food intake again,i am not perfect i have gotten off a couple of times in the last 2 1/2 months,and everytime i do i feel like crap the next day,not guilty,but just sloshy...hang in there alley,you are doing wonderful!! Tammy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 14:55

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

6.5 lbs. in 3 weeks is great! My suggestion would be to not weigh daily. There are always going to be fluctuations in your weight and it can be discouraging to see them, even if you know logically that they don't mean much.

Hang in there. Rome wasn't built in a day!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:08

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

One other thing, aalley...

I notice that you've indicated you're in Atkins OWL. Like many of us, you may find that staying much closer to Induction levels of carbs for a while longer may work better for you in terms of how much and how fast you lose. It's true for me. If I go up much over 30 carbs, I stop losing.

Just a thought...

Donald
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:14

BF:

Well I Say Ongoing, But Really The Only Difference I've Really Made Is Adding
Pumpkin Seeds Or Nuts. But I Still Stay Under 20grams.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:28
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey aalley! I made a plot of my weight that I measured each morning for a whole month. It shows lots of ups and downs, but the overall downward trend is very obvious. Take a look by clicking on my "www" link...

Don't get discouraged by the fluctuations. The important thing is to keep at it, and then try to find out what works best for you. Try several small meals. Try exercising. Try smaller portions. Try not eating late in the evening. Try different types of food. You'll find what works for you...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 16:03

Plan: moderate low carb
Stats: 263/183/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

I did not lose any weight after 4 weeks on induction. Back in my much younger days I tried Atkins and the weight flew off but I didn't stay with the WOE. I've developed a plan that works for me--lower carbs --almost all unrefined with a maximum of 70 including fiber, fat about 60% of my diet (this keeps me from getting hungry), and calories limited to 1650-- I started out a little higher. I use fitday.com to follow my food and everything. I've now lost 60 pounds. I'm up to 30 minutes of exercise, five times per week. I've been at this for over 10 months. I do take a few breaks but try to keep cheats to a dull roar.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 16:30

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Lots of people hate to hear this but honestly exercise goes hand in hand with Atkins. A very few are lucky to loose without it but I found that after the first month on Atkins and little to no exercise I only lost 7lbs:-(
Now 6 months later I am walking a mile a day (30 min) of all hills 6 days a week and I find I don't feel "right" on the days I skip for one reason or another.
I don't know what your exercise plan is but start slow if your not and find what you enjoy. I happen to really like walking because I am in the country.
Also WATER WATER WATER!
I eat about 35 carbs a day and loose but know if I stopped the exercise I would not be dropping weight like I have. Also I was fortunate to loose alot quickly without too much effort but now its slooooow going so don't worry about it. It will come when it comes and don't give up because if you do stick to it, exercise and drink the water it really does work and makes you feel a world better!

Nibby
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 16:47

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

aalley,

I can totally empathsize with you! In the beginning for me, the weight was just flying right off - now things are slow and steady. It's frustrating, but as Donald said, don't treat this as a diet - it's a way of life. Hopefully your feeling great and have a lot of energy, and are enjoying those new perks! (I know I sure am!)

The weight will come off - it just takes time. I know in the back of my mind I have days where I think, "okay, I've been on this WOE and cheat free for 50 odd days, shouldn't I be thin by now?!" But it doesn't work that way - I know I didn't get this way overnight, so it's going to take time to reverse the weight I gained over several years.

I also agree with what others have written - find what works for you. I have discovered that if I skip meals I don't loose....if I stay faithful to 3 meals a day, I loose. Also, the water intake is very important as well. I joined Curves for women (the first time EVER that I was serious about excersizing) and I absolutely LOVE it! I love the way I feel after a work out and I know it's helping the weight loss.

Keep your chin up and keep up the wonderful work! The weight will come off - it just takes time!

~Jaya
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 18:20
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi aalley, you're doing fine. I daydream of the day I can weight what you do. Just keep going. What Donald says is right. It's a long term WOE and you will serve yourself best if you look at this as a long term WOL. You are who you are and as long as the weight is gradually coming off keep looking forward and keep your chin up!

Last edited by mudknife : Thu, Oct-09-03 at 18:22.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 18:51
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I started out with almost 200 pounds to lose and it has been a gradual, fairly steady process. I've lost anywhere from 0 to 10 pounds in any given month, but after 15 months it has added up to 95 pounds.

I figure it took me over 17 years to gain all that weight (from the time I got pregnant with my first child until I started low carbing), so I can't expect to lose it all in one year.

I do agree with Nibby -- exercise is key. I think that what low carbing does for me is control my appetite so I eat about the amount I need to maintain my weight. By exercising, I am able to actually lose weight.