Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/148/134 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default high blood sugar

I recently had my yearly physical and for the first time in my life I have rather high blood sugar! Has anyone found it difficult to loose weight when you have a high blood sugar count?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 09:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Medications for blood sugar can cause a stall -- one of the best one to take if you must is glucophage. But I think if you stay on plan with the eating you won't need to do that.

If you are going to work on controlling your blood sugars with diet, the low carbing works wonderfully. You should see a difference within the first day or so and a big difference in a week, plus you won't feel the afternoon slump from having large amounts of carbs for breakfast and lunch.

You need to get in the practice of checking your blood sugar and recording it so you can see the comparison, then especially on your follow up doctor's visit they will know you are making progress.

I would suggest taking it first thing in the morning before you eat anything, then an hour and two hours after eating. Before each meal and then again an hour and two after. Anytime you feel off, if you feel weak or shaky sometimes it is too low, sleepy or fatigue is when mine is high.

After you get a feel for what it is doing I check mine first thing in the morning and then alternate -- one day before lunch, next before dinner, next bedtime, next after lunch, and so on. But again anytime you feel different or off check it.

Spread your carbs out throughout the day and make sure those carbs are from vegetables and eggs. Watch your cheese and cream intake and keep it to the allowable amount.

Coffee can raise some peoples bs, so if it's high at lunch you may want to consider limiting your coffee.

On your return to your doctor you may also want to emphasize what you are eating instead of what you are not. I tell mine I have much better control when I watch my carb intake and limit it to vegetables and such. She doesn't like the fat, but I assure her I get my fats from olive oil and such. Your blood work will show you and your doctor how you are doing.

Also I would encourage you to measure with a tape measure. I lose weight very slowly but build muscle quickly, so my pounds won't move, but I lose inches. I would measure every week or two or pick out a favorite pair of jeans or such to measure your progress that way.

Let us know how you are doing.

Debi
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 12:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default high blood sugar

Did you have a test of your fasting blood sugar? What was your number? If your fasting blood sugar is over 126, that is considered diabetic. What did your doctor say? This is not something to let pass.
I had my blood sugar tested after being on low carb for about 9 months. It showed that I am diabetic. I continued with low carb and my doctor also added metformin (generic glucophage) which helps to alleviate insulin resistance.
If your blood sugar is high that means you either don't make insulin (unlikely) or you are making lots of insulin and it is just not reducing your BG. Your body keeps making more and more insulin and your body becomes resistant to it. Insulin causes your body to store fat and makes it extremely difficult to lose weight.
In diabetics (and probably "normal" people) your blood sugar can continue to rise (causing an increase in insulin) until you eat breakfast - a good reason for everyone to eat breakfast.
One blood sugar test on its own doesn't tell the whole story, so you should have another test or, better yet, request a HbA1c test that will give you an average BG for several weeks. It does not have to be done fasting.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 07:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default high blood sugar

Thank you for the replys
Yes I have had 2 fasting blood sugars done and my results were both high, 6.6 and 6.1( canadian numbers, 7 and over is diabetic.) I started low carb 5 years ago and lost all the weight I wanted. Then last summer I started to gain and have been stricktly following atkins induction levels ever since. I have lost ONLY 10 lbs and really have felt totally discouraged. I am now wondering if the high blood sugar is affecting my slow loss and I'm wondering what I can do to help.I have cut cheese almost totaly out of my diet and have very little cream. I dont consume any caffine at all. Why are these things something that affects bs?My Dr. so far thinks I should be able to controll my bs through diet. I am also really wondering why all of a sudden I've developed high blood sugar when I havent consumed sugar products or any high carbs for almost 5 years??? I walk everyday and just dont feel like my lifestyle would lead to this. There is no diabetes in my family!
thanks again for your ideas nopie and debi. This is new to me but perhaps has given me a reason for this struggle!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 07:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I know how frustrating it can be. Last year I struggled with my sugars the entire year. I had spine surgery in December and now am doing much better on the sugar front.

My doctor was telling me that pain, stress, and any type of infection makes your body pump more steroids and that increases your blood sugar.

I got to the point of eating chicken and broccoli a lot and tons of water. It helped me to lower my sugars to where I could have the surgery.

I think if you checked your blood sugars throughout the day you may see a clue as to what is going on -- make note of how you feel physically, do you have a headache, not feel well, stressed? Check before and then an hour and two after a meal to see how that meal affects you -- if it's a packaged food there could be added sugar in it or added carbs. When I don't feel well my body is so much more sensitive to everything I eat.

If you'd like to post what you are eating that may help us to see something you may not.

You may want to try to eat food in its most natural state and see how that does. By that I mean fresh vegetables and meats, not sausages, bacons or luncheon meats and little to no cheese and see how your body reacts to that.

Also drink lots of water, that helps me a lot.

Let us know how you're doing.

Debi
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 16:59
Registered Member

BF:
Default better news

I saw my obgyn this morning as my gp wanted another opinion. I am now scheduled to have a hysterectomy......as I am full of fibriods. He also feel this is probably contributing to my weight issues...the crazy hormones I mean. Also my last blood sugar was 5.8 and he feels this is not a concern. I was very happy to hear that! I will always continue to eat low carb and I really do feel that had I not been eating low carb with all my problems I would have been worse off. So now I play the waiting game until I get my surgery date. Anywhere from 48 hours to 4 months.
Thanks again for the help.