Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:27

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%
Default Is this normal...or weird?

OK... I admit I haven't been eating as much as I should for a few reasons....lack of food, tired , and timing.

I believe you are not supposed to eat three hours before you go to bed and I work nights and I don't sleep 6-8 straight hours its more so naps and it isn't consistent...for example I was starving when I got home from work today at 8AM but I didnt' eat b/c of the rule, but I ended up not going to bed until 11AM.

but the main reason is that sometimes I just don't feel like eating, not b/c I think I am doing better by skipping meals there really isn't a reasoning behind it other than I literally don't feel like......??? As I'm typing this I can tell that I need to eat but I don't want to.......anyone have this problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:35

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

senimoni
I had the same problem my first 2 weeks. I had to set a schedule and eat something ... anything ... no matter what. It was really difficult because I had no appetite and sometimes just the thought of eating made me nauseous. I did get my appetite back though. Make sure that you feed yourself enough. Go to fitday and start a food journal there. It will help you keep track of what your eating and helped me make sure that I was eating enough and getting the proper nutrition.
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html

Hang in there. Your appetite will come back. Now is a good time to really set some good eating habits since you aren't having to deal with deprivation/starvation. Take the opportunity to be good to yourself. And Welcome Aboard!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I used to follow the rule about not eating before bed, but I was hungry darn it. I decided if I was hungry, then eat. It not only didn't slow my weight loss, getting in the snack seemed to speed it up. I was also not hungry and would eat 3 meals a day. Since I moved to 5-6 meals a day I now get a little hungry every few hours. It has also helped me move my calories most days from 1000 to 1400 and that has really helped my weight loss. I found eating too little completely stalled my weight loss.

Try to eat, even if it's just a small snack. Buy Soy slender and have an 8 oz glass. Eat 1/2 an avacado, a handful of nuts. Eating frequently and not skipping meals raises your emtabolism and feeding it enough calories keeps it running in high gear.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/167/170 Male 68.5"
BF:30%/15%/11%
Progress: 103%

Hang in there. The key is understanding that even this great way of life has its "you just got to do it" moments. And eating is obviously one of those moments.
I have been lowcarbing for months now and still find it difficult to eat all the calories (esp. fat) that I know my body needs. I do enjoy my food once I start eating, but hunger, REAL hunger, is a rare thing for me now.
For better or worse, I try to think of food as a routine. I try to mix and vary my meals, but keep it routine enough as to not skip meals.
If you want to lose weight and feel better, and of course you do, you just have to make yourself eat at least the minimum amount of food your body needs.
Our bodies can and will do great things for us, but it takes fuel (food) to make it all happen. If it's any consolation, your not alone!!!
HANG IN THERE!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 01:05
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I always have a bedtime snack.
Snack-not meal.
I work evenings and often don't go to bed till one or two in the morning. I destress for a while and get hungry. I read and have a handful of nuts, cheese sticks or cocktail pepperoni sticks, etc. If I don't eat, I don't sleep well-lying there with my stomach growling triggers carb cravings.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 05:49

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Dr. A said if you are hungry then eat and if you are starving you should have eaten thirty minutes ago. I didn't see him mention anything about not eating three hours before going to bed....

L
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:15

Stats: 213/163.5/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 60%

Rule? What rule? The only "rule" about it is if it makes you stall, don't do it! I always have a snack before bed, and no stalls. In fact, I find it helps me to sleep all night! BTW, you're not supposed to go more than 6 waking hours without eating. EVEN if you're not hungry. Grab a snack, a piece of bacon, celery, whatever. It'll help your metabolism. If you can't handle 3 regular meals, go for 5 or 6 small ones. That's the way I had to do it during the first 2-3 weeks, as the thought of eating made me sick, too.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 08:22

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I alway eat a little something when I am hungry (which is less often now). I have a cheese cube or peice of lunch meat or chicken when ever I have a feel a little hungry. And always a large glass of water!!! I started that this week and I have lost 5 lbs.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 08:24

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

If I'm hungry, I eat, doesn't matter what time of day. It's bad when you're trying to fall asleep on an empty stomach. So eat! it doesn't have to be much. Even a slice of deli ham wrapped with a slice of cheese will do wonders to stop the hunger pangs.