Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Stillmans

What exactly is it? I tried the fat fast, and it worked somewhat, but I was starving on it and had to do at least 1,200 calories to keep from gnawing my foot off. Once I ate I was fine, even though there were only 200 calories there, I just had to add a 6th meal at night.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 22:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi LadyBelle, welcome to the board!

Let me reassure you first that you are actually doing very well. It is very, very common to have a bit of a plateau after the initial Induction losses.

Did you know that the average loss during Induction is 10% of the weight you need to lose, followed by 5 to 10% after that? So you see you are actually ahead! The folk who lose large numbers of pounds are those with larger amounts to lose in general.

The Fat Fast is for metabolically resistant people only - that is, people who cannot lose a pound on Induction and after. You are lucky to not be at all metabolically resistant.

The reason for the plateau after the initial loss, is that your body "panics" a little and holds onto water for a while. All you have to do is continue your Atkins plan, and soon you will have a visit from the Whoosh Fairy.

If you are merely curious about Stillman, it is a high protein, low fat, very low carb plan. But trust me, you don't need it! Lucky you! Just hang in there and the weight will go. I promise!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

The Stillman Diet is outlined here. Basically you eat lean meats, skinless poultry, fish, whole eggs, and lowfat cottage cheese .. and that's about it. No added fat. It's very difficult to consume more than 1200 calories, and most people who try this plan find they're in ketosis very quickly, which means big-time appetite suppression ... and even lower calorie intake. For the purpose of low-carbing, it's used as a stall-buster only ... it's too low calorie and too low fat to be maintained for more than a few days to a week at most.

Are you truly stalled .. 4 - 6 weeks with no lbs lost on the scale and no inches lost with the tape measure?? You might want to have a look at this checklist first .. Stalls and Plateaus for suggestions and solutioins for the lack of progress.

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 01:27

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Stillmans is the boring, unhealthy diet from hell

I have used it all a stall breaker - but this was after a one year stall - plus I am on meds which slow my metabolism.

If you are losing, leave Stillmans alone. If you really want to suffer, don't do it for more than 3 or 4 days or you could slow down your metabolism.

In my experience Stillmans causes diarrhea due to the 0 fibre content by the way.

Robert
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think I will stay with just the induction for now. I'm cutting down on my dairy in case that was causing some of the stall. I also started a journal on fitday which I think is great. I can keep track of my cabs and calories and make sure I'm getting good protien and fat.

Those 3 pounds I lost from the fat fast came back after 2 days on induction anyway, so it doesn't seem to offer a good method. And my stall was only for about a week, so I just need patience.

Darn one handed typing and typos from holding kiddos