Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0
BF:
Progress:
Question Some questions: coconut oil, davinci, pork rinds

Hi! I have been looking for the answers to several questions I came up with in my new cooking endeavors using the search feature, but I haven't come up with solid answers.... so, I figured I might list them here and perhaps get some answers!

1. Coconut oil - I have been reading a lot of posts lauding coconut oil, but I was wondering - what are the benefits, what does it taste like ( I love coconut), what do you use it in??

2. Is there a secret to using the davinci syrups in coffee? I have been trying to get the mix right for five days now, and I just can't seem to do it. I used to use 2 splendas (its a big mug) 2 tbsp of creamer and coffee. This morning using sf Vanilla Davinci and 1 tbsp cream a creepy film (like algae on a pond) formed on top of my coffee... gross!

3. Last but not least - pork rinds... does anyone know of a place in the US - east coast- that sells pork rinds that are store brand, or cheaper than 2.25 a bag?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/243/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Coconut oil - This is from thecoconutdiet.com

The Research

So how do people in the tropics do it? How can people on traditional diets consume so much saturated fat and remain slim and healthy?

Researchers have known for quite some time that the secret to health and weight loss associated with coconut oil is related to the length of the fatty acid chains contained in coconut oil. Coconut oil contains what are called medium chain fatty acids, or medium chain triglycerides (MCTs for short). These medium chain fatty acids are different from the common longer chain fatty acids found in other plant-based oils. Most vegetable oils are composed of longer chain fatty acids, or triglycerides (LCTs). LCTs are typically stored in the body as fat, while MCTs are burned for energy. MCTs burn up quickly in the body. They are a lot like adding kindling to a fireplace, rather than a big damp log.

Coconut oil is nature’s richest source of MCTs. Not only do MCTs raise the body’s metabolism leading to weight loss, but they have special health-giving properties as well. The most predominant MCT in coconut oil, for example, is lauric acid. Lipid researcher Dr. Jon Kabara states “Never before in the history of man is it so important to emphasize the value of Lauric Oils. The medium-chain fats in coconut oil are similar to fats in mother’s milk and have similar nutriceutical effects. These health effects were recognized centuries ago in Ayurvedic medicine. Modern research has now found a common link between these two natural health products----their fat or lipid content. The medium chain fatty acids and monoglycerides found primarily in coconut oil and mother’s milk have miraculous healing power.”5 Outside of a human mother’s breast milk, coconut oil is nature’s most abundant source of lauric acid and medium chain fatty acids.
Much of the recent research done on coconut oil and lauric acid, the most predominant fatty acid chain found in coconut oil, has centered around the anti-microbial and anti-viral properties of this unique fatty acid. Today, many strains of bacteria are becoming resistant to antibiotics, and antibiotics are generally ineffective in treating virus infections. When lauric acid is consumed in the diet, either in human breast milk or in coconut oil, lauric acid forms a monoglyceride called monolaurin, which has been shown to destroy several bacteria and viruses, including listeria monocytogenes and helicobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some of the viruses that have been destroyed by monolaurin include HIV, measles, herpes simplex virus-1, vesicular stomatitis virus, influenza and cytomegalovirus.6 There is also evidence now that the MCTs in coconut oil kill yeast infections, such as Candida.7

You can use it to make coconut bark, just do a recipe search and you'll turn up lots of variations. Some people put it in their coffee, though it does make an oil puddle on the surface. People cook with it, etc. Different coconut oils taste different. There's virgin, expressed...all different kinds. I have some coconut oil that doesn't taste like anything and I have some that tastes like coconut. The LouAna brand doesn't have any flavor that I've noticed.

I've never had that problem with the SF syrups. Can't help you there.

I get my rinds in a big container at Sam's Club. I live in central Texas, so I can't help you there, but if you have a Sam's or Costco, I'd check there!

Best of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0
BF:
Progress:

Thanks!! I made the C. Bark... its a good treat! Will look harder at Costco for the rinds!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 12:04

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Coconut oil by itself doesn't taste great; however, it is okay in coconut bark. My biggest thing with coconut oil is that if I try to work it into my diet, I just feel oily....

I avoid pork rinds. I don't like the flavor or the salt. I know a lot of people who love them for crunch. I like almonds for crunch. I found some almonds made by Emerald - cocoa roast almonds - that combine my chocolate jones and the crunch. Six grams of carbs per ounce.

I love DaVincis. I use the orange flavored syrup in a lot of recipes for things.