Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/143/118 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Miscarriage

Hello, Everyone!

This is my first message on this board. I suffered a miscarriage about six weeks ago, and started binging and purging about a month ago. I've been very depressed lately and out-of-control. But, as of three weeks ago, I've been following the Atkins way of life, and I feel a lot better. However, I've only lost four pounds while on Induction, and I'm following the plan religiously, following all of his pointers/rules. Also, I just got my period for the first time in five months. Can someone please tell me if a recent pregnancy/misscarriage can affect the rate of weight loss and how so? When will I be losing weight at a more normal rate for someone doing Atkins?

Thanks a lot,
Luz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 19:34

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hello Luz. I am very sorry about your loss. My prayers are with you. I don't know if the miscarriage would affect you weight loss but your period certainly will. It seems like almost all of us females pick up some temporary water weight then. It will go away when your TOM is finished though. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Four pounds is a significant amount! Just hang in there hon and it will come off. You don't have a whole lot of weight to lose compared to lots of people (including me) so your loss may be somewhat slower. Seems the more you have to lose, the more the initial loss will be. The amount you can reasonably expect to lose on induction is 10% of what you need to lose, so you've already surpassed that. Good luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Your body is still going through a LOT of adjusting. Be patient and kind to yourself, and by the way, I agree that you're making GREAT progress.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 08:56

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Luz - I am so very sorry for your loss! But I agree with the others. First, you're ahead of the game losing 4 pounds, since the average loss is 10% of what you need to lose. And, while that may seem a small amount to you, it's really nothing to sneeze at! Secondly, after you are finished with TOM, you will probably see a couple more pounds hit the way side . Lastly, you are going through a lot, mentally and physically. Give yourself time - the body goes through a lot of adjustments when you begin this WOE, especially if you have a history of yo-yo dieting. Be patient - the results will come ! If you're not exercising, I strongly encourage it. You will get better results - and it will enhance your mental well-being. I wish you the best!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:22

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi Luz,
I just wanted to send you a message of encouragement about your pregnancy loss. I had two early miscarriages then went on to have two successful pregnancies in a row. I also changed my eating and exercise for the better in the period following my second miscarriage. Thus I was in good condition when I was lucky enough to get pregnant again (that also took a while--about nine months--so don't get discouraged).

Two pounds a week is a good rate of loss; any more wouldn't be best for your body.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:30

Stats: 147/143/118 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress:
Default Omigod! Thank You!

My many thanks to all of you who responded to my message w/ all your words of encouragement. I feel honestly so much better after reading your responses. I know some people in my personal life try to make me feel better, but you guys have been there/are going through similar trails and tribulations, and that's why what you wrote means more to me than what anyone else says (mind you, these people in my life have kind hearts, but have never had a weight or food problem). Sorry if my writing doesn't make all that much sense, but, from the bottom of my heart - THANK YOU!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:23

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Luz - You make perfect sense . No matter how well-intentioned, kind-heartedness does not equal understanding. You're among people here who have the same battles as you do and can relate to your struggles (and vice versa). Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're doing!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:51
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Add me to the list of people with similar experiences.

I was diagnosed with an eating disorder (compulsive eating) while I was in college. That was 9 years ago and fortunately I've spent many more of those years "okay with food" than not, but the truth is that my obsessive tendencies are still here. They probably always will be.

Two years ago I had an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy. It was devastating. But just this May I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. Life has a way of coming around in the end. (It also took us 9 months to conceive our son, as someone else said above.)

I've only been on Atkins 2 1/2 weeks and I love it. Stick with it and you will too. (I'm not claiming it will solve your personal problems, but it may help you shelve the food issues for a while.)

Hang in there and welcome to the board!

Last edited by RosaAlta : Tue, Aug-12-03 at 13:52.