Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:35

Plan: nothing particular
Stats: 172/165/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Question I'm still not sure what carb number is correct

I understand that you are to use net carbs when counting carbohydrates. Can someone clarify for me - for instance the Atkins endulge bars say on the front of the box 2g net carbs, but when you look at nutrition facts on the back is says 17g of carbs per bar. The same with the subway sandwiches, it says 11g of carbs per Atkins sandwich, but when you look at the nutrition facts, it says 22g of carbs per sandwich. I have a "Dell" carb gram counter, which I have had for at least 18 years, and it has been well used over the years. This states that carb counting was rumoured to have started in the US Air Force Academy and limiting to 60 grams you will lose weight. I try to stay around the 50 mark and will lose weight. I talk to people on Atkins who say they stay around the 20 mark, considerably less than the 50 I do. Is Atkins counting different? If it was me I would use the nutrition fact carb count, not the number on the front of the Atkins bar box, which if you use the number onf the front of the box staying at 20 carbs would not be so bad. I have noticed the differences more lately what with counting carbs to be "in fashion" more these days. Again, I am somewhat confused, which is the right number and why the discrepancy? Is the Atkins plan have a different carb count that just counting carbs with nutritional facts? Thanks to anyone who can answer for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 10%

the atkins counts of net carbs do not include sugar alcohols (maltitol etc) which they believe have no or a minimal impact on blood sugar levels and so are taken away from the carb count (as well as the fiber content of the food)

So Net Carbs = Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohols.

It is a max of 20g of net carbs a day that Atkins people follow
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 18:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
It is a max of 20g of net carbs a day that Atkins people follow

But only on induction, which lasts for two weeks though it can be extended. After induction, you gradually add a few more carbs in, starting with different vegetables, fruit, nuts - there's a whole "carb ladder" - to find the level that you are still loosing weight at.

All low-carb plans allow the deduction of fiber. Manufacturers that use sugar alcohols use them because the impact is supposed to be negligible, but this is not necassarily true for all people.

One of the principles of low-carbing is to eat in a way that has minimal impact on insulin. Because there are fast acting carbs - sugar, flour and highly refined products - it follows that you choose foods that are slow and low in carbohydrates.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 18:48

Plan: nothing particular
Stats: 172/165/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your responses.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 21:25
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

If you're eager to lose weight, be careful with all these "LC junkfoods" out there (incl the Atkins brand) as there are issues with sugar alcohols and people stalling their weightloss curve. There is a great article on sugar alcohols here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html

Cheers,
/gil
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 17:49

Plan: "Toss-The-Scale"
Stats: 153/???/125 Female 64
BF:enough/to/share
Progress: 25%

I have a thing for sf Russel Stover mint patties which use sucralose but have a bit of maltiol in the chocolate coating - I wondered how much of this "junk food" I could get away with and still not stall... (?)

But the infomation provided via the locarb link recommends that all sugar alcohols be avoided in induction, so there you have it.

One thing I have recently learned of is that Sucralose is by no means a perfect substitue either... lab tests have unearthed that 10% of the sucralose molecule includes substances like arsenic and lead and has its own battery of side effects. This does not bode well for we sweet fanged dieters

Does anyone have words of advice on whether Atkins lo carb bread is OK on induction?

And what about no-sugar peanut butter?

And what do you guys do when you have a sugar craving?

Cheers and be well!

Last edited by cat-magnet : Fri, Feb-06-04 at 18:14.