Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: ADKINS
Stats: 185/183/165
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question South Beach Diet and Atkins Diet

Has anyone read up on the south beach diet? It seems to be the same as atkins at first glance...2 week break in cycle, then add in berries and whole wheat foods. Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed or looked into this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

It does sound about the same, i read an article in prevention mag a few weeks ago. The first 2 weeks your supposed to be in ketosis... so it's pretty much the same things, i think its a bit more lenient on carbs and allows more nuts and stuff during induction.
I would be skeptical to buy the book because it's based on the same principals, maybe you should try reading it on the web site or ivillage.com will have a sample menu, background of the diet and user ratings. hth
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I went to the book store and sat down and read the first 2 week menu and it was so involved that I knew I would never stick to it. The food suggestions were not as simple as atkins and just way too much to follow to me.

Donnie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 16:33

Stats: 243/187/145 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 57%

It is very similar to Atkins. But to me it's a lot more complicated. I think Dr. Atkins just lays it out there for you. Way easier to follow!

~Amy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:33

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree there are a lot of similarities but looks alot more complicated to follow. I find atkins very easy to follow and love it
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 18:16
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I agree. The SBD sounds too complicated to attempt.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 19:15

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

My sister-in-law is on it. She says its alot like Atkins except you can eat more fruit but very little fat. She has done pretty good on it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Modified CKD
Stats: 243/225.5/200 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/24%/17%
Progress: 41%

My take on the diet was that it was a little more liberal than Atkins after induction.

It was like:

Start with Atkins, and then transition to the Life without bread plan, and then transition to the Zone.

I've had some success with all three diets, so I figure the SBD is bound to work, if you can follow it.

I don't know about all the specific food-choice requirements, though.

--Jim
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:46
Registered Member

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

"My sister-in-law is on it. She says its alot like Atkins except you can eat more fruit but very little fat. She has done pretty good on it." quote from gerriz.
How is that like atkins then? Atkins has a lot of fat and very little fruit. I dont see the similarity at all.

Last edited by RobinG. : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 18:47.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 14:54

Plan: A4L
Stats: 147/138/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 75%

South Beach Diet is not low carb. The doctor that invented it even says so.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/945759.asp?cp1=1#BODY
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have the book, and have read through the menus and food lists.

The diet and menu plan is as follows:

- For the first 2 weeks, you may have modest low-fat protein portions, and fat-free cheeses. Low-glycemic vegetables including starchy legumes and beans. Some nuts. Up to 75 calories per day of sugar-free candy, fudgsicles, hot chocolate, sweet treats. You are permitted olive and canola oil as the only allowed fats. Saturated fats are supposed to be bad, although there are no references given to support this, and what is mentioned is based on what happens when high CARBS are also eaten and insulin levels are elevated.

Scanning the menus, I'd say the carbs are roughly 40 - 50g net per day, and calories lowish, 1200 - 1400 per day depending on how much oil you use.

- For the main weight loss phase, you add back whole grains, cereal, bread, fruits, fat-free milk and yogurt, starchy vegetables (squash, yams, peas) You may also have sugar-free fat-free puddings and desserts, plus wine, in addition to the 75 calories of sweets.

Carbs average 80 - 100g net per day, and calories under 1500.

Even for lifetime maintenance, butter, real cheese and fat from meat is bad, bad, bad and you're admonished to eat sparingly, if at all.

~~~~~~~

Frankly, the only thing Atkins-like is the way the book is presented, and possibly the first 2-week phase is like Atkins' OWL, minus saturated fat. After that, it resembles the Sugar Busters Diet, which is also based on the Glycemic Index. Although Sugar Busters isn't against saturated fat.

Doreen