Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Changing thyroid levels on meds.?

Can anyone tell me what causes changes in thyroid levels? I was diagnosed Hypo over a year ago and after months of dosage changes, finally got stable levels and stayed that way for 6-8 months. Now suddenly, my levels are off again and we're back to the dosage yo-yo game. I started Atkins 2 weeks before the off-level testing. Would this have made any difference? What causes changes in thyroid levels anyway? DUH...I know I should know this...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:45

BF:
Default Thyroid levels

Bumping this post up to try and get an answer! Still struggling to get levels regulated! I think I have bottles of Synthroid for every dosage available !
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 14:31
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I maybe in the same boat with you. I was diagnosed hypo a year and a half ago. Suddenly my hair is falling out and my temp over several mornings averages 97.2. Then I looked at my nails and they all happened to break off at the same time. Guess I need to get my thyroid checked more often than once a year.

I have a suspicion that some of the changes downward are simple aging and stress. Maybe being on any kind of diet will lower your thyroid if your prone to that? Maybe exercise and eating healthy could increase it? Heck maybe even the weather? I always feel more sluggish in winter.

Have you had any symptoms when you're thyroid level changes?

Last edited by nawchem : Tue, Feb-17-04 at 14:33.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:23

BF:
Default Thyroid levels

I've never really had any of the bad physical symptoms of Hypo. I did have problems with depression and lack of energy for years that has now possibly been attributed to Hypo. But I can't tell when my levels change and I don't know what changes them. I can't seem to get an answer anywhere as to why the levels would change when you are on medication and stable. I was stable on meds for almost a year and then suddenly BANG...all out of whack again! !!!!??????

Can anyone give some ideas how to keep thyroid levels stable?
Is there a nutritional way?
I am not talking about stopping thyroid meds. just staying stable ON THEM! I am so tired of constantly having to switch dosages of Synthroid and not knowing what made things go wrong?
IS IT OUT OF MY CONTROL????

The main reason I am so concerned is that I have been on Atkins for over 4 months now (Induction ) and have not managed to lose 1 OUNCE!!!! Very concerned that this may be thyroid related !
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 17:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Kat,

There are a number of reasons why your TSH might be fluctuating.
• Changes in potency from batch to batch of your thyroid pills. Synthroid brand has been notorious for this, other brands have tended to have more stringent quality controls in place.

• Possibly your blood samples have been tested at different labs, or some other lab mix up

• Have you changed the timing of when you take your thyroid pill? This can affect the way it's absorbed, whether with or without food. Thyroid is best taken first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.

• Increased fiber in the diet. Or if you're taking fiber supplements such as psyllium. These need to be taken at least 2 hrs away from the thyroid pill, as fiber can inhibit absorption of the drug.

• Calcium and/or iron supplements .. these also can inhibit absorption of thyroid medication if taken at the same time of day.

• Are you eating a lot of soy foods, protein powders or low-carb bars, baking mixes etc with soy in them? Soy has been shown to worsen hypothyroid in some people .. you should avoid or sharply limit your intake of soy foods.

• Other foods besides soy may possibly affect the thyroid. Vegetables from the brassica family such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts .. and others. The "goitrogenic property" is destroyed by cooking, so avoid or limit consumption of these foods in their raw state.

• Other prescription medications you may be taking .. hormones such as estrogen or birth control pills, antidepressants, cholesterol-lowering drugs, some herbal supplements.

• Stress and Illness can affect thyroid levels .. including chronic lack of sleep.
These factors and more are all explained at Mary Shomon's Thyroid Information site.

hth,

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 11:05

BF:

Finally! Some answers!!! Thank You!
Kat
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 22:22
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hi Kat,

I've was through all sorts of hypo for years. Unrelated to the hypo, I developed thyroid cancer so had my thyroid removed. Now, I am REALLY hypo without my meds.

