Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 18:17

Plan: my own
Stats: 265/250/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Question....peanut butter during induction?

I'm 6 days into induction and have lost 5 pounds already, but....this evening I had a really bad sweet craving...and the kids are running around munching on their usual sweet stuff. Well...I NEARLY ate a cookie, but then saw the carb count and put that back! I won't drag you through my entire pantry ordeal but I finally found the peanut butter and the carb count isn't bad on it. 3 carbs for a tablespoon....and needless to say, I ate it! Now I'm feeling really guilty cause I know it had sugar in it. Anyone else eat PB during induction??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 19:01

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

You really should work through the cravings, that's the point of induction. Peanuts are kinda high since theyare not really a nut, they're a legume. Better choice would be macadamia nuts. They really do hit the spot.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 19:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Mychelle,

If you check your list of allowed foods, you'll see that nuts are not allowed on Induction.

And, as Manucpa said, peanuts are technically legumes, not nuts, and can lead to cravings for a lot of folk.

I really think it helps to do a "clean" Induction. Nuts can be added gradually one you go into OWL. Meanwhile, just pick yourself up and carry on. Just keep to the plan from now on.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 20:12

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Peanunt Butter is a NO NO on induction! Stick to the foods list if you want this WOE/WOL to work for you!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 21:26

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Second what everyone else said, but at least you stuck with the lesser of two evils. I've always said that if you feel like you are REALLY going to cheat and can't stop yourself, then try to find some sort of "legal" cheat. While it's true that PB isn't allowed on induction, it is allowed later in the plan. I think you did well with just a tablespoon and not giving in to the cookie. Good for you! Just get back on track and you won't even be craving soon.

~Angi~
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 21:30

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Rosebud is right...it is better to do a clean induction, and the cravings will go away, or at least be reduced to manageable levels. Make sure you are getting enough fat in your diet..Fitday is great for keeping track, and that should help as well...but induction is pretty strict...then you can add foods if you wish.
Good luck
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 06:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Mychelle,
I think one of the first things I can suggest to you is to review the "usual sweet stuff" your children are eating. We teach our children how to eat (Isn't that where some of the weight problems with us comes from?) Perhaps if you start weening them into better snacks (like fresh berries) or homemade berrie pops...etc that you can eventually have ....not only will it be good for you but good for your children in their future. Just a suggestion.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 10:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Blue Bunny which is sold at walmart, has recently come out with splenda sweetened icecream bars. They still contain lactose and are a bit to high carb for me, but I find them to be a great summer treat for my son.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 11:59

Plan: my own
Stats: 265/250/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks all for your support. I really really had a case of the guilts after that PB, as I should. I don't think it'll happen again in the near future, I hope at least!

LadyBelle....your children are absolutely gorgeous!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 13:03
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thanks

Once you move on to OWL you might try looking for unsweetened almond butter. It has a ton of protien, is nut based instead of legume, and I absolutely love the taste. Health food stores will carry nut butters. I grabbed macadamia nut butter too, but while it isn't bad, it just doesnt taste as good on things.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

yummmm nut butters. Thanks for the idea. Anyone know what or where you can find wasa crackers? I wrote myself a note about them to pick them up (must be low in carbs?) Couldn't find them at ther grocer?