Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 22:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%
Default Why Did This Happen?

I've only lost 16lbs in 6 months and I was feeling really down yesterday.
(No loss in inches or lbs since July 6.)
Long story short, I ate a piece of yellow cake with sugar sweetened whipped cream on top. I really enjoyed it.

Then, my neck began to itch. I ended up with a terrible red rash all over my neck. I'm talking "huge" rash. This was the second time in 6 months I have eaten anything with sugar. The other time was a small amount of sugar and it gave me a slight rash on my neck.
Have I become allergic to sugar?
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Now I'm REALLY bummed out. Not only do I feel guilty about cheating,
I am miserable also. Sorry, just had to vent.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 22:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Now wouldn't that be a heck of a note...if our vices suddenly started to give us immediate repurcussions! It probably wouldn't take too much of that to get me on the straight and narrow.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:19
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hmmm i have no idea what might have caused this??
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:

keep a food diary of everything you eat you will be surprised and write down the number of carbs. dont cheat u must write everything aten and drank and your moods or why you ate. do this for a week and keep a journal on year and we will all help you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:29
Registered Member

Stats: 250/220.5/130 Female 5'3
BF:Don't Know.
Progress: 25%

Have you ever explored information about Candida? I know that it feeds off of sugar and a common symptom is facial rash. There is a sub-group on this site that discusses Candida & IBS. (Sorry but I don't know how to post a link.) I have just recently learned that I have a Candida(yeast)problem and have found that group incredibly helpful.

Best of luck to you!
KK
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The problem with determining what caused your reaction is that the cake contained other things besides sugar such as flour (wheat), eggs and probably food colorings if it was a mix.
You may have had a sensitivity to one of these things all along, but never reacted like this because you at them frequently and your body was used to it. Now that you've been off it for a while, the reaction is much stronger. My DH has allergies and has noticed the same effect with things that he was eating and now knows that he is allergic to (like nuts) but had been eating. Now, even a small amount sets off an immediate and powerful reaction.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:03

Thanks to you all. KK, I posted yesterday in the Candida forum. What are you doing to battle the Candida? I checked the site and there are so many things people take that I came out really confused.
Thanks again.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:19
Registered Member

Stats: 250/220.5/130 Female 5'3
BF:Don't Know.
Progress: 25%

GramnNGramp -

I am only in the third day of treating my candida problem. I am following a Candida diet (can be found online easily doing a Google search) which is absolutly lowcarb plus absolutly no sugar (even the fake stuff!), no cheese (exepct fresh mozzerella and cream cheese), no mushrooms, no nuts, no vinegar, no beer or wine, and no processed meats (ie, bacon, sausage, etc.)

In addition I purchased acidophilus from the refridgerated section of my local health food store, which I take every morning and an hour before dinner. This is a "probiotic" which provides good bacteria for your body to replace the nasty yeat. Acidophilius is the kind of bacteria found in yogurt.

I am also taking a garlic supplement every morning with breakfast. (I purchased a strong one that only needs to be taken once a day. You can also eat a lot of fresh garlic. If you do buy the pills be sure they are enteric coated so that they make it to the intestines where the yeast likes to live.)

last but not at all least I am taking a product called Yeast Cleanse. It contains several things that kill yeast. (Caprycilic acid, grapefruit seed extract...) If you check at a health store you will find several brands of yeast killing products. This is the first one I'm trying. I've also read a lot of posts about Candistroy and Twin Labs Yeast Fighter. As far as these products are concerned, be sure to ease your way up to the recommended dosages as they cause something called yeast "die off". When the yeast is attacked and begins to die you will find that your symptoms will increase for a short time (days to weeks maybe depending on how bad your problem is) but eventually those little buggers will be gone. Of course as they die, your body will excrete them asap so you may find yourself in the bathroom a bit more than ususal. Be sure to keep your water up to flush them all out!

I'm no expert by any means but I got a lot of information from my doctor, reading posts here, and internet research. I am already having die-off feelings so I think it is working for me.

I wish you the very best of luck!!!
KK
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:17

Thanks so much for the information KK. I do believe that I have Candida from the symptoms described on the sites. I felt very good after the initial week on Atkins, but lately I have low energy and an achy feeling in my "gut". Then the terrible rash happened
after eating the sugar.
The information you gave me is very helpful. I will try the supplements and the diet; can't hurt.