Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 19:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default How do YOU do it???

I've been on induction for one week and one day....This is hard! I can't seem to find anything without some sugar in it? How do you do it? I ate all whole jar of mayo thinking had NO SUGAR in it..until I realized today it had when I tried to buy a new jar!! Bummer! I feel great and my ketosis strip looked very dark in the first 4 days..now they look MODERATE...

I bought some lemon herb chicken breasts and they have 2 grams of carbs per serving..

Seems like everything is loaded with one enemy or the other!!

Yaack!

I don't weigh myself. I just figured I could tell when my jeans feel better. They haven't. Am I expecting too much for first week?

I've been eating lots of bacon in the a.m. -- if they have sugar, what am I supposed to eat then...just cheese omelettes??!

I'll post more later 'cause I have tons of questions!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 19:16

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Take a deep breath.

This isn't a no carb diet....it is a low carb diet. Yes a lot of items have sugar in them. Trick is to find the lowest amount.

You should be consuming 20 carbs a day, the bulk of which comes from fresh salads and veggies. Fresh meats (the kind you get from the butcher) normally have zero carbs unless they have been marinated in something. Instead of buying the pre-seasoned meats try to do them at home where YOU control the ingredients.

It really isn't as hard as you think it is once you get the hang of shopping I have been doing this for 15 months now and it is a breeze compared to what I was buying.

Watch the bacon, ham and sausages....they are high in nitrates and salt which can make you retain water.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/235/200
BF:
Progress: 68%

I totally agree with agonycat, she's dead on. Don't get stuck on a super low carbs attitude. If you do? You WILL be miserable. If you give it enough time, you'll start experimenting so that you can have some variety. Try not to get in a hurry. Some weeks I loose only 1 lb., others, I loose 3. When I first started this new WOE, I stalled for several weeks but was determined to make it work. I kept experimenting till I found what I could eat and still loose and what I couldn't eat and loose. You too, will figure these things out. This site is a GREAT resource for research. Use it like you would an encyclopedia.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with moderate. Large makes us feel like we're loosing, loosing, loosing, but honestly, some of my best weeks (in terms of weight loss), have been when I was showing moderate ketosis.

Be patient... This Way Of Eating works!

Good luck and keep the faith!

Paul
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 08:47

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

It's best, imo, to think "how do I increase my health?" and weight loss will follow.

One answer to that question is always going to be, "Make almost everything myself." You can even make mayo! In addition to having sugar in it, commercial regular mayo is made of hydrogenated soy oil, which can raise cholesterol. Health food store mayo can be found made of canola and sweetened with either nothing or sometimes fruit juice--much better and only a little bit more money per jar.

Learning all those shopping tricks takes awhile. When you don't have much to lose, you won't experience miracles losses after this first week or two...and remember there's a lot of effort involved to learn about how to live a LC lifestyle. You're right--the world out there is filled with hidden sugars! We're all in nations of addicts, aren't we?

The good news is, everything you learn will last you for a lifetime.

Agony cat has it right--eat plenty of meat and eggs you make yourself at home, eat plenty of fresh salads and steamed LC veggies like brocolli (up these quantities a LOT after induction), and you'll increase your health and balance out to your own natural, healthy weight in six months or a year.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 10:56

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Have you lost 15 pounds in 8 days? Or have I got it wrong.

I wish it was as hard for me
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 287/198/135
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Have you read the book?

I don't mean to sound flip or anything however this really is the easiest diet I've ever done. You ate a WHOLE JAR OF MAYO? Sorry, I'm not a big mayo fan unless it's in egg salad, or tuna salad or chicken salad (all of which you can have on Induction).

Honest, this is the easiest program of eating I've ever followed. I did weight watchers and did the whole points thing, but I had to constantly worry about how many points were in something and then the points would change sometimes...it really took a whole lot more thinking, etc., than this is taking. I eat out and I don't have the potato and that's okay, I eat wings, and never ate wings on WW because I could only have like 3 for 9 points which was almost half my allotment and who can eat THREE wings? Ahhh, but now I've been able to go from consuming a dozen when I first started to being full on six. I attribute that to never really feeling hungry. Even if I think I might be hungry, I can eat something that keeps me feeling full...macadamia nuts (I know, not allowe don Induction, but that only lasts two weeks), a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or a piece of cheese, all of which would have put me pretty close (with those three wings) to all I was allowed to eat in a day.

I've accepted that my weight loss has slowed down and it's mostly because I don't exercise right now. HOWEVER, my weight is staying steady. It wasn't a week or two after I stopped WW that I'd gained 6 pounds! I can honestly say I doubt I'll ever "quit" this way of eating, there's no reason to in my opinion.

You can do this and you'll even grow to LIKE it and then eventually you'll love it and perhaps become radical about it
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 12:12

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Have you read the book?

Quote:
Originally posted by OneLowCarb
You ate a WHOLE JAR OF MAYO?

hehehe I don't think they ment a whole jar of mayo in one sitting. Shoot I have gone through several jars of mayo in the 15 months I have been on the Atkin's plan