Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%
Question What Type Of Scale Is Best?

Hi,

I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I've never done anything like this before. I have a digital scale and a regular scale (don't know what it's called) The digital scale weighs me at 190 but the other one weighs me at 185. How do I know which one is correct? I've figured it up and i've lost the same amount on each scale but I'd like to know what I "really" weigh.

Thanks,
DD
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 15:43

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Hi ya DD,
I dont know if there really is a perfect scale.. since you are reading 5lbs lost on each scale then I think you should focus on the fact that 5 are gone, not about how much the scale says you still have. Also, how about taking your measurements and going by how many inches you lose over time rather than what you weigh??

Weighing yourself can be discouraging since you sometimes retain more water than other times, and I find that if I weigh in on a morning that I am up in weight it can get me down for the rest of the day. Also, as you workout and gain muscle, you transform fat into muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. Sometimes the scale numbers dont really represent the true picture.

hope this helps!
cheers,
Jodi

Last edited by deze : Tue, Aug-05-03 at 15:44.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 15:44

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%

Stick with one scale or the other, or you're likely to raise your stress levels. If one scale is significantly newer than the other, use that one.

In addition, take some benchmark measurements. Women, more than men, shouldn't rely solely on the scale as a measure of progress on a diet. Your menstrual cycle will cause fluctuations in water retention over the course of a month, and hence, in your weight. Heck, even I weigh 1/2 a lb. more after taking a shower.

The fit of your clothes is another reliable indicator of changes in your body.

If you have a model that measures body fat, too, that measurement isn't as trustworthy, especially as one gets near the low 20's for women and the low teens for men. All BF measurement systems have a 3% margin of error, BTW.

Last edited by acohn : Tue, Aug-05-03 at 15:48.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%

Thanks,

I'd really like to go with the one that says I weigh 185 but I guess I'll stick with the digital one. It's new. lol...13lb gone is 13lbs so I don't guess it really matters. I was just curious.

Happy LCing
DD
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:12

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The hidden one...

I mean the best scale is the hidden one. Put it away and use it only once a week, better, once a month:-)
Otherwise it can drives you crazy on any hot day, when you drink more water, or during your period. Similar way it can give false result after any exercise.

I lost 32 lbs with using once a month a $5.99 Target scale.

I agree, measuring yourself is much better way.
Good luck, and congrat for the 13 lbs.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!

The best scale is the digital (even though it reads more) because it's the most accurate. There's no room for error with it AND it shows the 1/2 pounds lost that the other scale doesn't!!

I bought one, but haven't used it yet! I hate scales.

Good luck!