Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 15:20

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%
Default My biggest carbup ever

I'm not bragging... my friends thought it was kind of funny and when I posted it on the lowcarb mailing list, people were entertained also. Nor am I suggesting that anyone tries something like this (I'm not responsible for people's stomach's exploding ) but anyway, here goes...

Last weekend (7/27-7/28) I must have been feeling sympathetic with the trapped miners starving in Pennsylvania :

6 lbs of smarties: 2700 grams of carbs, 10800 calories
ca. 8 protein shakes: 800 grams of protein, 3200 calories
canned chicken: 8 cans, 200 grams of protein, 1000 calories
peanut butter: 3/4 of jar, 180 grams of fat, 100 grams of protein, 2400 calories
wine: 1-1/2 bottles - using USDA's value of 75 cal/glass, that's 450 calories.

Total: about 18000 calories!

Weight:
Saturday before starting: 181
Monday: 189
Tuesday: 185
Wednesday: 182

Today (a week after the monster eating fest) I was back to 181 again. This weekend I'm keeping it to 4lbs of smarties though - my regular

I took a picture on Monday afternoon - still a little bit of water retention left, but otherwise this is the most glycogen-loaded I've ever been:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/f699...cC_7b9A_NSsPZDJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 16:16

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default wow!

18,000 cals. LOL.

I LIKE IT!!

Looks like you are getting great results. Thanks for sharing your crazy carb-up with us.

How were your workouts after you were fully loaded? I bet you felt like you could lift the gym ... LOL ...

Keep us posted. How long into your cycle are you, and how long are you running it?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: L/C, personal plan
Stats: 240/155/148 Female 66.5
BF:23.5%
Progress: 92%
Default Oh my gosh!

I am amazed!

That was some carb up -

PS: Nice picture. Your body looks really cut - Thanks for showing it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 15:57

Default Re: wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
18,000 cals. LOL.

I LIKE IT!!

Looks like you are getting great results. Thanks for sharing your crazy carb-up with us.

How were your workouts after you were fully loaded? I bet you felt like you could lift the gym ... LOL ...

Keep us posted. How long into your cycle are you, and how long are you running it?

Well it's Sunday afternoon by now and I'm through 5 lbs of smarties again, but I've eaten less other stuff and I think I'm done!

After I was loaded like this I was, of course, stronger. Right now I am training by running and calisthenics (military style, I guess), so I can't point to pounds-increases. Definitely could tell that muscles were fuller, shorter, and less stretcheable - makes for some monster back and neck cracking!

I discovered lowcarbing in 1997, it's been a lifestyle for me ever since, and every once in a while I launch a full-on CKD attack. The current one has been going on since January with a few weeks off, and is more or less in maintenance mode.

P.S. Thanks, Chantel!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 06:03

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

WTG!! You look great! And you are very brave-- 6 lbs of smarties! I eat one of those little packages and i am on a sugar high!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 07:07

Stats: 192/185/180
BF:16%/10.22%/8%
Progress: 58%

Aren't smarties like M&M's ? Or am I thinking of something else. At least when I was living in South Africa and Holland, Smarties were like M&M's - and thus wouldn't that be too much fat?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 07:14
Registered Member

Plan: PP/now CKD
Stats: 212/132/125
BF:?%/21%/18%

Those are English Smarties you're thinking of! American Smarties are a whole different thing--just pure sugar, really! Sort of like Sweet Tarts.

I much prefer the English kind! I could almost see eating 6 lbs of those--haha.

Fernie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 08:08

Stats: 192/185/180
BF:16%/10.22%/8%
Progress: 58%

West - how about it? Next weekend carbup - 6 lbs of ENGLISH smarties!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 13:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Pasoa2000
West - how about it? Next weekend carbup - 6 lbs of ENGLISH smarties!

The earth may crack when I try to walk on it afterwards!

Yes, those were American smarties, made in Canada though - reading this off the empty bag left over from this past weekend - www.smarties.com

They ARE pure sugar! Not just any sugar though but dextrose - a glucose polymer. Breaks down to glucose very quickly and is absorbed by the muscles, requiring no processing in the liver, that's why I've chosen it. Maltodextrin works just as well, to be found in Sweet Tarts - another something found in the candy isle, but I like the taste of smarties better.

I used to carb with Myoplex or Met-Rx and realized that a) it has way too much salt, and b) if I get a simple no-frills protein powder and eat smarties on top of that, I'll save... oh, about $50 a weekend! Made the switch and realized just how much that salt had been screwing me up. In fact, I also realized that the reason why in the past I could not sustain more than 4-5 weeks of CKD in a row was because I was cutting carbups way too short - being freaked out by the water retention from the salt, I was not eating enough carbs.

The reason why English smarties would inflate me like a balloon is, I imagine, the saturated fat in the chocolate. To me that's been another reason why I used to dread carbups - Monday mornings I'd be bloated to all hell.

I'm not inviting anyone to compete in a smarties-eating contest, but if you are having problems with water retention and fat regain during carbups, check for the type of carbs you're eating, the salt, and the sat fat. I definitely stay away from fructose and sucrose.

This past weekend I ate 5 lbs and actually went for a run on Sunday night!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 17:13

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default hmmmm

I'll have to check the label on Skittles this week ... I am at the tail end of my latest CKD cycle, and a monster carb-up is in order I suppose. LOL.

I can't handle sweet tarts/smarties. I get a headache just thinking about eating 6 lbs. of them! LOL.

Again, nice work West!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 19:57

Thanks, Dan! My real name is Alex, by the way.

I originally got sweet tarts with the idea to put them into protein shakes as a source of maltodextrin, but found them to my liking. Maybe you can try that...

I heard that some supplement retailers on the web were selling maltodextrin or dextrose in bulk. Walgreens is around the corner though!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 20:51
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

I hate 'smarties' (and 'Sweet Tarts' as of late). I'll take my 'Entenmanns Fat Free Danish' and 'Healthy Choice Ice-Cream' thank you very much.

P.S.- Nice pic; I hate you (it's a jealously thing).
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 06:34
Registered Member

Plan: PP/now CKD
Stats: 212/132/125
BF:?%/21%/18%

I love your honesty, Zeus! I thought we women were the only ones who "hated" each other because of jealousy. I'm glad to see that you guys are every bit as shallow!

Fernie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 16:37
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
I love your honesty, Zeus! I thought we women were the only ones who "hated" each other because of jealousy. I'm glad to see that you guys are every bit as shallow!

-Well, I'm one of the few men (on this Earth) ... who are whiny/bitchy enough to tell the truth.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 17:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus

-Well, I'm one of the few men (on this Earth) ...

You mean, Mount Olympus?