Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ???/???/160
BF:
Progress:
Cool Best exercise for abs, need suggestions

Hi! Newbie here.

I was just wondering what the best ab workouts are. Especially lower abs. I have a WHOLE LOTTA weight to loose and most of it is very stubborn belly fat . I'm doing between 1 to 3 miles a day on that "Walking Away The Pounds" system and, though I really like it, I want to focus on my stomach more. I've thought about doing Pilates for weightloss or that Body Flex system. Any thoughts on either of those would be appreciated as well.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:21

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Unfortunatly we can not choose where we lose fat. There are no "targeted workouts" for losing abs fat. As you lose fat, it will come off from all over your body and some will come off from your abs regardless of how many abs you do. I my case, when I started doing abs increased my gut a bit because my abs muscles gotten bigger and pushed out on the fat... So while working on a sixpack, I was developing a keg..

But back to your original question: lying down I use a big ball (red) and hold it between my feet and raise it up and down. The ball keeps you legs separated and adds a couple of pounds.. works for me.
Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:48
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

As Arie states... there is no spot reduction. But you can build muscle and lose fat and your body will eventually lose everywhere. Eventually.....

So the key is really consistant and enjoyable (so it remains consistant) exercise. Find what you like and do it. Change when you are bored but do it.

Your body will change for the better... I promise.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:04

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Best way I know to lose stubborn belly fat is to walk/run/swim/bike hard for 30-45 minutes daily, 5 or 6 days a week. Plus lift weights for an hour or so 3 days a week. This will fire up the furnace that will burn that fat off..spot exercise can't really do it.

On the other hand, if you want to build really strong abs about 20 to 30 minutes daily of ab-focused pilates work on an exercise ball plus some 'Janda' sit ups will fix you up. Janda situps are killers, but they really work.

Janda Sit Up
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:19

Stats: 227/202/185 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Muscle and Fitness magazine has a special ABS for Everyone magazine on newstands now. That's what I'm using. Also, here is a link to the ABS section of their site.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/mf/...1702/2_min.html

The best ab exercise is to burn less calories than you comsume.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 13:14
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Post ab exercises

Agreed - no spot reduction. only total reduction. As far as exercises go, there are a ton of things you can do for your midsection. Here's a few:

1) Crunches - like a situp, you lie on your back with legs bent. If you have a weak neck, you can put your hands behind your head for support - but do NOT pull up on your neck. Then lift your shoulders off the floor up about 6" and then back down. This will allow contraction of the upper/middle ab section without strain to the back.

2) Modified crunches - With crunches, the more weight you have on the upper body, the harder they'll be to do. To make crunches easier, you can extend your arms (like superman or a diver). When you do your crunch, extend arms to a spot between your legs or on the outside of your legs. This will be easier as there's less weight on your upper torso and you'll gain neck strength after a short while.

3) Leg lifts - Lie on your back. Place both hands palms down under the small of your back (lower back). It'll feel like you're almost sitting on your hands. Then lift your head up enough to see your feet. Then, with feet together, raise your legs up 6" and then back down - almost touching the floor. This up/down motion works the lower abs and the hip flexor muscles.

4) Twisting crunches - Similar to a crunch but more advanced. Once you gain muscle strength you should be able to do these. Hands behind your head and legs straight out. You will alternate your right elbow with your left knee and visa versa. This does take a little coordination but its GREAT for the tum tum.

5) Side bends w/weights - Grab a 10lb dumbell. Now stand in front of a mirror so you can see yourself. With arms to your sides and legs together, take the arm with the dumbell and stretch slowly to the outside of your leg (down to the mid thigh). You're just bending over sideways with weight. This works the ouside ab area. Just alternate sides. Remember... the more weight you use, the bigger your abs will get due to resistance. So unless you want a bluky gut, don't go too heavy on weights.

People tend to stress too much on abs and not enough on lower back. They actually work hand in hand. If your stomach gets too weak, your back takes up the slack (to some degree). That's why you get BACK ACHES when you're a lazy slob. (hehe)

I suggest doing roman chair situps. Well, actually its a reverse situp but I think you get the picture. Have your local gym rat or personal trainer show you how to use this correctly. This exercise alone will make your back feel great.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Coolcat : Thu, Jul-10-03 at 13:19.