Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 05:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/160/126 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 19%
Unhappy Ok...this is embarrassing....

This is REALLY embarrassing but the thing is...I'm on day 5 and I'm...ahem...bunged up ...ahem. I haven't been too the loo properly for two whole days and this is the 3rd day and still nothing!

So I'm now starting to worry about my fibre inake...how do I get more? I'm also cutting out eggs for a couple of days since I've ate about 9 in 4 days!!!!

Getting worried again...surely this can't be natural?...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 05:49
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

OK...don't panic. This problem, or the "other" problem (where you can't stop going!) are very common any time someone makes a radical shift in their diet. Part of it is the new regime, and part of it might just be a shock to the body.

I was one of those who couldn't stay off the loo during the first two weeks, but eventually that settled down. Thankfully. If I were in your position, though, I would drink tons of water along with a cup or two of very strong coffee, in order to provide, um, stimulation. I know coffee isn't on the Atkins list, but think of it as medicinal purposes. If that didn't work I might try a herbal laxative tomorrow, and if that didn't work I might break down and see the GP to get a proper suppository (although in this country I might not tell him/her that I was doing Atkins).

It will pass, you just need to find some way to get over this hump, as it were. And afterwards, make absolutely sure you're getting at least the recommended amounts of salad and veggies per day. It will help.

All the best with it~

Emily
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:01
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Emily gave you excelt advice! Hard to add on from there. I just wanted to add that I too hard this problem. Now months later everything runs normal again. Took a couple of months to get there though.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:10

BF:

Thank you both! I had a cup of coffee today (wasn't very strong though cos I hate coffee!) But if it's gonna get things moving again I'll suffer it!

Thanks for the great advice! At least I now know I'm not alone!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:12

BF:

Ooh!!! Just noticed I got a chicken dumstick too!!! See, I told you I was stopping the eggs for a while!!! LOL
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 232/209/155 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

You also need to eat 2-3 cups of vegetbles that are high in fiber - each day. That gives you some of the fibers that you need. There are also supplements that you can take that are natural to go along with this - if you need to. They are a bit expensive, but I've found all I need in the right foods. Have you read Atkins Revolution book? That goes into a long explanation as well, and will help you along the way.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:53

BF:

Hi Sasigal!

I've read so far into my Atkins new revolution book, pretty much up to induction and then scimmed bits after it....need to read it all properly still.

How do I know what veg has lots of fibre?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 07:10

Plan: My Own Thing
Stats: 299/222.5/160 Female 5'10"
BF:EEK!
Progress: 55%

I understand where you are coming from Kelly.

It was worrying me too, so I decided to start taking a stool softener every day. My sister is an RN, and since our family has a history of colon cancer, she said it's a good idea that I take one anyhow. I drink PLENTY of water, and I agree with the above comments about drinking coffee. If I get, ahem, constipated, I also drink an herbal tea called "Smooth Moves"....and IT DOES MOVE YOU!! (Drink it at night though) (and it doesn't taste half bad...and I am from the south where the only tea is iced tea that has 2 cups of sugar per gallon!!)

Just to give you a heads up (not to scare you) When I "finally" went, it was extremely painful...which is another reason I am taking the stool softener.

(*chuckle...you know 20 years ago...I wouldn't have been caught dead talking about this subject!!)

Hope this helps!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 07:17

BF:

Thank you Beachdream! I think I'll try a stool softener, that sounds like a great idea.

Thanks to all of you for your help in this delicate matter!! Believe me, I didn't think I'd ever be talking about this sort of thing either! LOL!

Thankfully the movement has begun so I'm not worried anymore!!! LOL

And it's all thanks to you lot! You're stars! The lot of ya!!! xxx
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:00

Stats: 170/147/145 Female 5ft 9
BF:have no clue
Progress: 92%
Default Fiber

Before I started Atkins the carbs I took in, which was A LOT, backed me up every few days. It was miserable. Not to mention I always looked bloated. The first few days on Atkins were just as awful. *even though I have just officially started Induction I was limiting my carbs just not being hard core* I took some corn husks daily *dont take with multivitamin* and taking 2-3 tablespoons or some times more of flax seed oil. The omegas in it are great for you as well. Since then I have not had a problem. Let me know how things are going. I will try to remember what else I took. I am reading Atkins Vita Nutrients book and learning a lot. My pocketbook is draining however. I am a firm believer now in the importance of supplements.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 21:51

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 249/224/175 Female 5feet 9 inches
BF:31
Progress: 34%

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour...?Owner=dutchie1
How did I do today? I just would like feedback..
Thanks in advance..Marion
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 05:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 232/209/155 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Aww - it had already changed over to the new day before I got a chance to see it. Try again today
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 06:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 307.3/293.0/185 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi marion,

Does it make you feel good or are you loosing with it or both? Are you pining for food? How are your BMs? How does your body feel?

For me looking at it the only thing i would watch is the low-caloric intake. Reading articles on atkins.com states that you can have more calories than a low-fat diet.

So I would just say be careful that your body doesn't start to think it is starving itself.

If your bms are fine I wouldn't worry about the fiber. If you are having trouble add in some fiber like a romaine salad or raw brocolli (good for scrubbing out your intestinants).

That is the only thing. Otherwise, awesome!

Many blessings,

Sacred
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 06:37

BF:

Wow! I didn't even know you could eat raw broccoli!! Not a huge fan of the stuff but could give it a try.

I haven't eaten any chocolate at all ( good girl on induction! )

And my cheese intake is small due to yeast troubles.

Thanks for the advice though sacred. Think I might try the linseed oil too. although, everything seems to be in good working order now
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 06:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 307.3/293.0/185 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 12%

Glad to hear everything is good to go now.

Yeah the atkin bars have chocolate that is the only reason I brought chocolate up. Same with the shakes. Not meaning to imply you were not a good girl

Good luck to you!

Many blessings,

sacred