Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 08:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 138/135/118
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Whipped cream & Salad dressing

Hi everyone. Please help me with the confusion about whipped cream. Someone told me that we can use Redi whip that is sugar free, but I have not found any. Is this true? Also, when picking a salad dressing, just about all of them have sugar as an ingredient even though the carb count is 2g, are these dressings ok? thanks for your help.!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 13:57

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Don't know about the whipped cream. I generally get heavy cream for my cream requirements.

As far as salad dressings go, some purists might say don't eat the ones with ANY added sugar, stick to oil & vinegar or mayonnaise. I personally find dressings with sugar further down in the list (Caesar, most creamy dressings). There are several labeled as 1 gram for 2 tblespoons. The big rule is to stay away from very sweet dressings such as French, Russian, and things made with balsamic vinegar.

Salad with a couple extra dressing carbs doesn't hurt anybody does it? Never heard of "salad stalls".

Happy low carbing!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 17:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Redi-Whip and other such are very low carb, but the carbs they do have come from sugar. During Atkins, it's best to avoid sugar as much as possible. Ergo, if you can, use your own whipped cream as opposed to commercially whipped products.

As for salad dressings, I haven't found any without sugar, either. I use them sparingly, choose ones that are fatty (like blue cheese), and don't worry excessively about it since they haven't been a hindrance to losing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 07:19

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 138/135/118
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the info!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 255/240/150
BF:
Progress: 14%

I use the Newman's Own salad dressings. They have no sugar. I use the Olive Oil & Vinegar. But there are others. They have 1 carb per 2 tbls. That's plenty of dressing. Dianne