Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%
Unhappy have i destroyed myself?

sunday,,, the day when i will once again begin the atkins diet. i need help and asurance. i was once 176lbs i went on the atkins diet and went down to 132lbs, which is fantastic, however from frustration and ignorence i went off the diet, i then developed an eating disorder, compulsive overeater anorextic. i would binge on fatty carbs two to three days of the week and starve the rest, this continued for one year, i gained 22lbs during that time. i have decided to break that cycle and start the atkins diet again, but i am terrified of gaining weight,
have i destroyed my motabolism?
will i gain weight?
will i lose weight?
will i once again get down to 132lbs or be stuck forever?
i'd aprieciate your insight to my problem
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 07:16

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

IMO...if you stay on ATKINS and not go off...your body will adjust and you will lose the weight. If you Yo-Yo again...it will be just that much harder.

But most of all I wish you success over your demons. Exercise will help keep you on track and focus your mind... Whatever set you on this self-destructive phase must be dealt with as well. I wish you success in all areas.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 07:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158.5/154.0/122
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi,
I know exactly how you feel. I did pretty much the same thing to my body. Right now I struggle to lose weight. I have to count calories and to be honest I can't lose weight unless I go really low like 1000 calories. I know you are scared but don't be. Your body will finally see that it is not starving and start release some of that fat. For me it is an everyday struggle and it is so frustrating but I know I feel better now than I felt when I would binge then starve. Just know that there are people here who care and we will try to help you with anything we possibly can.

Kari
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

thank you for your replys, does this mean i should return to the diet with a lower calorie intake, i really wish i didn't mess my metabolism up!
i've just got really bad anxiety because my fear of weight gain, basically i just want someone to tell me everythings ok and i'll lose weight again,.... i wish!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Alexxa!

Put first things first. If you haven't already got help for your eating disorder, that's the first thing to do. Low-carbing will help to get your cravings under control but it's not the cure for an ED. You have to do a little work that's not diet related.

There are a few books that you may want to have a look at that will go into healing your metabolism. Schwarzbein Princple I & 2 by Diana Schwarzbein, Potatoes not Prozac by Kathleen Desmaisons and the Diet Cure by Julia Ross.

It's probably more important that you get yourself healthy in mind, body and spirit and not worry about a few extra pounds in the process. Down the road, you'll be glad you did.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Alexxa:
Did you go off Atkins because you got *stuck* at 132 and you wanted to get to 121?
If the above is true, remember to stop going for total perfection. You had accomplished SO MUCH already.
Love yourself first and remember to tell yourself GOOD things as you progress.
God knows, the media gives us enough negative image crud, don't let them win by making it your internal voice!!!

When I was 18, I wanted to be a model (I was 5' 11" and weighed 140 lbs) and happened to live 30 minutes outside of NYC. Every modeling agency told me I *had the look* but that I weighed too much - that I would have to lose another 20-30 lbs. I was THIN as it was because I am not a small boned person and I knew better. I realized it wasn't what I wanted after all and left the dream behind because losing another 20 lbs was UNHEALTHY!!!!
To be thin isn't just about looking good, you have to feel good while you are doing it. Atkins is a sold, good program that helps you establish healthy eating habits and also helps you mathematically figure out how to sustain an ideal weight.
I only regret I didn't know about Atkins in the early 90's before my eating habits made me ill (damage that cannot be reversed).
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:19

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I agree with Karen.