Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 09:09

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default I think it's the running!!

Hi,

On mothers day, I bought a pair of size 14 jeans from Macy's. They were okay if I didn't breath and a huge huge roll of fat hung over. Not pretty. Well since then, I vowed to lose so I can wear them to my grandma's 85th b day party this weekend. For the last three weeks, I have been running everyother day at least 2 to 3 miles 4 times a week and increased my speed by alot. By golly I tried the jeans on today and they actually fit. They are a tad tight around the waist but no more fat rolls hangin off!! Many years ago I lost alot of weight running and stopped. I believe in lifting weights to build muscle and help to burn fat that way, but I truly believe for some of us, like me, cardio is the kicker for fat loss. Running especially seems to take inches off really fast for me. Anyother light runners out there have the same experience??

Kat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 09:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

Hi Kat - I must say I'm very envious! I never was a serious runner, for the last few years start runnung in the mid to late spring. Because our weather has been so sucky, I'm getting a much later start that usual. Only ran once, about 2 weeks ago. Part of the problem was other commitments, I probably could've run a few more times. But I also go to the gym for a Nautilus workout. Question - were you able to run the 2-3 miles right away? I always have to start out at just 1/4 or 1/2 mile increments, with a lot of walking inbetween. I am so looking forward to being able to run a solid 2 miles. Afew years ago when I got in the running groove, I lost some weignt, and I was convinced that's what did it.
Diane
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 10:31

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default hi

HI Diane,

Thanks for your reply Actually I have been running 2 miles for quite sometime. The only difference is now I am going for speed instead of just kinda trotting along and I am finding out how hard it is to run faster. So I get a great workout. Also, at the gym, I sometimes incline the treadmill to a steep slope the last 1/2 mile and sprint. I try and change it up alot from running inddors to outdoors. Just go slow. Run 1/2 mile walk for 20-30 seconds and keep going. Stop for 20-30 sec and go on, etc. By timeing your walking, you limit yourself to enough time to catch your breath and keep on!! 20 -30 seconds is small enough time but enough. You don't want to start haveing your body cool down, it's hard to keep going after that!! Hope that helps. Just remember to change it up. (speed, incline, resting).

bye
Kat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 10:44

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%
Cool new motivation

Well I'm definitely psyched to get back into running, which I haven't done in a while. I saw rapid changes as well...back then. I'm down with an injury, but I'm looking forward to getting back out there in due time! Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 08:22

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%
Default jogging

I have been getting back into jogging also. I started off walking. Then I went to walk one and run one (lap on track). Now I am looking forward to run 2 and take it from there.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/158/125
BF:
Progress: 21%

Last summer when I started running, I dropped a bunch of weight without altering my diet. But that weight came back immediatly when I stopped running in the fall.
Cardio and eating right is the key to weight loss for me. But of course when I add in strength training, I lose weight quicker.
This week I have started running again. My goal is to add more miles each week. It is very hard starting up again, I wish I would of never quit last year! I feel like I'm starting from square one! But I miss the runner's high I use to get, plus my legs were got really toned when I was running!
I ran/walked a 5k during lunch today and my legs are aching! Hopefully by the end of the summer I will be a running machine.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 19:41

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was 175 lbs, when in 2003 I started a running program. Without any previous running experience. I used the walk/jog method. (Learned from Galloway.) It took me almost two months to be able to run 3 mile (1 mile run, 1 min walk, 1 mile run, 1 min walk, I mile run). Nevertheless, I lost weight very fast. 15 lbs during the first two months. 20 more during the next 7 months. Being 45 yr old that time, I consider it is remarkable.

(As for carbs, I kept them between 60-80.)

I think that running could be a very enjoyable way to help wieght loss.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 15:32

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Kat123: What a lucky kid! I'd love to see inches disappear (3 weeks!), so I'm taking you as inspiration.

I've been jogging (treadmill at the Y) since 2003 (minus 1-year abroad), and wonder if my body just has become too efficient at it (3 or 4 miles at about 5.6mph average steady state). I've just (2 weeks?) started trying less time, more intervals (jog at 5.2mph, run at 7.2mph for 30sec-1min interval over 30min), so maybe that will lead to inch-loss.

I just have hit the plateau from hell and am casting about for any new ideas (green tea, anyone?). I'll try incorporating your changing inclines as well.

Congrats--

Terry24
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 19:42

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 171.2/171.2/130 Female 65.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I started running seriously in feb. of this year and immediatly saw inches lost- like in two weeks I dropped a pants size! Now I just love running, it's crazy, I used to hate it.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 21:05
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Running is addictive! I'm not losing weight with it (darn ) but I love it and I know I'm eating way more than I'd be able to without it.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 21:41
Registered Member

Plan: Low Fat
Stats: 103.4/103.4/88 Female 125 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Running releases feel good chemicals in the body
and im addicted... but i personally prefer skating or dancing as a mean of exercise.

Good luck,
Nicole xx
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 15:02

Plan: My own
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 67
BF:
Progress:

Don't forget to add some form of resistance training to your workout.

As a baseline, exercise for it to be effective and healthful must achieve 3 goals, increase metabolic rate, preserve and/or increase muscle mass and strengthen the cardiovascular system. Weight or resistance training is an essential part of this plan.

The more efficient your body is at pumping blood usually the more healthy the body. The main pumper is of course you heart and moderate amounts of aerobic exercise are essential. But one must also realize that the muscles of the body also work to pump the blood back to the heart. You have blood vessels that course through the muscles and when they contract they act as a pump to keep the blood flowing.

1. You will feel better about yourself and how you look. Ultimately, your self-image is internal but is based on many external factors and when you start setting goals for yourself and achieving them and looking better, you will strengthen your self-image.

2. Increase your metabolic rate. As you age, your metabolic rate slows down as the years go by. Resistance and weight training are incredibly effective at raising this rate so that when you are not exercising you will be using more calories!

3. Enhanced Performance – And it doesn’t matter what type of sport or “activity” I may be talking about (wink).

4. Increased kinesthetic awareness – By lifting weights properly you will develop a sense of how your body moves and your joints articulate, this will lead to better balance and decreased injuries.

5. Strength training programs have been verified in numerous studies to lower blood pressure and high cholesterol.

6. Increased strength. Lets face it we are all aging, getting weaker, and slowing down as we get older. Turn that around why don’t you!! Get stronger and increase your metabolic rate and FEEL BETTER.

If you have never lifted weights before you should check with you doctor if he/she thinks it would be ok for you. Also you MUST have guidance when starting out. Nothing makes me more horrified than to see someone who obviously has no idea how to lift weights and is just asking for injuries. Your local gym will often give you 1 or 2 free training sessions. Personal training is no longer for rich movie stars, it is often much more affordable than many think.

Another option would be to avail yourself of training via the web. One great website is Global Health and Fitness. They have great videos of how to use equipment and free weights and will even design a workout program for you. You can email personal trainers with any questions and they get back to you very quickly.

If you haven’t already incorporated a weight training program into your life, then sit down, write down a specific goal of starting and get to it. You won’t regret it! You CAN DO IT!!

Regards,

docjon