Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 22:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303/287/190 Female 5'5.5"(65.5")(166.5 cm)
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Treadmill--is faster or steeper better?

I'm pretty new to a treadmill--we bought one so I can work out at home and I've used it for a week. I love it and have been experimenting with walking faster versus upping the incline, in which case I can't cover as much ground in 30 minutes but I really feel it in my outer thighs and rear end. So, what is best for weight loss? For generall fitness and health?
Also, when walking on the incline, what about posture? I try to walk as upright as possible; is that good? Or should I be leaning forward?
Another thing, that may sound silly, but this is a cheap machine from WalMart; it cost $400, and I've read at the Treadmill Doctor that anything under about $1200 is no good, but this is what we could afford right now. Anyway, I want to get as much as possible out of it, and wonder if cranking up the incline wears a treadmill out faster than walking on the level? If this machine just lasts a year of daily walking, I'll be delighted. I can't make it to the gym daily, and most of the year it's too hot outside to walk, so this seemed the best option.
Thanks in advance for opinions and experiences,
persimmon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 07:25
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Persimmon:

I'm no expert on treadmills, but I can share my own experiences with you. Personally, I find that workouts on the incline are not as taxing on my joints. If I run on a level treadmill, my knees hurt me whereas I can run on a steep incline without any pain.

I prefer the incline as well b/c it adds resistance work into my routine as well as getting up my heart rate. Building muscle is ALWAYS good. If you aren't doing weight work, I would consider workouts with the incline or a combination.

Quote:
wonder if cranking up the incline wears a treadmill out faster than walking on the level?

I can't really answer your question about your treadmill's incline. I know mine is a pretty good quality treadmill and I've had no problem with the incline wearing it down (and I run on the highest incline). I would assume your treadmill is under warranty so making a treadmill that breaks down from normal use wouldn't make much sense. Probably the best people to pose this question to is the manufacturers of the treadmill.

Hope some of this helps,
Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 20:09

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

I prefer a steep incline too. Gets my heart rate up, my knees don't scream, and incline work is good for the glutes.

I don't have to go over 4.0 mph ... but at 10 - 12% incline I start sweating at 10 minutes. LOL.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 21:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

I hae been wondering the same thing for so long. I bought my treadmill at walmart and use it almost everyday and I havent had any problems with it. I did however buy a lemon and had to return it. I bought the cheaper one too. I run on mine and it hasnt seemed to hurt it any.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 13:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Living in a cold climate I spend a lot of time on a treadmill. A cheap one will last longer if you keep it at 5% or better grade. At steeper inclines you are working more of the thigh and calf muscles. The general theory is to go as fast as you can but still be able to hold a conversation. That puts you in the fat-burning zone.

Another theory is to run as fast as you can. That put you in the anerobic zone where you are burning mostly carbs. But by depleting the body of carbs you are forcing more fat-burning the rest of the day. Also running at top speed stimulates Growth Hormone which speeds fat loss.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 15:42

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

My treadmill has a warranty, I got it at Sears, I have it serviced once a year. Stand as straight as you can, don't lean on the treadmill, some people do have to hold on to the bars on the sides though. It takes getting used to.

I find doing incline is more effective than just going as fast as you can. You do want to walk fast, as someone posted above, to the point where you'd have trouble carrying on conversation, but not panting or about to have a heart attack.

When I do cardio (note I say WHEN ) I raise the incline by two each minute. When I get to the max incline at the end of the fourth minute, I bring it down all the way and run for a minute with the speed on 6 or 7. Then I do it three more times, 20 minutes total. Incline also works your butt. I gotta get my butt on the treadmill at least once this week...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 01:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207.4/198.0/165 Male 64"
BF:39%/39%/29%
Progress: 22%
Default Faster or Steeper.

From what I understand, you're better off if you increase elevation and not speed.

Dakota Duce
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 15:58
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%

More expensive treadmills are better because....
They have a bigger and better motor, so it will maintain the speed you set better.
The belt is longer and wider so it is easier and safer to run on.
There is more cushioning in the frame (without being bouncy) so it is easier on your joints when running.
They are built stronger, to stand up to more use/abuse

This does not mean that a less expensive model will not work just fine in your home.
However, a low cost model would never stand up to the daily abuse that it would see in a Health Club.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 16:54

Plan: GI/Atkins
Stats: 280/262/210 Male 6 feet
BF:yup - found it
Progress: 26%
Wink

raise the incline and go for a sculptered look