Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:15

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 175/170/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default stevia brand suggestions?

I tried using stevia like 4 years ago and I just couldn't stand it . I'm wondering if something has changed over the years. My mom said there's something called super stevia that tastes better? I don't know. Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions for brand or form to get, I'd appreciate it. Someone posted some steveia thing for me, but I can't find it now. Maybe it's in the journal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:57

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, that was me, Sparker! I wrote in your journal about the stevia I have found (after trying many different brands over the years) that I really like--it's extremely concentrated and must be used very sparingly, but I find no aftertaste and it's satisfying to me in my coffee (for my RM and the one extra I have) and in my RM when I want to sweeten cottage cheese or strawberries, etc. But remember, there's also the caveat, explained by others in this forum who have more knowledge and experience than I, that even something like stevia--that is, anything that imparts a sweet taste, even if it's not "sugar"--may cause a rise in insulin and lead to increased cravings, etc. So experiment, if you want to, but listen to your body.

That said, the stevia I get is from Health Nuts in NYC, put out by KAL, called "Pure Stevia Extract Powder" (don't get the hybrid kind, that has another ingredient as well; the pure kind is what I get).

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 17:01

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I use Sweet Leaf Stevia Plus - I like it because it does sweeten, but it doesn't induce cravings. I don't try to think of excuses to use more of it. I just use a tiny sprinkle in tea. I like it in the shaker because a whole packet is too much.

http://www.wisdomherbs.com/products.../steviaplus.htm

Lila
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:05

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 175/170/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 14%

thanks guys. I borrowed a few packets from my neighbor...it's stevia blend with that fiber stuff..you know it? Anyway, can i have black tea with stevia anytime? Or it has to be within the 60 minutes?
My hubby is cooking right now an i really wanted some tea. So I am drinking some..but i don't know if we'll be done eating within 60 min of me drinking the tea.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:12
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I use sweet leaf stevia extract.

Stevia is very hard to work with. If you get too much it has a nasty bitter taste. There is also a point just before bitter where it is overwhelmingly sweet. Once you get the hang of it it's an amazing sweetner. It has none of the carby fillers or chemicals that artificial sweetners do, and the taste is addicting. It still should only be had at RM as it is a sweet item though.

For coffee or tea I just sprinkle a little on, a few granuals will do it. 1/3 tsp of this stuff equals 1 cup of sugar. It lasts forever.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 00:11

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

I like the purified extract myself, by NOW. It's very affordable, lasts forever, and is easy to use. It doesn't seem to cause any carb cravings for me, nor does it affect my blood sugar. But you need to experiment for yourself.