Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%
Unhappy I'm ADDICTED!!!!!!!!!

I weight myself every day, mainly so I can quickly identify "problem" foods... but I'm thinking of going down to once a week.

I've lost both weeks so far (not as much the second week, but I overdid it on Sat nite, all low carb foods, but just too much I think for my system, I felt sick on Sunday and I had gained a lb then lost it again this morning)... I just wish I could get away from the daily weighing. I'm addicted to my scale!

What if I go down to once a week and the scale goes UP? I can't explain how terrified I am of hitting 200 again... (yes, I know there are others out there with far worse weight issues than 200... but for me that's the "magic" number). I'm down to 194 today, and I want to go DOWN.. not UP...

Which is better, everyday or once a week, or once a month?

HELP! I am no longer addicted to sugar, but it's been replaced by my bathroom scale! I guess I have an addictive personality... sigh.

Blessings!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:18

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Oh sweetie, takes a while to detox from that scale, doesn't it? I know, been there! Took me about a month to finally stop the weigh-ins.

I weigh in once a week, either on Fridays or Mondays. The only scale in my vacinity is one similar to the doctor's office, here at work.

And don't weigh on Friday, then on Monday again, to see if you did bad on the weekend. Choose one or the other.

Put the scale away. Top shelf of the closet would do nicely.

Hugs,
Shirley
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:21

Stats: 164/163.1/135 Female 5'2"
BF:don't know
Progress: 3%

I hear ya on that scale addiction. I promised myself I would not get on my scale for a month. Ha, I'm always checking. I even use two different scales as sometimes one weighs me heavier and one lighter. lol If I feel I can't take bad news, I get on the one that weighs me lighter. I think the only way to avoid it for me would be to get them out of the house.lol I lost from 150 to 143 today I'm 139 (heavier scale) and I feel like I will die if I get on it tomorrow and it reads 140. That one pound can send my head spinning!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:22

Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

That's the problem.. the scales been going 194/195/194/195 for a few days now.. if it goes back up to 195 again I'm going to SOB!!!

I don't want to lose a ton all at once, but sheesh, steady LOSS would be nice! I think I'm going to put it up in the closet...and then I'm going to tell DH (who is doing this with me) that we're going to take it down Monday mornings for 10 minutes to weigh in, record, then away it goes.

The bad scale.. how can such a stupid piece of metal/plastic have such an impact on how I feel about ME? It's like my household bully!

Blessings!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:27

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I think once a week is best. Everyone has their own preference. But, once a day can cause you to fail if you don't loose everyday
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

shaerat - If you can't handle measuring every day, then hide the scale and do it once a week. Having it out wher eyou can see it is a reminder and you hop on.

Things to remember: Make sure you weight at the exact same time each time. Sleeping in an hour or so can mean 1-2 less pounds from water.

It is unlikely you gain or lose more then a pound that is fat in just one day. Daily flucuations like that are mostly due to water weight. On days where you have higher sodium or carbs, where you drink less water, ect can mean water retention. Heat and hormones can also effect water weight.

If your scale only uses whole numbers, then it rounds. Instead of bouncing between 194 and 195 you ar eprobably bouncing between 194.4 and 194.5 You can get scales that measure fractions of pounds, but that would just lead to more obsessing.

The best thing to do is put away the scale and weight once a week. If you choose to continue to weigh in once a day (I do this) then make sure it is at the same time each day, before you have had anything to eat. Also expect fluctuations, sometimes as much as 3 pounds just from water weight.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 09:15
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

You are really going to have to understand that there are natural minute by minute fluctuations of the scale if you are going to continue this obsession.

I step on it every morning only, after I go to the bathroom and before I eat or drink ANYTHING.

Everything you eat and drink has weight.
There are normal fluctionations such as water weight, too much sodium, TOM ....

Just an example -
I'm usually up 4-5 lbs each evening.
I weigh the least when I get to sleep late on the weekend, for some reason 10am is my best weight (if I haven't eaten or drank anything).
TOM is usually a 4-6lb bounce.
Too many carbs (or high glycemic carbs like white rice) brings me up about 3lbs for a few days.
Drinking alcohol drops me a lb the next day but up two days later.

THESE ARE NORMAL! If you can't handle the science of the scales bouncing up and down then just measure yourself (monthly - same time of month too) and watch your inches leave you.

There are other ways to chart your success.

Take care.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Mon, Sep-08-03 at 09:18.