Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default Sabotage

- AKA : Public functions where food is provided. These can be SOOOO tough. I am determined to continue to go to social events and maintain my WOE, but it can be really hard. I'm sure many of you have had this problem:

I do watch what I eat - even when others try to unknowingly sabotage me. I was in a curling tournament last saturday and they provided lunch & dinner for us. Lunch was croissant sandwiches. My DH & I just ate the innards & threw the lovely pastries away. This was accompanied by potato salad, potato chips and rice krispy treats. We waited until everyone else had eaten and went back to raid the sandwiches again, so we had 2 helpings of meat, cheese, lettuce & tomato.

Dinner worked out FAR better. They had both grilled chicken and steak with caesar salad and baked potatoes. I just avoided the potato and the ice cream for dessert and ate my fill of protien & salad.

The day had been put together by our curling club as a thank you to those of us who volunteered our time over this past year. We also had three curling matches during the day, so it was a lot of fun.

We are also involved with a couple of theater groups. Three weeks ago we were invited to a 'Gala' that was being put on by our local Gilbert & Sullivan Society. Once again we were invited as guests in appreciation for volunteering our time thoughout the year.They had the event scheduled for 7:00pm on a Saturday. If we had not had advance warning from the planning committee we would have been sunk. My DH warned me that they were serving dessert ONLY. We went out and had a nice LC dinner prior to the event and just said 'No, thank you' when they brought the desserts around. I felt badly for another man at our table who was also invited as a guest and assumed that there would be FOOD. I think the cheesecake was his dinner that evening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 14:23

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I know exactly what you mean. We had an Easter party for the kids at my church this weekend. The menu consisted of hot dogs, chips BBQ beans, cookies, lemonade, and lots of candy. I suggested chicken legs and a veggie plate, but was voted down because 1) the church budget couldn't afford these types of foods, and 2) kids don't eat that stuff anyway.
Even though I was at my own house, I couldn't just disappear and reappear with my own special meal--how rude! I ate a big LC b'fast that morning, but by 2:30 I was hungry. I opted for a hotdog. I ate the bun too because I can't stomach the taste of one without it. Couldn't wait for some grilled chicken and sauteed asparagus after everyone left.

I think you did the right thing by eating a good meal before the desert "gala." I have avoided temptation at movies, monster truck rallies, church meetings, horse shows, and even restaurants by doing the same.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 15:12

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Unhappy

My MIL is constantly sabatoging me!! Every time we go over there, she always tries to force the potatos and dessert on me! She says, "Aw, c'mon- it's one day! Just go back on your little diet tomorrow."

I have imagined putting her in a cement pool. Or perhaps something a little more painful? (totally kidding) Or am I?? (yes, I am kidding!!)

Anyway, it's one of those things we all have to be prepared for.

Have a swell day, everyone!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 16:14

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Ah yes.....The MIL problem. I was down in San Diego the week before last and I spent a night with my MIL down there. I had been telling her for months that I was coming down and gave her the date ~ 15 times. Her sister lives very close to her and I also informed her and her daughter, so they could keep the MIL posted. Besides, I wanted to see them, too. They all know that DH & I have been doing Atkin's since January. I was in the room when she and DH were on the phone discussing what I would possibly be able to eat when I came to visit.
He informed her that any meat was fine and most any veggies - he then launched into a long list.

2 days before I went to see her I called and she said they were planning on taking me out for dinner. Since I had been in a hotel all week, I was actually kinda looking forward to a quiet meal at home, but...I could tell she did not have a clue what to fix. (This from a woman who cooked in restaurants all her adult life). I arrive and they start discussing where to go. They all wanted Italian - but "You won't be able to eat anything!" I assured them that I had been eating out all week and had not had any problems. I made some inquiries regarding the food prep prior to ordering and asked that they make a few adjustments to my meal. The restaurant staff was very accomodating and I ate a lovely and satisfying LC meal.

I think they just like to be difficult.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 17:03
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have found a way to deal with the dessert sabotage - I just tell people that lately sugar makes my stomach hurt too badly - partially true! Anytime I eat it now, I have slight cramps.

As for the bread and other HC stuff, guess my stomach still likes those!