Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 15:01

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 187/179/135 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Lack of appetite

I'm early on in Atkins, making great progress, but I've run into one thing that I could use advice on. My appetite has waned to such a degree that sometimes I feel nauseated when I try to eat.

I realize that protein tends to curb the appetite, and all of the advice I've seen is to try to eat regardless so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. But sometimes it's really unpleasant to eat, and nothing seems appetizing because I'm just not hungry.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas for how to stimulate an appetite so I can at least eat 3 times a day without feeling ill?

Any ideas are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 15:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157.5/129 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Wow! I'd take it as a blessing and listen to your body for the most part. I guess you do have to watch though - not eating can lower metabolism. Do you exercise regularly? My appetite really goes up a few hours after a tough workout.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 16:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/195/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Size-20/12/dunno!
Progress: 54%
Default Red

I have that problem all the time..LOL Belive it or now it is how I got to be 260 lbs. Lost some weight before starting atkins (started at 247). But I was unable to loose anything else on starve-your-self-to-death diets.
How did I solve it?
I eat 5 times a day. I know it sounds crazy but it works. I measure everything, figured out how many calories I should eat and went with that.
This keeps your metabolism going and because they are small calorie & carb controlled meals you don't feel like you over did it. It works great for me. May be you want to try it and see how it goes. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 16:00
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

This response may raise some brows, but I say if you're not hungry, don't eat. While you might feel a little lightheaded, it certainly won't kill you short term.

Most of us spent years, even decades, stuffing ourselves when we weren't hungry. I know I didn't get as fat as I did by denying myself.

When your hunger picks up after a day or so, you'll be ravenous and find that your LC food tastes delicious!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 16:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 208/179/170 Male 67 inches
BF:a whole bunch
Progress: 76%

i asked this same question yesterday, i feel weird too when i eat when i dont want to,

so today i made a batch of peanut butter cups, and doubled the recipe so they are 4 grams carbs each one,

i eat one or 2 throughout the day when im not so hungry, just to keep something in me
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 18:19

Stats: 232/216/142 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I occasionally have the same problem. I find that when I'm not hungry I just don't eat as much, but eventually my appetite returns and I'm eating again. Try and follow what your body tells you, that is of course you continue to have no appetite for a lengthy period of time! Then you should seek help.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 18:59

Plan: ..
Stats: 295/284.0/195 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 11%

Ive had that problem lately also. Im not very hungry that much anymore, well, hungry like i used to be. I put my foods into fitday.com but I never have alot of calories, but im also not starving myself. I eat when I want to, and I eat the low carb foods.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 19:28

Plan: Low GI/Sugar
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 100%

It kind of freaks me out how often and how much I'm eating these days. I'm ALWAYS hungry. I exercise in massive, massive amounts though and I guess I need. But I'm in the best shape of my life and not getting fatter so I think its alright.

The key for me is not to eat so much that I get that bloated, need to undue my belt buckle feeling that was so commonplace and I knew so well in my fatazz days.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 19:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 56//! Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

i've found that i'm forgetting to eat dinner lots of times... which NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER happened before this WOE.

(did i say NEVER?)

i'm shocked when i get hungry at 9:00 or 9:30 at night and realize i haven't eaten since lunch.

i have a small low-carb snack to just curb the hunger and am usually in bed by 11:00 or 11:30.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 19:46

Stats: 204/156/124 Female 5'1"
BF:BMI 38.5/30/23.4
Progress: 60%

Redegg, I went through this in my early days on the plan, too. I followed Dr. Atkins advice to the letter, and if it was five hours since I last ate, I ate something. I'd have a few bites of meat with a fair bit of fat of some kind, but I would not eat much. Call it a snack size bit of food. This keeps your blood sugar levels on an even keel, which prevents serious hunger pangs later on.

Eventually I came to recognize my hunger signals and they are pretty subtle. I used to get absolutely ravenous when my body wanted food. Now, I can feel a very minor urge to eat, centered in my stomach, which signals that I am hungry. After nine months on this plan, I sure listen to my body much better than I used to. I am on OWL now, so I am gradually adding in foods, and listening to what my body says about what that food is doing to me.

Hope that helps some.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 09:26

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 187/179/135 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great responses, they're very encouraging. My main concern with not eating is going into starvation mode, but maybe if I just add some smaller snacks throughout the day instead of going for three big squares, that will work better.

I appreciate all the feedback!

-- Lesa
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 09:57

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would have to believe you would feel hungry prior to going into starvation mode. Either that, or you are ALREADY in starvation mode and this is why you are not hungry anymore. IF this is the case, you're weight loss will slow and you'll feel tired a lot. IN which case, it would maybe help to jump start yourself with a little carb cycling.