Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%
Default discouraged

Ok guys, I'm getting a little yancy here. I started atkins Feb. 3rd, lost 10 lbs the first month, and 10 lbs the second, then five pounds in April and 4 lbs this month. I know this is good, but I was hoping to loose faster. I'm still in induction, I stay at 18-20 grams of carbs and calories between 1400-1600 which is 10-12 x my weight. I went from 170 to 141 which I now is awesome, but my goal was to be at 130 by June 27th, my stepdaughters wedding.

I feel like I'm not going to make that goal, thats 11 pounds in 5 weeks. Does anyone have any advise on how I can jump kick my body into burning fat faster. Or should I just be satisfied to where I'm at.

Lora
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/181/150
BF:
Progress: 63%

I was just wondering if you excerise and drink plenty of water. I dont know much about the atkins diet but I know that walking and lots of water help me.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:55

Stats: 255/236/195
BF:
Progress: 32%

Maybe you could try increasing your exercise time or increasing the intensity level.

It seems to me since you've lost all this weight, your normal exercise routine is burning less calories because you now weigh less. Therefore, in order to lose weight at the same rate as before, you need to do one of two things:

1) Decrease calories (not practical)
2) Increase the number of calories burned.

I don't know if this helps, but it makes sense to me!!! LOL!!!

Good Luck!!! I hope you reach your goal.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Gosh! You've done so well with not that much to lose. I've lost less than you with so much more to lose and only started a few weeks later. I eat about 20-21 carbs and about 1500-1600 caloreis a day. Maybe more water to keep things flushing out of your body. You sound like you are still losing a pound a week so you will be closer to goal regardless.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:16

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Whilst its good to have a "goal" to aim for you should keep in mind the positives - you have lost an awesome amount of weight - and you are probably already at a weight you are much much happier with than when you started.

Also, you are still losing - as much as we hate hearing it - the closer we get to our goal the slower the weight-loss will be.

I would carry on doing what your doing - its obviously working for you - and remain positive with what you have achieved. The last thing you want to feel is that you have somehow "failed"... you haven't.

Also I have read that Atkins is a "corrective diet" - and it will not let you get down lower than your body's natural weight. Which might not be as low as you yourself would like to get down to....
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 10:22

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

also, I read somewhere that after induction you can expect to lose 5% of the weight needed to be lost/month. It does slow down when you get closer to your goal. Maybe if you stayed in the lower end of the calorie range, that might help too?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 10:25

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Hi Lora,

The rate at which we lose weight is at times beyond our control. Some lose much quicker than ours. You have done very well! I am presently losing about 1 lb per week and I still have a lot to lose. I think a fallacy of low carbing is that it is a fast way to lose weight. It is for some people. I settled into my pound a week loss about two months into LCing. Disappointed, maybe a little at first. But overall when you consider weight loss and health, I'm tickled pink. I hope this makes you feel a little better about your situation.

Congrats on the wedding. Relax, you will look great and be complimented by people who haven't seen you in a while. Enjoy it!!

Cheers!

BrewWA