Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/~165 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default hard heart beat

heres the thing. i have hyperactive thyroidism (i also posted this to the thyroid board). ive been taking medication for over a year now. almost a year and a half. i should be winding my medication down soon, my doctor seemed pretty confident that in june he can take me off the tapazole im taking. i asked him about this diet, he basically said what any doctor would say (and didnt really stress the point), "take it in moderation. dont completely cut out carbohydrates, just cut them down."

so im on day 7 today of the atkins induction diet. ive noticed one symptom that i had when i first had the hyperactive thyroid diagnosed, which is that my heart seems to beat harder then it normally should. i dont think its beating faster, just packs a little more punch. its only really noticable when im not doing anything, like sitting watching tv or reading in bed.

i dont know if this means maybe the thyroid is hyper again, or if its a typical thing to feel during the first days of the induction diet.

any idea if this is normal to feel during the induction diet?

Matt.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 10:20

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Hi mezo,

If it were me, I would sure ask my doctor about that since it is a recurring symptom. I'm hypo so I don't know much about hyper but I'd sure ask for advice from doc since you are so close to cutting dose. May have nothing to do with diet...never hurts to ask.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 10:30

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I experienced the same thing during Induction, and even to a much lesser extent, still experience them now.

I suffered heart palpitations when I started low carbing. Not a faster beat, but a heavier and more noticeable one. My doctor finally ordered some comprehensive cardio tests for me, and even hooked me up to a Holter (sp?) machine to monitor my hearbeat for 24 hours during and after excercise and everything in between.

During the moments I feel the palpitations, the monitor didn't record anything irregular. So, it might just be that though we notice our heartbeat more, it isn't a concern.

I think you if you perceive your heart to quicken, become heavier, or have any irregular palpitations, you should notify your doctor and perhaps get some tests--if only for your own sanity that all is well.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/150/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%

That is EXACTLY what I have been experiencing as well. In fact, I just posted that same question in my thread ("increased risk of ovarian and breast cancer?"). It is especially noticable at night, or when I am not active. I can almost feel my heart pound in my throat. Loud, heavy thumping. Scared me to death last night, thought for sure I was going to die. I have been feeling it ever since I started this diet 5 days ago. I guess it makes me feel a little better knowing that others experience the same thing. The question remains though: is it something we have to worry about?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 16:28

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Laika
I can almost feel my heart pound in my throat. Loud, heavy thumping. Scared me to death last night, thought for sure I was going to die.

Laitka,

This is exactly how I felt and what I experienced during Induction. For me, like you, it only happens at night when I'm at rest. I feel fine--even great--during other times especially during vigorous cardio. Actually, I feel better immediately after excercise.

The only time I experience the palpitaitons are during the evenings after having exerted energy for physical activity. I'm not sure if it should be a concern, but I think you'd feel better at the very least if your doctor assured you after some tests and monitoring that nothing is amiss.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 17:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederick
Laitka,

This is exactly how I felt and what I experienced during Induction. For me, like you, it only happens at night when I'm at rest. I feel fine--even great--during other times especially during vigorous cardio. Actually, I feel better immediately after excercise.

The only time I experience the palpitaitons are during the evenings after having exerted energy for physical activity. I'm not sure if it should be a concern, but I think you'd feel better at the very least if your doctor assured you after some tests and monitoring that nothing is amiss.

yah, like both of you, its most noticable when im less active. reading, laying down, sitting still, etc. when im actually doing something or moving around i dont notice it at all, if it even is still beating harder.

i dont feel it so much in my throat, as much as i seem to feel it throughout my entire torso (chest and stomach).

i am not too concerned just yet. personally, since i know most doctors are against going so low in carbs, im going to wait and see if i still feel it a couple days after the induction diet. (today is day 7, so 1 more week). of course, if it gets worse ill deffinately call then.

and like laika said, its reassuring knowing other people have experienced it too. gives some weight to it possibly being unrelated to my thyroid, and instead related to the diet itself.

Matt.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 08:00

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I agree Matt

I would hesitate to tell a doctor out of fear that he may blame the diet without checking out the facts. I am surprised to see heart palppitations and a hard heart beat as a complaint. It happens to me also. But, I read on this board that low-carbers should be taking potassium supplements and I think that has helped me.

Like you, I notice it when I am not doing anything And it worried me. But why don't you try a potassium tablet daily and see if that helps.

I hope that gets addressed in the near future.

Black57
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:38
Registered Member

BF:

i do take potassium suppliments. that and chromium, and calcium.

Matt.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 22:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Lightbulb idea

I was having a hard heart beat bout a half hour ago. I decided to take a potassium tablet and the hard beats ceased. Just for the heack of it, don't take any potassium until you have hard heart beats and see if they calm down.

Just and idea

Black57