Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/185/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy Scared!!!

I went to give blood at the Red Cross yesterday. I've NEVER had a problem with my iron until I started this diet. When I went yesterday, they said it was drastically low. Is this in relation to the diet?? I am just trying to figure out what to do, and I reallly hate going to the doctor!! Any advice?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:08

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

I wouldn't be too worried! Take an Iron supplement (you are taking supplements, right?), eat your red meat and definitely start eating more iron-rich veggies, especially spinach! When I showed up to be anemic in high school, all the Doc did was "prescribe" me iron supplements.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:04

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wouldn't take an iron supplement without a doctors prescription but as Shelly mentioned I increase your red meat intake and make sure to take a multivitamin.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:23

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Unless your really resrticting your veggies, I can't see it would be this way of eating, and low Iron does not happen over night it is a slow long process from what I understand. Check with your Dr.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 07:13

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

How are your TOMs usually? That's the #1 reason women have an iron deficiency or anemia.

I vote for the leafy greens (spinach, kale) as well as broccoli and increasing your red meat consumption, too.

Even tho you hate going to the doctor maybe just to ask for a blood test? To confirm what the blood bank told you...then get tips on what to do if there is a problem. You don't want to have low iron with all the exercise you're doing and leaving for the military--anemia will make you soooo tired and worn out and not able to recover as quickly, either.

(yes, I am a mother nag, nag, nag )
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 12:57
Registered Member

Stats: 203/185/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thanks...I did go to the doctor, and they diagnosed it as "menstural anemia". I'm on iron supplements (they make you so nauseated!!), and it has to reach a certain percent before I can leave. He also upped my carbs! (boo) but hey, my health is more important. I am noticing a change in energy, since I've been on the supplements for about 5 days. Thanks!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:07

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

coming from a former anemic...just remember that it takes a long time to recover...my doc told me once you are anemic, it takes a year to build back up the bone marrow supply!
and believe me thats what it took...I also got every cold and flu that came around so be prepared!!

and eat all your iron rich foods (did you know chocolate has iron in it ? hehe )

good luck
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 06:26

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

That's so true about taking a long time to replace iron stores. A friend of my mom's took well over a year....she was VERY low.

If the supplements make you nauseous, try taking them after you eat. I used to get sooo sick when I was pregnant and taking my prenatal supplements, if I took them on an empty stomach (no, it wasn't morning sickness ). I always wait until I've had a proper meal before taking my supps, for this reason!

Good luck to you! Rootin' for ya!

Nicole