Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 17:01

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%
Wink Can I use these things with SBD?

Hi-
I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about phase one-Do you know can I use honey or djonmustard. I usually make a marinade for salmon with this-yummy I also was wondering about low fat sour cream is that okay to use? I also couldn't find fat-free or low fat string cheese is regular okay? Looking for some help-Okay got to run to gym!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 20:45

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much

The whole idea around Atkins is to use the full-fat versions of string cheese or sour cream. Use the real stuff, tastes much better

LL
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 04:58

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

For me I always go with the low-fat sour cream and cream cheese and mayo. I don't like the taste so much of the completely fat free stuff. I know you are suppossed to use low-fat cheese too but it depends on cheese for me. Ricotta I use low-fat, cheddar and colby jack I always buy regular, mozzarrella I buy the part-skim most the time although I do by the fat free cheese sticks for snacks when I can find them.(super walmart usually carries some) I also buy the laughing cow cheese which is wonderful wonderful low-fat stuff! It's hard to find but worth spending a little extra when you do find it because it doesn't taste low-fat at all. Super walmart also carries immitation honey in the same isle with the regular honey. You can't tell a difference really (unless you are used to using a good honey) I think it's 1.67 or so for a regular sized container so it's not gonna cost you an arm and a leg either. It is full of sugar alcohols which are generally best to avoid but for a treat I would go right ahead personally. I am actually going to make honey-mustard chicken with it for my family tonight. Anyways best of luck to you.

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 06:30

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Wink Thanks again Jen :)

Thanks again I appreciate all the help :P
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 09:58

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default atkins or SBD? cheeses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLucy
The whole idea around Atkins is to use the full-fat versions of string cheese or sour cream. Use the real stuff, tastes much better

LL

That advice is fine if you are doing Atkins but you posted on SBD forum and indicate that you are now doing SBD. It is the wrong advice if you follow the higher carbs of SBD. It should be obvious that a combination of the higher carb of SBD with the higher fat of Atkins WILL NOT work - you can't have it both ways. I think Lucy didn't realize you were doing SBD not Atkins.

In phase 1, you are supposed to limit dairy as well. Low fat string cheese is often called part skim mozzarella - that is ok, and you should find it (Spartan/Busch has it for sure). All cheeses consider 1 oz (28 g) a portion, and I look for 80 cal/45 from fat or below (best I have found so far is 70/30, but most part skim Mozzarella is 80/40 or 80/45). The book says no fat or 1%, and I am ok on 2% but I would NOT use full fat sour creme, and all our stores carry no fat versions of sour creme. The only full fat I use is occasionally is Mayo because nearly all low fat Mayo has sugar and I and the book consider sugar worse than fat. I only found one low fat and low carb mayo (Hellmans' Just 2 good with less than 1 g sugar but also low) - when I can't get that I use regular.

I would NOT use honey mustard. I love mustard, and I would use the same recipe as you have it with regular mustard and add a pinch of splenda or other artificial sweetener if you need the slightly sweet taste.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 08:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'd stay away from the honey. Remember the whole point is to detox and get sugars out of your diet. Honey is pure dextrose. The dijon should be ok though.