Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 176/167/159
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question How long to stay on induction?

Hi all! I am going towards my 5th week of Induction because I have not been losing any weight the past three weeks.

Is it ok to stay in Induction for longer than two weeks?

Or should I proceed to Phase 2, start adding more carbs, and see whether I can loose some more weight? I don't have to loose that much anymore, only about another 3 or 4kg .. so I'm almost there.

THanks

Massimo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default Up to you!

Dr. Atkin's states that it is safe to stay on induction up to 6 months - but a lot of people feel that limiting yourself so much may lead to cheating or frustration.

It is also not at all surprising that you had a quick loss and then nothing. It takes a while for your body to adjust to this WOE.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:42

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default More reasons

Thanks to GotBeer from an earlier thread:

1. add variety to your diet,
2. add extra nutrition, and
3. begin OWL.

Adding variety will help you stick to the diet long-term - no boredom from eating the same induction foods over and over again.

Adding extra nutrition is, of course, always a good idea.

The best reason to stay in induction is that you haven't reached ketosis for some reason. Likewise, the best reason to go back to induction is after a cheat knocks you OUT of ketosis.

Does extended induction (while in ketosis) speed-up weight loss? Some say yes, but I have my doubts. If you are in it for lifetime weight-loss, then I think your best odds are to start OWL.

People who hit their target weight in Induction are most likely to return to their old eating habits - and we know where THAT goes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 01:31
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 176/167/159
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Always in ketosis?

Well as my target weight is in sight, another 3kg or so to go, I think it should be ok to go ahead and move to the 2nd phase.

I stopped eating cheese because I read in some posts that it may slow down weight loss .. so I guess I can start eating it again.

Am I supposed to be in Ketosis in all four stages of this weight loss plan? I use those Keto Sticks every morning and they are almost always in a deep purple colour, so I know I'm doing it right.

Massimo,
Switzerland
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 07:43
Registered Member

Stats: 165/159/150 Female 68
BF:26% / 26% / 21%
Progress: 40%

I'm in my tenth week and I still pretty much follow induction. I too do not lose each week, but my total weight loss goal was only 18 pounds. (From what I see of your picture - it appears that you don't need to shed too much)

So my theory is when you have less than 20 or so pounds to lose - it's going to come off more slowly and induction is a good way to accomplish the weight loss.

Anyway - I believe that Dr. Atkins' Nutritional Approach is a healthy way of life and induction has no adverse side affects on your health or well being. When you are ready - add back carbs as you feel comfortable.

Just my 2 cents! Keep up the good work!