Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:07

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default SPI vs SPII - Cortisol question

I have the SP book and cookbook but found out about the testing and all that on her website. SPII was NOT in my bookstore today or when I bought SPI so can someone please help me until I locate it?

My question is about burned out adrenals. I was tested for a few things by an endocronologist a year or two ago. She said it was odd how low my cortisol was - is this a possible sign of burned out adrenals? She was totally into mainstream medicine and told me I should get psychological help (!!). Does this sound familar, anyone??? (just a rhetorical question! no answers necessary on that one )

I would like to have the tests but was wondering if there is some sort of information in the book regarding the symptoms of the different classifications of insulin problems, adrenal problems, etc. that will help me out until I can get the testing done.

Thanks!!!!
JInx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 17:03

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

Quote:
She said it was odd how low my cortisol was - is this a possible sign of burned out adrenals?

I think that's a huge question. Dr. S lists a variety of reasons for low cortisol, most of which are severe or rare. More of the emphasis seems to be on high cortisol levels. I haven't read every single page of the book yet, but I don't think that she gives specifics about test results (i.e. what they mean). It could be that you have burnt out adrenal glands. But why would your doctor recommend you go to a psychiatrist for that problem? That sounds a little bizarre.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 18:55

It was the standard response when I've told a physician that I am constantly tired - must be a mental problem...nothing SERIOUSLY physically wrong.

WTFE!!
Jinx
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 19:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jinxy:

According to Dr. S, there are many causes to low cortisol levels, which include disease, trauma, drug interactions, and/or life-style. As Zandria says, it would indicate burned out adrenal glands.

Cortisol prevents your blood pressure from going too low and also helps prevents low blood sugar. If your cortisol production is too low, you might have to take cortisol hormone replacement. I think she recommends that you change your eating and stress habits first before embarking on hormone replacement if it's lifestyle based low cortisol. However, if it's glandular-based, lifestyle changes won't cure it. I'd have to guess that the cortisol wasn't low enough for her to consider it a glandular-based cause. Endocrinologists in general don't consider adrenal fatigue as a medical condition. That would be far too preventative for their liking. Better to deal with the condition after it's too far gone to heal on its own. As for the psychiatric recommendation. Jeez! It always gets me how some doctors reduce everything to psychiatric problems. How useless they can be sometimes.

Anyway, now that I'm off my soapbox , there are separate chapters on each of the major hormones so it's well worth getting your hands on a copy if you can b/c it gets a bit complicated. I've read the book twice and I'm still learning stuff.

She does mention that low cortisol levels make it impossible to burn off fat weight. Low cortisol levels can manifest with: allergies, arthritis, asthma, candida, chronic fatigue syndrome, degenerative diseases, depresion, fibromyalgia, headaches, insomnia, cystitis, IBS, and/or suppressed immune system.

Is that what you are looking for? Or are you looking for info about the healing program? Let me know.

Ya, WTFE!!

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:01

Thanks you wonderful women

Quote:
Originally posted by wcollier

She does mention that low cortisol levels make it impossible to burn off fat weight.

That would really explain a lot. I have truly busted my rear doing BFL for the longest with amazingly limited results - pretty much no fat loss. I mean I was totally into it. I COULD lose 5 lbs or so but NEVER fat weight, always lean body mass. My buddy who started at least 6 months after me and with a much lower protein diet (totally veggie + high carbs) had significantly better results. It's truly astounding that my fat percentage is still around 30 - 32%.

I'm going to find this book tomorrow.

I guess a part of my question was, does the book list possible symptoms of these various maladies that are particular ONLY to cortisol, for instance. Like, I have allergies, etc., etc. but one of many conditions could contribute to their manifestation. Is there a list that says," If your idiotic body holds on to your blubber like a drowning rat holds onto a life raft, then you probably have low cortisol."

I'm THIRSTY for info!! I was so perplexed that my SP book didn't address the stuff you talk about, Wanda. So glad to finally realize I needed YET ANOTHER book!

I WILL get to the bottom of this maze!!!

Nitey NIte,
Jinx
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 05:36

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

MsJinx, I am not a total expert on SP II, yet, but I am just throwing in my two cents. I know in the book she recommends not exercising for the first month of the plan, if you have burnt out adrenal glands. Then, she recommends starting off slowly with exercise, 10 minutes a day, cardio. If you are "busting your butt" on BFL, it might be too much for you. Your adrenals really need to heal, and too much exercise is not good for you. I don't remember reading about the low cortisol issue, I need to re-read the book! I have alot of the issues mentioned by Wanda - allergies, candida, fibromyalgia etc. Never had my cortisol tested. I can't believe a doctor would refer you to a psch. because of fatigue! Is that her way of saying "I have no clue what is wrong with you, so just go away?"

-Denisebeiner
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 06:51

Hi DB,
Yes, that's exactly it. I present with a consistently low temperature, very low blood pressure, terrible fatigue, and some other lovely symptoms. Thyroid tests are done - I'm within normal range (another nurse practitioner gave me armour natural thyroid script anyway some years ago). SO, therefore I must be depressed. I'll admit I have always been very tired, etc., etc. but I could never convince anyone that my low numbers were a problem. It's like a Limbo party and everyone is chanting, "How low can ya go?" "How low can ya go?" They LOVE it!

