Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 21:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction
Stats: 193/173/170 Female 5'4
BF:33.1%/30.4%/24%
Progress: 87%
Unhappy Starting over.. cause no loss??

Well, I started Atkins on February 17th.. I lost 13 pounds all together but that was in the first week and a half. I've been doing Atkins since then but it's been on and off.. (I cheated a few times ) I'd heard that Atkins works the best when you're doing it for your first time. I haven't lost anything in the past couple of weeks and I'm wondering if the fact that I keep starting over is making me stall? It's really frustrating me. I don't want to quit because I hear all of the stories about how well it works and my first results were so great but I'm just scared that it isn't going to work for me anymore. I really hope I haven't ruined it.. I wanted to be around 130-140 by September (for my 18th birthday) I didn't think that was too unreasonable, That's about 40-50 pounds in about 5-6 months. Also, I've been looking for about a 5 pound loss every two weeks. That's reasonable isn't it? I need some serious help and encouragement.. I can't quit this time, I've been overweight for so long and I want to change that, to prove to everyone who believes I can't do it, that I CAN and most of all, I want this for myself, I'd be so much happier. Please help.. If you know anything, please comment. I would appreciate it so much. Good luck to you all.. Take care and God Bless
Amanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 22:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well, just stick with it, one of the things the big Adverts fail to tell you, is the weight loss slows down, but going off will not help at all, I know it can be hard to not see a loss, but, be patience, it will start up again. Just remember that, no loss and no gain.............. is progress, yes it is, Keep what you earned.

Cheers Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 22:50

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Amanda,

I'm a re-turnee to Atkins...re-started 2/24.........

If you made it through the first 2 weeks, what led you to cheat?..You're never going to make your goal if you cheat. By the 2nd week, the cravings should be pretty much behind you!. Why don't you start a journal and list what you're eating. That way, if any of the Veterans notice a problem , they can respond with their experiences.......You can't just go back and forth and expect it to work....You have to committ yourself to a new eating program. If you want to meet your goal, stick to the rules. The closer you get to your goal, the slower the loss will be. But, in the long run, sticking to the plan and not cheating will pay off..... Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 23:40

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

Stick with it, Sweetie. Don't waste the great progress you have made so far. You've only been on this diet for a month. You said that you wanted to lose the weight by your birthday -- didn't that mean that you were planning to diet until then -- 7 or 8 months? You knew it would take a while. The loss bounces up and down, but if you stick with it, it keeps bouncing lower and lower.

When you slip up (and you will do that occasionally), don't look at it as "going off the diet" and having to "start over". If you are driving somewhere and make a wrong turn, you don't go back home and begin the trip again. Instead, you get back on the right road as soon as possible (not the next day or after the weekend), and you keep going.

And please read some books on low carbing so that you understand the basic principles. We have a lot at our library. The more you know, the easier it is.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 23:52
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Don't give up, Amanda!

I'm 35 now, and I spent all of my teen years and my 20s fat. It aint' fun, and you really miss out on a lot. I was so self conscious about my weight that I didn't do all of the things I wish I'd done.

Put it this way, if you give up then in September you'll still be at the same weight - which you're obviously not happy with. But if you tough it out, then you'll be sure to have lost some, if not all of your weight by then.

I'm in the same boat - I had a good start. Twelve and half pounds in the first two weeks. Now, in my third week, I'm yoying back and forth with the same two pounds.

ANY diet slows down after the initial loss. There is no quick fix. But if you stick with it, and get right back on the wagon after you cheat or make a mistake (the very next meal, not the day day or next week), you will be sure to lose. Slow loss is better than no loss. And some weeks will be good and you'll have a whoosh of 2 or 3 pounds. Other weeks the scale won't budge at all.

BUT DON'T GIVE UP!! Being slim and confident is worth the trouble you're going through now. Oh how I wish I could get those years back and really stick to a weight loss plan.

You have the best years of your life ahead of you. Face them confident and strong. Do this for you! I know you can do it. Hang in there. You'll find lots of advice and support here. When you feel like cheating log on instead.

(This is the same pep talk I give myself! Slow but steady!!)

Good luck!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 08:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I also lost 13 lbs in the first 2 weeks, and then nothing for a month. From what I have read it takes your body a while to adjust after the weight loss. I didn't cheat either. So if you are cheating that will only make it worse. If you are going to do this you need to do it wholeheartedly. You can't half do a way of eating and expect it to work!!!! Just my personal opinion. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 14:29
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%

[QUOTE][If you are going to do this you need to do it wholeheartedly. You can't half do a way of eating and expect it to work!!!!

I totally agree here. Amanda you can do this. If you are willing to accept this as a life change rather than a "diet" you can suceed. You need to leave that "frustration" behind and look forward. Maybe Atkins is harder after the first try, but your not going to let that stop you right? If you believe in this WOE and it works for you (13lbs! I'd say it does) just eat! the acceptable foods and lots of em! Drink your h20 and think about what awesome new outfit you want to wear on your 18th Birthday Good Luck. Ellen

Last edited by geel : Sun, Mar-23-03 at 14:30.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 14:42

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Good for you getting back on, Amanda!

You're young so your goal may be quite reasonable, but even so, if you only lose half or 3/4 of the weight you want by doing Atkins, you're still so much farther toward your goal than you would be by doing nothing. I know that I for one wouldn't turn down a 20 or 30 lb. weight loss!! If it works out a little slower than you'd like, well... slow and losing is a whole lot better than doing nothing at all, or starving yourself and reaching your goal but rebounding big time afterward.

I know I have made the mistake of thinking that if I just got to a certain goal things would be great and I did anything to try to get to that goal, even if it meant eating ridiculously small quantites of food a day. And guess what- I did make it and I did get thin. I looked great. I felt wonderful! So why was I pushing the 200 lb mark again? Hmmmm....?

It's so hard to lose sight of the future when you don't see beyond your immediate goal, but if you can manage to keep it all in perspective and plan for your maintenance phase, you'll be in much better shape than if you race to the goal line only to start failing a month or two after your birthday.

Unfortunately, it's a lesson I have to keep reminding myself almost daily -- I want to be thin and fit and healthy the rest of my life -- NOT just for a very short while.

Pam
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 14:58
Registered Member

Stats: 162/156.2/130 Female 5.2
BF:75/72/65
Progress: 27%
Default come on Wannabeski

Hi

Come on don,t give up, carry on you will become slim for your birthday, defenatlyˇ

I did it this diet before and is working again for me now I am sure it will work for you, maybe you can do excercise or something. When I think that I could be slim now I feel ungry with myself... I am sure that is going to be the last diet for me I will become slim... as you can.

You have the support of this wonderful people.

Come on

SunnySpain
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction
Stats: 193/173/170 Female 5'4
BF:33.1%/30.4%/24%
Progress: 87%

Thank you all so much! You don't know how much all your comments mean to me. It really encourages me and makes me want to keep going. I know that this is going to take a while I guess I'm just afraid that it won't work because so many other diets in the past haven't. I'm going to try to stay away from the scale (I know it only discourages me and makes me feel bad) Afterall, I could be losing inches right? But I'm going to stick with this and I'm going to do it. I will be thin and healthy by my birthday and when I get there, I'm going to CELEBRATE!
Thank you all again so much!
Take Care and God Bless,
Amanda