Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 12:23

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Lower Back Problem & Tummy Exercises

ANy advice what exercises I can do without straining my lower back to get my abdomen/tummy into shape? This is my only major body problem right now...all other places are slimming and toning nicely (I do upper body exercises). Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 17:58

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Yvonne

I've had the same problem, and currently I dont' do any abdominals. My problem is my neck. even some of the upper body exercises bother it.

I've posted for suggestions and received many, but they pretty much all require additional equipment....or a gym.

I'm planning on joining a gym soon, mainly for the abdominals. In my case, I'll be able to have a (free) personal trainer when I start, so I'm hoping this will work. I know, from years ago, that there's an abdominal machine where you are sitting and bend forward against a bar. I know this won't stress my neck, but not sure about the lower back (I have problems in both areas).

The one home exercise, that I still haven't been able to try, uses the exercise bands. You'd attach them to something then, while sitting bend forward against the bands. Sounds like it'd work, just haven't been able to get the bands to try it.

Maybe send Dan or Fern an PM about this topic?

Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 16:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 198/183/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

I guess you could say this is my area of expertice. First and formost you need to see a Dr to make sure it isn't disc oriented and second you can do abdominal excersizes with out doing crunches.

I had lower back surgery in 1998 for a hurniated L5 and a ruptured L3/4 (yes big ouch).

Get on the floor and do your pelvic tilt (lower back to the floor) hold in your abs and slowly raise leg off the floor about 1 foot off the floor. Lower and repeat with other leg. Do 4-5 reps of 10.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 18:51

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Lower Back Problem & Tummy Exercises

Quote:
Originally posted by yvonne326
ANy advice what exercises I can do without straining my lower back to get my abdomen/tummy into shape? This is my only major body problem right now...all other places are slimming and toning nicely (I do upper body exercises). Suggestions?

Floor crunches when done correctly do not engage the back muscles, but do work your abs out. The trick to floor crunches is concentrating on contracting the abs to lift your neck and shoulders off the floor. (Note: you do not lift your entire shoulderblade area off the floor) You also do not use your arms to pull your upper body up. Check out some exercise sites for floor crunches for the proper position.

I would not recommend floor crunches for someone with neck or upper back problems.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 18:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 198/183/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

That is why I recommended the leg lifts so as not to aggrevate the neck and upper back. My physical therapist for back surgery taught me that. And pelvic tilt is always good on any floor excersize because you want a neutral back.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 09:11

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by MKGretchen
That is why I recommended the leg lifts so as not to aggrevate the neck and upper back.

MK I know

I wanted to make sure Cindy knew I wasn't recommending floor crunches for her, only for Yvonne.

Sorry for the confusion.