Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 22:47

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default LC cures for hypoglycemia

I have reactive hypoglycemia as a symptom associated with PCOS. I'm on Glucophage and still had many periods of very low blood sugar up until switching to a LC diet. Now, I've only had a few episodes where I felt symptoms of hypoglycemia take effect. I test my blood sugar daily and the results generally stay within a 15 point range. It is hard for me to believe that for even with Glucophage, my blood sugar would swing from 75-120. Now it stays between 75-90.

But the other day I found myself in a situation where my blood sugar felt low, probably in the low 70s. I didn't know the best way to quickly correct it without violating my strict carb intake. Ex, I used to drink juice or something sweet, or suck on candy. I can't even try to do that or I will exceed my carb intake for the day. For years, I've eaten quick absorbing carbohydrates followed by some protein to fix hypoglycemia (the doctor recommended solution). Now, I'm not sure the correct path to take. I don't want to eat carbs because I will start a cycle, but I also don't like eating protein and waiting for it to raise my blood sugar.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Shazzer : Fri, Aug-15-03 at 22:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 12:15

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

1) Make sure you take your Glucophage with meals and even spaced throughout the day (unless you're on XR).

2) Eat every 2-3 hrs but no longer. Have something high protein right before bed (a tablespoon of peanut butter, for example) and do the same the moment you wake up.

3) If you do need to eat carbs, eat only complex carbs since they are releases slowly and your insulin won't drop your sugar too low. And like you said, make sure you eat plenty of protein with your carbs.

But since you're blood sugar gets it's highest like 2 hrs after you eat, if you eat every 2 hrs you won't be letting it dip down too low. I'm the same way and just having a small something every 2 hrs is the only thing that works for me.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:25

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you so much for the help. Per the Glucophage, I am on XR.

I generally try to follow the plan of eating every few hours. And my morning blood sugar is always great when I have something high fat and high protein right before bed. My biggest problem seems to be afternoon blood sugar falls, even if I've had a good lunch and a high protein "second lunch" as I call it, I still get periods of low blood sugar.

It is just very frustrating to eat well and still be plagued by low blood sugar.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:37

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

You're welcome.

I've noticed that mid-afternoons are the worst for me too! I can generally tolerate a few carbs during breakfast and dinner but lunch? NO WAY! Even if I have a couple of carbs I will be falling asleep at my desk from too much insulin and right afterwards have low blood sugar. I know this may seem backwards, but I feel the best when I don't have ANY carbs for lunch.