Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/280/170 Male 5'-10
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile How to start exercising ?

Hi All !

In the past I worked in renovations and auto mechanics. I worked pretty hard so I really didn't need to do any type of "work out". Always felt that just sitting on a bench pumping iron was a little boring. Rather be hauling 6x6's and building something instead.
Now quite a few lbs heavier with an office job I find myself out of shape. Sure I run around all day long fixing puters and servers but that only helps my legs out.
I've never really had the motivation or ego to "pump it up!" lol. I would like to exercise but would need to start off with something that won't knock me off my feet. Knowing me I would give it up.
I have a mountain bike and have started riding here and there (still kind of cold up here lol). Really enjoy the wind in my face but my behind is complaining .
If anyone knows a way to slip into exercising that would produce a great feeling in a fairly short time without building too much muscle (want to keep losing weight). I would love to hear it.
I'm also a smoker (ducks the jeers !!!) but that will come to an end after I am well on my way to a lifetime of healthy eating and some more lost poundage.

Thanks in advance for your help/comments

Info: doing long term induction
Supplements: Ester C, Omega 3,6,9, Lecithin, Multi-Vitamin, Milk Thistle, Calcium with D, Vitamin E, Whey Isolate protein shakes
Current average weekly weight loss: 3lbs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:34
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Hiya, Dusty!

My personal suggestion for getting started--if you're physically able--is to walk/jog/run. You can do it outside, and you've said you like the feeling of the wind in your hair. It's great for fat burning, if you're consistent about it. And the best thing of all--have you ever had a runner's high? Once you experience that, NOTHING will get in the way of your running every day. Talk about addiction, lol--cigarettes have nothing on that.

Seriously, though, it's great for starting off. If you haven't done it before, begin by walking a mile or two every day at a pretty brisk clip, and then get medical clearance for jogging/running once you're up to it. Then you can add weight training, which IMHO is necessary but doesn't quite get you as high. LOL! You can see where my mind is.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 15:19
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Rose !

Thank you for the input. That "high" is exactly what I would need to keep me motivated to continue on an everyday type thing. Think that was my prob in my high school days lol

Thank you again
Dusty
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 22:58

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

just do it! just start and make the routine part of your life. I started exercising years ago by simply walking (hiking, actually,) around my neighborhood, especially the steep hills. Walking is very easy to modify by pace and route, and can be done anywhere, at any time. You won't build a lot of muscle, but it definitely IS a good workout. I would recommend a walkman and your favorite music.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 23:02

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Ooh! I just thought of something else. A GREAT short weight workout. I use "russian kettlebells". They look like iron bowling balls with handles. You can do MANY different exercises with them to work your whole body, even cardio is possible! It doesn't have to take a lot of time, either. The moves are highly effective. I prefer them strongly over regular weights. You can order them online at a site called
dragondoor.com.
I would recommend checking out the site!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 07:04
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Lilli I will check those free weights out !
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 18:45

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I think the best thing to do when you're just starting exercise is to do something that's fun. For some people (especially guys) that means something competitive. My SO loves to compete... golf, softball, basketball, raquetball, Monopoly, jacks, staring contests.... you name it. As long as he's competing with someone, he's having fun.

Point is, don't burn yourself out doing something you hate (I have a mountain bike, but I burned out using it because of the same fanny issue you alluded to). Think of major athletes and the passion they feel toward their sports, and what great shape they're in. They play for the love of it, not to get in shape. Do something you love!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 18:56

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Dusty, when I started out, I hated to exercise. The only thing that worked for me was a reward for doing it. So, my first exercise routine was my morning walk to Starbucks for a venti half-decaf drip. The coffee motivated me to walk and I soon discovered that there 10 different Starbucks stores within 3 miles of my office. Then I added a walk to a grocery or health food store for a low carb bar for lunch. Next I added an after-work walk to look of a new product to bring home, like a now carb snack or a new piece of clothing, now that I was losing weight. Eventually I worked up to a point where I was walking 20 miles a day (some before work, some at lunch, some after-work, and some in the evening. Eventually I joined a club and now have added spin classes, aerobic-step classes, weightlifting classes, etc. But it all started with that morning walk to starbucks!! Good Luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 18:58
Registered Member

BF:

Hi kmarie !

Well I took the plunge and bought myself an exercise bike today. I love going biking so I figured this would be the best way to get over the fanny issue and at the same time ride while watching Law and Order or something. (keeps the mind off the pain lol)
I don't want to build muscle right away so I will try putting it on a fairly easy resistance and ride for a half hour per day until I am convinced my weight loss is still going strong. Do not want to be a 200lber bulked, rather be a 175lber bulked lol !

Thanks for the tip on the competitive angle. I have a buddy who would challenge a flea to get to a cat so that just may come in handy !

Have a great evening
Grant
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 19:02
Registered Member

BF:

Hi J !

Hey that is a great idea ! There is a GNC near my office that I like to get Whey protein shakes from. Will walk there at lunch and take a few blocks round about way back to the office.
Wow 20 miles a day !!!!! Way to go !!! I think I would of done that for a chocolate extreme blizzard last summer lol.
If I may ask, what is spinning ? I have heard that term quite often and I know it doesn't refer to what the groupies did at Grateful Dead concerts )

Thanks
Dusty
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 22:39

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Dusty, Spinning is a term used for bicycling where a fitness instructor takes a group through a virtual bike ride. Usually they play music and have the fans going and turn the lights out and you imagine the road ahead. It could be a flat straight-away, a big hill or trying to pass someone. It's cycling, but more fun!! J