I do recall that when I was hypo, I had a number of different doses of meds. It generally increased and did not completely stabilize for a number of years. My sister had the same situation -- she was hyper, took radioactive iodine and was stable with no meds for a number of years. All of a sudden, she became hypo and has had her meds adjusted a number of times.

At the moment, I am kept in an unnatural semi-hyper state due to the cancer. It does make a difference on the weight loss -- I think it's tough to lose if you are hypo. I could always tell when I was hypo -- I would just feel dull, a bit tired and as though I lost my "edge".

I see you have been on induction for a long period of time... I would talk that over with your doctor. It seems unreasonable that you would not be losing after that long stretch.

Also, have you tracked your food and activities on www.fitday.com. I know a lot of us have trouble losing even on induction unless we watch the calories to some degree and keep them below our daily usage. One little phrase in the Atkins book caught me -- about extra protein ingested turning to fat. Until I started tracking, I was losing quite slowly and the extra protein was the culprit, I believe.

I'm rooting for you!! Hope you get it all back in order soon.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 12:36

BF:
Default Thyroid levels

Hi, hummelda!
Thanks for the info! My thyroid levels were fairly stable for almost a year on meds. and then went whacko about the time I started Atkins. Over the past 4 months have had bloodwork done twice and dosages changed each time, so I really don't know from one month to the next if my levels are stable or not.
I would like to think that this is the reason I am having so much trouble with the weightloss ! Then when my meds were right I would just lose,lose,lose!! ! I noticed that you were on Suzanne Sommers now. How is that different from Atkins and do you think it is a better bet for thyroid folks?
Just curious...I know everyone's different.
Good luck on your continuous loss!
Kat
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:56
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hi Katlyn,

Thanks for the encouragement!

The Suzanne Somers approach says that you can have carbs, fat, protein, and fruit but they must be eaten in specific combinations.

Carbs must not be rice, sugar, potatoes, white flour, etc etc but can only be whole grains or fat-free milk products. Veggies exclude things like carrots, peas, squash, pumpkin, and corn.

Allowed types of meals are:

1. Carbs with/without veggies
2. Fat/protein with/without veggies
3. Fruit
4. Fruit followed at minimum 20 minutes later with a carbs meal

If you want to switch the type of meal you are having, leave 2 hours between them. It sounds quite complicated but isn't really once you read the book a few times.

I have oatmeal and bran for breakfast. Other than that, I eat meal type 2 for lunch and dinner - completely low-carb. I usually have 40-60 carbs a day.

I don't do this for any thyroid-related reason; I was on Atkins for over 3 months and found the lack of fibre in Atkins gave me severe constipation that even Metamucil couldn't budge. Veggies don't do the trick for me.

Good luck on finding a program that works for you! Thyroid problems are so tough to regulate and just when you think it's all balanced, it creeps up and changes again!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 00:32

Plan: none
Stats: 160/150/140 Female 67
BF:
Default re

I'm not sure why it always changes. But my dose seems to go up every time I get checked. I started at 50mcg 6 years ago and I am now up to 250mcg.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 09:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber77K
I'm not sure why it always changes. But my dose seems to go up every time I get checked. I started at 50mcg 6 years ago and I am now up to 250mcg.

It's normal (and prudent ) to start at a very low dose then gradually increase until blood tests are within the desired range AND you're relatively symptom free. The reason it's done this way is because there could be side effects, especially racing heartbeat and increased blood pressure. If you've been low thyroid for a long time ... and most of us are that way for many months, possibly years before it gets diagnosed .. you don't want to suddently blast in the full dose of hormone.

What constitutes "the right dose" is highly individual .. some will require more, some less. And as noted in my previous post here, there are many reasons why our individual needs can vary too during different points in our lives. Other hormones have a big impact on thyroid function .. if you're perimenopause or menopausal, that can have an effect on the thyroid.

It's possible too, that you need to add some T3 hormone for optimal levels. Synthroid and levothyroxine only contain the T4 hormone. There's more information about T3 hormone here, so you might want to talk to your dr. about that.

hth,

Doreen