My FEMALE GP actually told me I needed to have a baby to take my mind off my (hyochondria inferred here) problems! Pretty uncouth when you consider that for various reasons, we decided some time ago to NEVER have children.

My other gyno looks at my very fleshy (fatty!) but fairly small body and concludes that I MUSt not be getting exercise. I was going to step class 5 days a week during my lunch hour when this happened. I feel like I've been living in an alternate realtiy!!

And yes, about the exercise, that's kind of what I suspected. I did BFL for over a year solid, getting up and going to the gym at 5 every morning before class. I firmed up a tiny bit but my strength never went up. I have pictures to show my dismal lack of success. All it really did was keep me from gaining - and that includes gaing muscle, which did not happen.

Must go, frustration is in the air!!,
Jinx

Last edited by MsJinx : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 06:54.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

I just saw my doctor last week, and she was not too interested in finding answers, either. Her conclusion was that "You're a mom, and you're just getting 'run down.'" So, what? I can't be healthy and energetic until my kids are grown? Please!

Naturally my thyroid and hemoglobin came back normal, so I'm no further ahead, there. I've also always had a low body temp and low blood pressure, in addition to the low energy, so I'm very interested in your experience. Maybe I'll have to tackle SPII after all -- I haven't yet.

Funny thing about the "have a baby" advice. Ridiculous, of course. But have to say that my last pregnancy did something way right for my body, at least while it lasted. I felt great! Lots of energy, and clear-headed focus like I've never had in my life -- certainly not for the last couple of years. The things I got done, even with three little ones already running around! I wish I knew how to feel like that again. Short of getting pregnant, of course -- that was only a temporary "fix," and it only happened during one of my three pregnancies. (We adopted our third, in case you're doing the math. )

Well, energy or no, I'd better get something done today!

Beth
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 10:27

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%
Default Adrenal Fatigue

If you are interested in learning more about adrenal fatigue, go to [URL=www.adrenalfatigue.org]. I am currently reading Dr. Wilson's book on adrenal fatigue and am getting alot out of it. I also have Dr. S's 2nd book but wanted more info. I have alot of the same symptoms that you have--severe fatigue, hair loss, weight around middle (well, hips, thighs, bottom as well ), the list goes on and on. I thought it was due to low progesterone at first, but have since learned that the low progesterone is probably due to adrenal fatigue as well. I am hoping for big results from what I learn from this book. I hope it can help you as well.

Tig
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 11:10
Mad Scientist

BF:

Jinxy (and Beth), your stories sounds like soooo many of ours. I wouldn't be surprised if you react the same way to reading SPII as many of us with burned out adrenals did. It's like she's talking to you personally. So much begins to make sense.

Low cortisol and low adrenaline states are the same in symptoms. In fact, she refers the reader back to the low adrenaline states when discussing symptoms of low cortisol.

As Tig mentions, there's lots of info on the internet about adrenal fatigue (or burned out adrenals, same thing). Here's another good site you can look at until the book comes in:
http://www.drrind.com/scorecard.asp

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:29

Hey Wanda (or anyone else who knows the answer )

I have access to a friends glucometer (is that what those things are called?? If not, they should be.). I was wondering if I can find out if I'm insulin sensitive or resistant with that. I had a fasting glucose done and it was, of course, normal. My adrenals are burned out but not sure about insuin sensitivity/resistance. I'd prefer to do this myself if possible.

Thanks!
Jinx

PS I GOT THE BOOK!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:16
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hey Jinxy, that's great you got the book! I'm sure you'll be busy the next few days absorbing the info like a sponge.

As for the glucometer, I think it would only show the amount of glucose in your blood, not the amount of insulin. I don't know enough about them to make any kind of educated guess.

You could get your doctor to do a fasting insulin profile. I just had one done during my physical. But mainly, Dr. S. indicates IR with one or more of the following: excess fat weight around the midsection, high triglycerides with low HDL levels, high blood pressure, Type II diabetes and/or coronary artery disease.

IMHO, insulin resistance is the easier of the two to figure out without a test. Without a degenerative disease, you'd be Insulin Sensitive.

HTH,
Wanda
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:23

OKEY DOKEY!!! Insulin sensitive it is! That's what I wanted to hear.

I do carry ALL my weight in my abdomen (and right above ) so I was perplexed. However, my bp has always been low (way low!), my triglycerides are low, my HDL is good and high - goody!! I really didn't want to be insulin sensitive.

I do love this book. The other one was just WAY too vague. I really stick with supplements, organic, eating plans, whatever, if I know the WHY????

Thanks as always, Wanda. You KNOW I'm going to devour that book but I need to know what to eat IMMEDIATELY!! You're the bestest.

JInx

PS I loaned book one to Mom, got my fingers crossed!! I probably should have bought a case of them. Unfortunately, people aren't ready for this jelly.