Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 11:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/187/130 Female 64 inches
BF:36.7
Progress: 12%
Post inches, not pounds?

Hi y'all!

I've been on Atkins for a little over 5 weeks now, and lost 5 lbs the 1st two days. Since then, nothing, and have been following the plan very well. Not a single cheat! Been taking supplements, drinking all my water, logging my food on FitDay, completely avoiding sugar alcohols, etc. Tweaking myself to death!

The good news is (unless my tape measure is possessed by a sadistic demon) that I've lost about 7 inches since I lost that initial 5 lbs. And I feel GREAT! Yet I weighed myself this am and discovered I am still stuck at that 190 lb mark. It absolutely won't budge. So here's my question - has anyone experienced something like this? No loss for the 1st five weeks (I consider that 5lbs water weight) but major inches lost? I have been exercising well the past few days - joined Curves - so maybe that will start bringing the numbers down.

To be honest, I'm not so concerned about the number so long as the inches are going down. But do you think it will ever start dropping?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
Here's to wishin' for a whoosh....

NovaMusic 9
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 13:09
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

Hey hun,

I am in the same boat as you... i lost 5 lbs the first week... and have been on this WOL for about 1 month and a half... I fit into tons of my old clothes... Not really measuring myself... but no more lbs. have been dropped??

I don't really mind cuz i am looking and feeling alot more toned.. and that is really what matters...

I think eventually the weight must go down too? Just that muscle weighs more than fat... and i am gaining muscle eating all this scrumptous meat

Hope this makes you not feel so alone
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 13:28

Stats: 195/187/130 Female 64 inches
BF:36.7
Progress: 12%

Rachelle-thank you so much for posting. It definitely makes me feel SO much better to know someone else is having this experience. By this point, don't you feel like you must be THE most muscular person in the world, with all the muscle weight you've gained?

I've gotten better at not comparing myself to others, but sometimes I wish I could have the results other people are seeing on the scale. I'd love to wake up in the morning and be able to see on that machine that I'd dropped a pound or two. But I'm thinking that maybe this is the way it needs to happen for me, so that I don't gain it back again. (Been yo-yo-ing for years, gaining and losing lots of weight) Maybe if it came off too easily, I'd have in the back of my mind "Well, I can cheat just this once, because I'll be able to lose again quickly." Trying to maintain a positive attitude, at least.

Time to keep on keeping on, right? And as Karen says, "Progress, not perfection"....

NovaMusic9
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 14:47
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I am actually looking at it very positively.. is that spelled wrong?? hehe
I would rather look thin... than weigh less anyway..

this is the first time i have ever tried to diet... so it can't be that i have yo-yo'd and them my body was like forget it... i will never go down again... but rather... lets make this a WOL then i will reward you... does that make sense?

let's work on this together... never get frustrated... results are results
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 15:23

Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Post the same can be said here

I can say the same here loosing inches and nothing shows on the scale. I also saw a number to threads saying the same thing. I do not know if it is a metobolic resistance issue, but it is very hard not to compare results with others. Truely also, the amount of weight you have to loose can determine the speed of our results.

I tell myself slow and steady wins the race. (grumble...grumble)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 15:35

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

When I started Induction six weeks ago...my scale didn't budge until the 4th week, when I dropped three pounds....haven't dropped any more yet.

However, I noticed inch loss in the first couple weeks, and have gained more energy and stamina. (particularly noticeable at work...my boss has commented already! ) At church, no more than a week after I started this WOE, someone told me that I was looking better..a little slimmer...and I'm not used to hearing such comments so early on. It was a real puzzle to me...

Unfortunately, my husband doesn't accept any other results than what the scale tells him...My slim, slender husband.....he doesn't understand...I get a lecture every week my weight doesn't go down....he says he loves and accepts me for who I am, weight and all, but he's anxious for me to get healthier...and this is his only indication of it actually happening.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 19:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It tends to be inches or pounds, but not the two together. I'll take the inches over the pounds anyday Afterall, that's what everyone sees, right?

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 08:04
Registered Member

Stats: 122/117/105 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress:

I lost 6lbs the fist week and then nothing. This is my 4th week. But yes the inches have shifted. Lost an inch on chest and hips and 2 inches on waist. As long as that continues then I don't really mind what the scales say.