Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Fair Food????

Tomorrow we are taking the grandchildren to the fair. We will be there from ~3:00 until 11:00 p.m. (it's 'armband' day -- cheap rides for the kids).

I will need to eat there, and I was trying to think of what fits into low carb plans. I doubt that I'll find a salad there (or any other veggies that aren't battered and deep fried), so I can eat my veggies for breakfast and lunch.

I know burgers w/o the bun are o.k., and they have things like steak sandwiches, might find grilled chicken. But what about something like a gyro w/o the bread? I believe they have some veggies on them, so it sounds a bit better -- meat and veggies. But, I think they put a sauce on them -- does anyone know what's in the sauce and if it's bad (high carbs)? Or, does anyone else have any suggesions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 07:20

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

hello I love fair foods... i plan on going to the fair this october when it comes around... I would probaly eat a vegie before i headed out to the fair and when you get there try a hamburger with out the bun or the famous italian sausage with pepers and onions with out the bun... i dont know much about gyro's... my problem is i have to give up the elephant ears with powdered sugar... but thats alright... I wish you luck at the fair this year... you can do it... were rooting for you ....

Tammy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 10:33

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 268/244/180
BF:
Progress: 27%

Gyro meat in general is fine, its just ground lamb and spices. The sauce can vary wildly, depending on the ingredients. Some are made with sour cream, some with yogert. Lots of other stuff. I would stay away from the sauce, I eat the meat all the time.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 10:39

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

If it were me, I would have a double protein shake and abstain from the fair foods. I wouldn't trust them.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 10:50

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

sounds good on the gyro meat then.... thanks... have some gryo meat or hamburger and enjoy your fun pg... i cant wait till the fair is in town here....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 11:09

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Russmore & Tammy -- thanks for your help. I will stay away from the sauce & I'll check out the sausage & peppers. Believe it or not, I'm not too much of a sweets fan, so staying away from the funnel cakes, etc. should not be a problem. The things I'll miss are corn dogs and deep fried cheese curds, but I can eat hot dogs w/o the bun and fresh cheese curds that are not breaded or fried, so I'll be fine.

Dark Lotus -- I did consider not eating, but 8 to 10 hours is a long time to walk around and watch everyone else eat, so I just wanted to plan ahead to when I am hungry so I won't be tempted to eat something bad. I am also leary of the fair food, but there are a lot of church and non-profit food stands that are probably much better than the carney ones.

Thanks again for your help.

Peg
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 400/343.4/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

A gyro is traditionally made with tzatziki sauce, a cucumber sauce made with sour cream or yogurt.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 12:05

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Gyros

I love gyros and still eat them about once a week...sans bread, of course!

Sometimes I even eat 2. The place that I buy mine also has chicken ka-bobs, so I eat like I king when I go there.

Eat meat. Avoid sugars and flours. Enjoy the fair and the day with the grandkids!

Donald
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

In Texas, they sell huge smoked turkey legs and sausage on a stick. God really did bless Texas