Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 21:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 172/165/155 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 41%
Angry Flatulence And Lc Candy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always had a sweet tooth so I eat the sugarless candy. If I eat to much I feel gasy /bloated . It takes about 3 hours until it hits me but then WOW I feel crappy. Are these bad for you or am I maybe allergic to the Malitol and other sugar alcohols. Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 21:22

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

I also have a mean sweet tooth!!
But I found that if I eat too many I will feel it later.. especially if it has the sugar alchol. bloated, gassy, and that lovely laxitive effect
So I find sweets with the smallest amounts and really limit myself!!
But sometimes if I am really snacky I just go for it and pay for it later hehe
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 21:27

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

the Zcarb bars don't bother me as much (erythritol i think?) but most sugarfree candy has me either running to the bathroom or has my friends running out of the room hehe
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 22:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

I too get horrible gas from suger free candy. it is really bad if i eat brovcoli on the same night.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 22:36

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

The only sf sweet that affects me is ice cream (don't know why) but it's ridiculous the gas I get from it I just had it for the first time since I started (Dec 1st) and, yep, it affected me the same as it did last time (last spring)....so, won't have it with company around, anyway
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 22:53

Plan: general
Stats: 210/157/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:alot
Progress: 59%

All the sugar alcohols give me that "feeling" but sometimes when you really want something sweet it seems that a little digestive upset is much better than feeling guilty about cheating and all the things that go along with that. I don't eat that sugar alcohol stuff much - I just save it for when I want to fall of the wagon!!! :-)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 23:35

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

You know what I did that fixed this? (I'm so bad, contributing to the delinquency of LCers!) I had these totally yummy LC treats that made me...uncomfortable, so I took to drinking a full glass of water with 2 tsp. of psyllium right after eating the treat. Served the purpose of heading off the discomfort AND clearing the sweetness out of my palate (so I didn't crave more). You wouldn't believe what a difference it made!

Not only did I increase my fibre intake for the day, I felt GREAT!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 23:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They really should rewrite their warning on sugar alcohol labels... Warning: May be laxitive in effective and WILL cause massive flatulence!

And then give you one of those international symbols for flammable for you to wear on the seat of your pants after you've consumed some.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 23:53

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

the only sugar free candy i have problems with are the sugar free hard candies fruit flavored... they KILL my stomache, no gas, but killer cramps and the laxative effect will kill ya... tooo bad the things taste sooo yummy... ( warning do not buy these for your sunday hard candy while your in church b/c by the time you get out your gut will be hurting soo bad you'll be in tears ... believe me i learned this the HARD way)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 06:59
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

The warning label should read," EAT in well ventilated area."
LMAO
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I don't eat LC candy or chocolate because it tips me out of ketosis very quickly. It only took one bar to prove that to me.

But if I did and it caused so much pain, bloating and discomfort, I really don't think it would be worth it. I'd rather eat some cream cheese or cream sweetened with splenda.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:35

Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 286%

(((I don't eat LC candy or chocolate because it tips me out of ketosis very quickly.))))

What does that mean? What happens if you go out of ketosis? Doyou gain or something??
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/carb cycling
Stats: 216.5/211/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I think you need to read the book Jenijeni. I know it seems like a dauting task but it will help you understand the terms better. Ketosis is the fat burning state achieved through a low carb diet. Atkins is one of the few low carb diets, from my understanding, where ketosis is achieved due to the very low carb count required during the induction phase. As you get into OWL and increase carbs, your level of ketosis starts to go down as well. However, this does not mean that you are no longer losing lbs, or inches.

I try to stay at very low inductuion level carbs as I have a lot to lose and it should come off quicker according to Atkins by doing it this way. I increase my carbs on day that I am exercising. However, I have noticed that sugar alcohols without a combined fiber intake throw me out of ketosis as well...even if my carb count is down.

However, I have found sugar free granola that has sugar alcohol in it, but due to the fiber count (4 grams), it doesn't impact me.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:50

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

The whole point of Atkins is, it's a ketogenic diet. That is, the object is to eat a low enough carb count to put your body into ketosis or fat burning mode. Normally with carbs we burn glycogen and what we can't burn we store as fat.

So when I eat sugar alcohols, I get tipped out of ketosis and it takes me a few days to get back. This doesn't happen to everyone. Some eat them happily with no effects. Others get insulin spikes from them even though it's claimed they should have no effect on insulin levels.

All in all, I choose to avoid them for my own sake.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 09:58
christirox

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Whoa...I tried a "Low Effective Carb & Sugar Free" white chocolate bar for the first time yesterday and boy, was I ever sorry. I had no idea it would cause that kind of reaction. Too bad I still had 4 hours of work left to go at the time. I've got public restroom paranoia so, needless to say, I was quite in alot of pain.