Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/262/170 Female 5'4"
BF:270/261/170
Progress: 8%
Thumbs down Diet Rite

I read several post this weekend, people raving about diet rite because it is made with Splenda etc. So I ran to the store and tried it myself. Of course drinking the diet rite was a wonderful memory but about 2 hours later I had the worst craving for sweets!!!! It got so bad I had to take a shower and go to bed early Has anyone else had this problem with Diet Rite? Guess I better stick to 100% water.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 07:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I haven't had this problem with Diet Rite, but I do with Atkins Bars.

I have read from several sources that something that "tastes" sweet can trigger reactions the same way as something with sugar. It's a conditioned response...kind of like when Pavlov conditioned a dog to salivate at the ringing of a bell.

Do you have this problem with other artificial sweetenersas well?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:08
Registered Member

Stats: 270/262/170 Female 5'4"
BF:270/261/170
Progress: 8%

THis is the first time I have tried an artifical sweetner, I usually drink only water, I haven't tried any protein bars, I have been sticking to meat salad meat salad meat salad meat...and a little cheese every now and then.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:35

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Sweets make my brain crazy!! It says, "MOREMOREMORE!!" I recommend drinking a LOT of water if you are going to have any sweet-tasting stuff, including soda. I could NEVER drink a whole bottle at once.

Jinx

PS I think I was Pavlov's dog in another life. Didn't he have a dog named Jinx?

Last edited by MsJinx : Mon, May-05-03 at 12:37.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 15:05

Stats: 179/167/135
BF:
Progress: 27%

we'll i drink mug diet rootbeer because it has no caffine in it and it helps me get through my craving...
in the south it is bottled and distributed by Pepsi

1 week and already 7 lbs lost
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 15:40

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%
Unhappy Sweets!

I think a lot of us who are doing well on Atkins are here because we were addicted to sweets. I have had so few cravings for sugar I have been feeling really blessed. But the only thing that really triggers that sweet craving for me is having something legal that is sweet. I have some sugar free ice cream at home that I bought 2 weeks ago. I have only had the lid off the container 4 times since I bought it and when I do indulge it is always right before bed.

Your idea of sticking to the meat/salad plan is a lot like mine. I see posts from folks who make all kinds of sweet treats with splenda or SF syrups and I think 'Wow, more power to them - stay away from me!!' I see sweets as one big slippery slope that I need to avoid.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 07:25

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm with Tracy on this one. More power to those who can substitute artificial sweets for real sweets.

Since being on Atkins, my cravings for sweets are under control. In fact, they're almost non-existent. (Unless, of course, your entire family is indulging on chocolate bars in the car and the aroma of chocolate is wafting through the air. That's when I tried my first Atkins bar).

I read of people who eat them three or more times a week. And some people use them as meal substitutes. I'm in a different category. I don't want to trade my old chocolate habit for a new artficial chocolate habit. And I don't like skipping meals-a candy bar (whether sugary or LC) never fills me up.

I don't think I'll be buying many more of the bars. I do, however, keep Diet Rite around, but I only have one ONCE IN A WHILE, and like Tracy I drink it at night so I can sleep through any sugar cravings it may trigger. And I won't allow myself to have one if I haven't met my water quota for the day.

Congrats, Maryeb on your loss!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 07:35

Stats: 340/265/180
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Splenda is Splendid!!

When I first started with this WOL I did not have any bars or any diet rite, etc. I just stuck to induction and that was that. After about four weeks or so that horrible craving for something sweet started. Yea you know those feelings and make you totally uncontrollable and make you rummage in your pantry for a trace of something sugary. Well, I told myself I was going to have to drive out to the health store and get an Atkins bar if I really wanted something. AND I DID!!! I totally stopped my sugar hype in its tracks by faking sugar consumption. My secret is don't buy them in bulk. If you have a totally uncontrollable craving go and buy one. ONLY ONE THOUGH!!! It has always helped for me thank god. I have only done this three or four times in the past three months.

Diet Rite I only tasted about a month ago. It is a great cola substitute if you really miss it. BUT, watch the flatulence after if you drink too much. I would not recomend this drink in HUGE bottles. I find myself drinking the whole thing within 48 hours. It is just a treat I get myself if I had a hard day at work.

Again, my 2cents.

Sunny
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 07:49

Plan: Own Plan w/ Atkins & WW Tips
Stats: 127/122/115 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Sunny72178

I agree with you about only buying ONE Atkins bar at a time and not buying a whole box, which is what I did and I have them around and available which could be my problem. I didn't realize at that time what a problem they were going to be for me. I could bring them to work and leave them on the counter b/c several people here do low-carb of various sorts. However, that would prob. be $30 worth of bars. But hey, $30 might be worth it if it would assist w/ my weight-loss. These are the "Endulge" bars and I have NO BUSINESS with those on Induction!

Then again, there's my problem again...they would be readily available now at work - not home, even worse. Hmmmm, what to do?