Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 15:51
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 149/145/125
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy Day 2 and SO HUNGRY!

Help!

I'm on my second day of induction and I am so hungry. Did anyone else feel this during induction? Am I doing something wrong? Here is my food today:

b: 2 eggs, 1/2cup salmon, 1/2cup sauteed mushrooms, 1tbsp cream cheese, 2tbsp flax seeds, 1 cup of coffee with 2tbsp cream, water with lemon

l: 1 1/2 oz cheddar cheese, 1/2cup salmon, 1c lettuce, olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/4cup flax seed (worried about constipation!)

mid-afternoon (SO HUNGRY): 4 hard boiled eggs(!), 3 oz. cheddar cheese(!), 1 turnip with olive oil.

I feel like I just binged this afternoon, I was so hungry. Does anyone have any advice about hunger and induction?

I'm worried that eating this much of anything (even protein and fat) will make me GAIN weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 16:08

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Smile Just my thought

Why don't you add some chicken or turkey in there somewhere? They are both low fat also, if that's what you're worried about. I eat 4 times a day, it keeps me satisfied, maybe you should divide it up & eat more often.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 16:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Marisa,

Just keep in mind, you're doing low carb, not low fat---fat is your friend! Take a few minutes and enter your menu in Fitday
http://www.fitday.com I think you'll find that your calories are around 1200--that's why you're hungry.

If you're hungry--eat! Just keep the carbs at 20 for the day. The rule of thumb, believe it or not, is that your calories for the day should be 10 or 12 times your current weight. There several threads in "Hot Links" (in the newbies section) about this.

Good Luck!

judy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 16:17

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

#1 rule of low carb...you should NEVER be hungry! Base your meals around meat and fat...you NEED fat to keep your full..this is NOT low fat..this is NOT low cal...you need to get that outta your head!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 16:46

Stats: 156/146/130
BF:
Progress: 38%

going back to your inital entry - I felt horrible the first couple of days, very dizzy, weak and terribly hungry. but then that passed and I woke up one day feeling great and haven't looked back since. once your body has converted to the LC WOE it'll feel much better. but in the meantime, concentrate on getting enough fat and protein in your diet (check out fitday.com) - the ratios should be about 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs, give or take a little bit. and don't forget to take your vitamins!!

hth, lecstar
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 01:59

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear Marisa,

You should never feel hungry. I keep a pre-roasted chicken in the fridge and tear lumps off it! Also I buy a stick of really fatty salami every week and cut off slices to snack on. If you are hungry just eat and enjoy!

Good luck,

Robert.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 05:18
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 149/145/125
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default thanks all!

thanks for the tips everyone - yes i still have a total diet mentality and am fearful of having full freedom with certain foods (still thinking fat, calories, etc.). i have kept up the fat for the last few days and added more veggies in to my meals. trying hard to keep my carbs under 20! also, haven't given up my coffee yet and that may be a factor in my hunger - i think it always has been. but giving up carbs and coffee at the same time? ugh!

i'm up early to do my tae bo and enjoying my coffee with all of you.

thanks for being here!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 09:13
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

M -

I'm not giving up my coffee either, but it may help to mix one part regular with one part a really good quality decaf...and keep your portions the same, or less if you can. It's not the treat of the coffee (or the wake-up help!) that could be a problem, its that the caffeine affects insulin and may spike some people.

That's only some people though...those of us in denial have no problems with coffee whatsoever.

#9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 11:02

Stats: 231/198/170
BF:
Progress: 54%

Ya know, I've encountered the same thing sometimes. I'll have powered down a ton of stuff, and about an hour later my stomach is growling! I just attributed it to something with low-carbing. My body is burning it off faster because it's attacking the fat and calories(???)?. No clue. Maybe it's body make-up.