Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 08:13

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%
Default American to UK Conversions

Exactly how many grammes and mililitres are there in one cup? I'm trying to cook from the recipes here and it's really annoying.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 10:21

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

If I were you I would get a standard sized cup and use it. It would be easier than trying to translate everything into weights.
The problem is that different things weigh differently so a cup of flour weighs less than a cup of sugar etc. The recipes have been worked out with that in mind.

An american cup is 10 fl oz, I think, but I could be wrong. I used to have a Tala measure that had american cups on one side and other measurements all round it. Very useful and LOST, dammit.

Does anyone know where you can get a cheap standard cup measure? Lakeland Ltd have a lot of that sort of stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 10:24

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

No,. I lied, it is just over 8 fl oz, or very nearly 1/4 litre. There is a whole load of converter sites in the sticky about language differences at the top of this forum.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 15:27

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

A US cup is 8floz or 240ml, but as lucyr said, everything has different weights. 1c water weighs 240g but as far as I remember, 1c flour weighs about 120g, and 1c walnuts weighs 100g, etc.
You can find a list of ingredients with grams per cup in some cookbooks, but it really is much easer to buy a set of cups.

Have fun

med
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 04:29

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

You can buy a set of stainless steel measuring cups (1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup and 1/4 cup) for £3.50 at Tesco. They also do a cheaper version in white plastic, but they're not very nice.

I was shocked to see just how small a cup is