Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 07:21

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 134/134/134
BF:
Progress:
Angry Dawn phenomenom and Lantus

Ihave an annoying rise in BS at 3-4 am, that is not correctable except by shooting up at 2 am.

Lantus does not help.

What do others do for this?
Kathy

type 1, age 43, on mostly low carb except when feeding my kids and snitching.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: high fat
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just started on metformin with Lantus & Humalog. Yes I'm type 1. But I have insulin resistance and you may not, plus I need to lose weight. Dawn phenomenon seems to be gone. Before metformin I was having *huge* problems. Now, fasting sugar last 3 days has been 86, 89 and 82.

How big is the rise? I read a study that indicated fasting sugars had less impact than post-prandials, so if you're getting it down after breakfast... maybe you shouldn't worry too much?

Last edited by djorg : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 10:06.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 10:16

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 134/134/134
BF:
Progress:
Default dawn phenom

It's not so much the size of the fasting sugar that I dislike, but the amount I must take to bring it down. Normally, a 150 BS requires one unit to reduce it to 100. However, at 6 am, a 150 requires 6 units. A 200: ouch!
So anything I can do to keep it low at 6 am is good.
I am thin, and I am not considered resistant. It's a hormonal thing, as I understand.

QUOTE=djorg]I just started on metformin with Lantus & Humalog. Yes I'm type 1. But I have insulin resistance and you may not, plus I need to lose weight. Dawn phenomenon seems to be gone. Before metformin I was having *huge* problems. Now, fasting sugar last 3 days has been 86, 89 and 82.

How big is the rise? I read a study that indicated fasting sugars had less impact than post-prandials, so if you're getting it down after breakfast... maybe you shouldn't worry too much?[/QUOTE]
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 12:43

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default high morning bgs, protein glucose conversion

hi there,

all i can say is : me too! im lc, really quite thin (112 lbs, 5'6) active blah blah but ive got a dawn phenomenon that is nuts. for breakfast, i only get about 2-3 carbs per unit (premenstrual) and 4-5 carbs (not premenstrual). im sure this is a result of the dawn phenomenon, because my carb ratio gets better as the day goes on.
anyway: i get up at 2-3 EVERY night, and almost always take a unit on H to bring me into proper fasting range. i think this is partially due to the high protein dinners us low carbers eat. even protein becomes glucose, and if you have a big piece of meat for dinner to fill you up, 6-7 hours later, you do get a rise that can't, of course, be prevented with a shot at dinner, or you would go low.
it is the combination of my high protein, extended, slow glucose conversion lifestyle, combined with the nutso dawn phenomenon i have that is causing me to think about the pump. you can set your basal rate to increase when that protein is getting converted, which is the same time as when your dawn phenomenon is kicking in. i just want to sleep thought the night! lantus, of course, cant match peaks, its just a nice flat line of action that doesnt increase if you need it to.

thoughts on the effects for type ones of dinner time slow glucose conversion peaking in the night?